Shrimp Vase Journal - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Oh? I didn't know that. Well, if this is the type of glass where this is a problem the damage has already been done.

[sigh] Its been filled with that water for an hour or so.
Okay so after further reading. It's cooling or heating of the glass too quickly. I'd assume your vase is safe. It must be extreme temperatures.
ursamajor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Oh? I didn't know that. Well, if this is the type of glass where this is a problem the damage has already been done.

[sigh] Its been filled with that water for an hour or so.
I don't think it's so much the temperature as it is how quickly the glass changes temperature. If you pour boiling water into an ice-cold glass for example, it might crack. Or in my case, I defrosted a frozen windshield too fast and it cracked. If it didn't crack and it's holding water, you should be fine. Just change the temp gradually to reduce stress on the glass.
Econde and Discusluv like this.

Everything flows.
post #33 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I apologize for the scare!
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

post #34 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursamajor View Post
I don't think it's so much the temperature as it is how quickly the glass changes temperature. If you pour boiling water into an ice-cold glass for example, it might crack. Or in my case, I defrosted a frozen windshield too fast and it cracked. If it didn't crack and it's holding water, you should be fine. Just change the temp gradually to reduce stress on the glass.
Oh good. No, not boiling water. Just hot water from tap. But, I will be more aware of this next time.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
I apologize for the scare!
Dont apologize! I am grateful to you for making me aware of this. Ive heard this before, but it was so long ago that it had faded from memory.
Econde likes this.

post #35 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:00 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
Wow, that's going to be plenty of space.

Have you decided on substrate? Active substrate like Controsoil or something inert like sand?

Quote:

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #36 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Wow, that's going to be plenty of space.

Have you decided on substrate? Active substrate like Controsoil or something inert like sand?

This one I want to do some crystal shrimp-- Im thinking this one:

Super Red Crystal 1 line (10) VIN - BUYPETSHRIMP.COM

I also really like this: I would love to get a look like this except with dark substrate. I love the look of the moss covered smooth rock and the simplicity of using just one plant like the Umbrella Hair Grass Eleocharis Parvula. I dont know how well this plant would do without Co2 though.

Substrate will be active, black.

Thinking that interesting piece of wood- Hornwood with some rock and minimal plants.

Last edited by Discusluv; 09-25-2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: more info
post #37 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I decided to just use the substrate I have-- a bag of Fluvel stratum. I think the rich brown color will look nice in here.

I also decided to put the vase on ( a very stable) an end of the kitchen counter. This will make more sense being that this is not an "aquarium" designed vessel. Better safe than sorry. It does appear to be leak-proof and secure after having it full and sitting on counter for 5 hours yesterday.

While I keep going back and forth on what this vase will look like- I know I want an arrangement that is clean, uncluttered and has only 2-3 different types of plants. This will make the shrimp really become the stars of the arrangement.

With this in mind I ordered some Manten stone. I may or may not use any wood with it that i already have. Ill see what the rock looks like when it comes and decide from there.
Plants will be:
Eleocharis montevidensis
Echinodorus tenellus

Crypt Parva

Ken Keating1 and Duboisi like this.

Last edited by Discusluv; 09-26-2019 at 10:27 PM. Reason: more info
post #38 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ive decided... Ive decided---
Ive decided nothing- lol! I need to quit saying that----

I ended up ( not decided taking the Controsoil out and, instead, planning ( not decided ) to use an inert substrate.

Im going to go with what @somewhatshocked suggested for this vase-- some Neo's and Tigers. Type? -- am yet- undecided.

Here is the sand:

Filter:

vvDO and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #39 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 02:20 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Inert sand like that will give you more opportunity for shrimp. Also gives you space for neutral-ish water fry when they need a place to grow.

I suggest Tangerine Tigers. Then add some Cherries once you have a sizable population in our other tank. Red Tigers are also interesting shrimp if you can find them.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #40 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not sure if you have a light yet, but the two on my 25G are Asta 20s.

Gives off plenty of light which looks more natural than luminescent, if that makes sense. They should also come with two lenses, so you can choose the spread of the light. The dimmer is pretty decent. They do get hot though and they are quite heavy, just so you know.
Discusluv likes this.

Journal

post #41 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 02:10 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Amy, I own that filter and it's great, but please make sure you got a "Baby Protector." If you didn't inquire with your dealer, the grates are way too wide for new babies. You'll be good until one can get there, just something to know about before you have a prized berried female.

Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #42 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 03:45 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

The baby protector is nice and something the should include with it. Instead of charging $15, I mean.

One thing I've done with similar filters is stretch out some black stockings and secure them with rubber bands. Not unsightly if hidden behind plants or hardscape but certainly not as nice as the protector.
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #43 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for making me aware of the issue with the filter! I have some pieces of window screen that I got from Jake that I may just silicone on to prevent any baby shrimp from getting sucked in. That out to work.

Everything comes today for the vase, so Ill be playing around with different designs. for as long as I can stand not becoming frustrated that is...

But--- Yesterday when I was at Aqualab in San Jose they had several different vases that had wood that extended far beyond the waterline of the vase and had different plants ( air-plants primarily) glued on to them. They had bromeliads, tillandsia, spanish moss, and some other air-plants that I couldn't identify. Below the waterline they had a reed-type grass ( that they allowed me to buy a small bit of) that grew well out of the water line that was a deep green-- the contrast next to the wood was really striking! Depending on the size of the vases, they had fish, shrimp, or both in them as well. Well, the husband was intrigued by these vases so he picked out a piece of wood on slate that he wants to try to duplicate the look of these arrangements. So, now the vase has been co-opted -- not sure my initial plans for it will be met. But, was happy that the husband actually took an interest in the hobby-- so will not complain.
--
Of course, most of the vases had co2 so many of the plant under the water line I cant grow. But, I have some plants coming that should be a good substitute. Will take pictures of the wood a little later...

post #44 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 05:43 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Most plants can be grown without CO2 injection and all that goes along with it. They're generally just not going to be as compact or grow as quickly or fully.

Some plants require high lighting (and CO2, dosed ferts, etc) to fully color up but can still be grown in their normal state just fine.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #45 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Its done! sort of
Extremely cloudy but get the idea...
Im very pleased how it turned out--- still need to add the crypt parva and some moss. And, of course, will be getting some tillandsia, small bromeliads, and such -

Looking into different lighting options as well because this one is not going to work.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode