225 Gallon Planted Tank Build - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow. Not only is this a really cool and impressive build, but I am awestruck that you replaced the front panel on a large tank like that. Brass ones, my friend. Looks fantastic too. Well done.

Following...
iamaloner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:32 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
Went with 60lbs of Seiryu Stone and 60lbs of Leopard Stone. Wish I purchased a bit more but after many failed attempts I think I am happy with the results.

Plants will be going in today and I will post some pictures when it is complete and the tank is filled.

Is the inside of that stone to the left hollow? Is that a doorway?!

YaBoiHunt
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

225 G?

You have my attention!
Greggz and makeme like this.

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some new photos on the tank with plants.
Disappointed, I took pictures when it was first planted and how empty the tank looked but for some reason they did not save, so can not show the amount of growth of the plants, but it's been incredible how fast they are growing and spreading, did not expect this rate of growth. Still tweaking a few things, starting to see a bit of algae on the glass and rocks, but nothing too serious.

Plant List:

Dwarf Grass
Alternanthera Renicki Mini
Helanthium Quadricostatus
Staurogyne Repens
Ranunculus Inundatus
Weeping Moss

Currently injecting CO2 into the sump right next to the Pump, will be turning it off once fish arrive.
For fertilization, just used tabs in the sand.
The light stays on for 7 hours per day.

Bump:

Bump:

For the sump.
Water flows through Filter Floss, then into 2 more stacks of filter floss and sponge, into Seachem Matrix, then some bioballs floating and on the ground, into one more stack of floss and sponge then the pump.
Working on building a lid as evaporation is a bit too much, need to clean up the wiring as well, may also set up the ATO as I have a chamber for it.
Currently using 2 Gyre 230s to move the plants, do believe I'll need to adjust once the fish are in.

Wish the pictures were a bit nicer, don't know how you guys take some pro shots haha.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'd be soooo tempted to add a colony of Julidochromis to inhabit the Left Mountain
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fish Stock List:

FOR SURE GOING IN THE TANK:

50 x Cardinal Tetras
50 x RummyNose Tetras
20 x Ottos
10 x Juli's Corys
10 x Panda Corys
10 x Nerite Snails
5 x 4-6" Different Catfish
2 x BristleNose Pleco

Option 1)

4-5 x Discus
Would love to have them. I know many owners have them with Tetras but speaking with an experienced Discus hobbyist, he states there's no way you can give them a proper temperature without putting the other fish in stress. They simply like hotter water.

Option 2)

20 x Different Rainbowfish, probably 4 or 5 different kinds.

Option 3)

15 x Black Ruby Barbs
15 x Odessa Barbs

Would love to hear your opinions and comments on the list, what should I change, add, or get rid off. All criticism is welcomed.

Thanks
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
how are the double gyres working out? are they picking up all the detritus? are you running both of em in constant mode or do they alternate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:02 AM
Algae Grower

Wow, this 225G is impressive.
Is the CO2 next to the inlet of the return pump being distributed well?
I am looking for a solution to pump my CO2 in a sumped set up.

Following!
chayos00 likes this.

Just in for information... and planning, a lot of planning
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Fish Stock List:

FOR SURE GOING IN THE TANK:

50 x Cardinal Tetras
50 x RummyNose Tetras
20 x Ottos
10 x Juli's Corys
10 x Panda Corys
10 x Nerite Snails
5 x 4-6" Different Catfish
2 x BristleNose Pleco

Option 1)

4-5 x Discus
Would love to have them. I know many owners have them with Tetras but speaking with an experienced Discus hobbyist, he states there's no way you can give them a proper temperature without putting the other fish in stress. They simply like hotter water.
Firstly, that's a gorgeous tank!

I'm an advocate of option 1. From memory, I know they'll do well with cardinals, rummynose and panda cats as they're ok with higher temps. I'm not sure about the rest on that list but I'm sure others with more experience will chime in on that front. If I may...

With your dark aquarium background I'd avoid the "pigeon blood" discus types as they'll "pepper" while trying to fit in/camouflage with their environment. These are just a few of the varieties but I figured I'd post them here.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
how are the double gyres working out? are they picking up all the detritus? are you running both of em in constant mode or do they alternate?
They were doing an amazing job picking up all the detritus and keeping the plants waving back and forth. Had them on opposite ends and different sides but even on the lowest settings they were just too powerful for the 10 test Cardinals, so I plan on putting them on timers to come on for 15mins every 4 hours, 3x a day. Still throw up all the detritus and give the fish a break. I am using XF230's so technically on paper underpowered for my tank but actually using them, I think 1 would actually be fine for the whole tank on a higher setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janci View Post
Wow, this 225G is impressive.
Is the CO2 next to the inlet of the return pump being distributed well?
I am looking for a solution to pump my CO2 in a sumped set up.

Following!
Yes right next to the inlet of the return pump, working out great. The only issue with that is you see the CO2 "bubbles" in the main tank, almost looks like carbonated water, doesn't give you a clear looking tank, but I don't mind that as of right now because once the tank is fully stocked I don't plan on using CO2 anymore.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaPrime View Post
Firstly, that's a gorgeous tank!

I'm an advocate of option 1. From memory, I know they'll do well with cardinals, rummynose and panda cats as they're ok with higher temps. I'm not sure about the rest on that list but I'm sure others with more experience will chime in on that front. If I may...
Thank you very much for the information, very helpful. I have decided to go with Discus and updated my stocking list.

Plan on keeping the tank at 82F

6 x Discus
40-50 x Cardinal Tetras
40-50 x RummyNose Tetras
20 x Ottos
10 x Blackfin Corys
10 x Sterbai Corys
10 x Nerite Snails
4 x 4-6" Different Catfish
2 x Zebra Ancistrus

Still deciding if I have the room for 50 Cardinals/Rummy, might reduce the number to 40 each as the rocks do take up a lot of space. Switched the Corys to types that can handle 82F as well.
Greggz, chayos00 and RollaPrime like this.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
They were doing an amazing job picking up all the detritus and keeping the plants waving back and forth. Had them on opposite ends and different sides but even on the lowest settings they were just too powerful for the 10 test Cardinals, so I plan on putting them on timers to come on for 15mins every 4 hours, 3x a day. Still throw up all the detritus and give the fish a break. I am using XF230's so technically on paper underpowered for my tank but actually using them, I think 1 would actually be fine for the whole tank on a higher setting.

Yes right next to the inlet of the return pump, working out great. The only issue with that is you see the CO2 "bubbles" in the main tank, almost looks like carbonated water, doesn't give you a clear looking tank, but I don't mind that as of right now because once the tank is fully stocked I don't plan on using CO2 anymore.

Bump:

Thank you very much for the information, very helpful. I have decided to go with Discus and updated my stocking list.

Plan on keeping the tank at 82F

6 x Discus
40-50 x Cardinal Tetras
40-50 x RummyNose Tetras
20 x Ottos
10 x Blackfin Corys
10 x Sterbai Corys
10 x Nerite Snails
4 x 4-6" Different Catfish
2 x Zebra Ancistrus

Still deciding if I have the room for 50 Cardinals/Rummy, might reduce the number to 40 each as the rocks do take up a lot of space. Switched the Corys to types that can handle 82F as well.
Wowzers! You're going with Discus? I'm really happy I have another Discus Journal to follow. @Discusluv and @DiscusDave have a ton of info so I'd encourage you to reach out to them...

In terms of your stocking, I'd replace the nerites with ammano shrimp. I've come across a lot of debate about snails with discus and their ability to pass nasties to discus so for me it's a grey area that I, personally, wouldn't chance. I'm not sure about blackfin corys in terms of temp. And I'll preface the following by stressing that it's just personal preference... Personally, I'd go with one large school of cardinals, rummynose, or rasboras when they move in unison /school as one large school it is a thing of beauty.

In terms of discus my limited advice would be as follows.

.Research and purchase from a quality breeder. I believe this to be one of the most important factors. Stendker discus is the most reputable here in Europe though I'm not sure about the United States
.Don't fret if they refuse food for a while, they can go up to a month turning their nose up at whatever you try to feed them. I had one discus that went 17 days refusing to eat and then turned into a savage on day 18's feed

.Watch their behavior. Hanging out at the top or bottom acting subdued or staying in the same area is a sign that something is wrong even if they look like they're in good health, physically.
.Quarantine and proactively treat of internal and external issues. I use these two treatments
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
.Growth occurs quite quickly in my opinion. They should grow in total circumference, maintaining their round shape as opposed horizontally
.Nitrates. I found several discus tank collapses attributed to nitrates on the internet, especially when the keeper is feeding meaty food mixes. In a normal planted tank you might get up to 20ppm within a week. But feeding discus twice a day (which I believe is the minimum) could get you to 40ppm within 5 days.
.Lastly, water changes. Discus keepers have been debating this topic for an entire age. Some recommend turning over 100% of your water once a week. Others are growing huge discs with 20-30% Personally, I believe it comes down to balance and the previous point of nitrates. If you can keep the nitrates down then 50% seems to suffice. Persoanlly I don't have enough plants to lower nitrates so I do a 31g WC Wednesday and Saturday and a 52g on Sunday to keep my nitrates at 10ppm

If you've already taken these things into consideration then my apologies in advance.

Last edited by RollaPrime; 08-26-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Error
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You are in Canada, so I would recommend Canadian Aqua Farm. They have discus ( very rare in the states) from Alexander Piwowarski in Germany. This would be my pick.

Discus - Canadian Aqua Farm

You could also contact local aquarium society to see if there are any local breeders of discus near you.

Your stocking sounds good overall with a couple exceptions.

The Blackfin corydoras-- is this Corydoras leucomelas? If so, they top out at 79 degrees as the upper threshold of temp in given year. So not a good choice.

In the following list you will find substitute corydoras species. There are not many to choose from--- and the ones that do fall into this category are often rare and expensive. An exception to this would be brochis splendens which is commonly found at LFS.

I also included a listing of other catfish species that would fall under the temperature guidelines. You will notice that many are not compatible with discus. You cannot have catfish that are too active which make discus nervous. Many get massive in the aquarium and will prey on smaller fish like corydoras and tetras as well.
Good choices are ancistrus and baryancistrus in group.
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common...distr_id_url=0

Edit:
My link isnt working with chosen criteria. So,
when get to the site I linked, choose Cat-eLog from top of page. On this page under species search , choose the temperature desired: temp minimum ( use 78-82 degrees) and maximum. Hit search. This will take you to a list of various catfish species within temp range of discus.
Hamsnacks and Janci like this.

Amy
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just some updated pictures and some new friends.

50 x Cardinals
20 x RummyNose
10 x Ottos
5 x Nerite Snails
6 x Discus

Still an empty tank, waiting on the shipment for the remaining fish, but the Discus have arrived and they are doing well.

Greggz, rzn7z7, chayos00 and 7 others like this.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Real nice looking discus ya got there. Nice looking tank too. What kind of catfish is that? The name is eluding me right now. GL
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:16 AM
Algae Grower

Wow!! Really something to drool over! Following, as I am curious to know how your discus fare in a community setup. I want to have them in my community tank I am setting up but my reading on this does not seem to be encouraging.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode