d2's Planted Tank Adventurama - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 452Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I need to make a decision on the filter.
I'm down to two.
Fluval FX6 and Oase Biomaster 600 Thermal
One major concern is the power. The fluval is rated much higher, but how accurate are these number? I read somewhere that the Oase rating is much closer to reality. Maybe the two aren't that far apart???

Pros for Fluval:
Stronger Flow
Self starting
Auto air evacuation
Can probably get away with one for awhile

Pros for Oase:
Integrated Heater
Easy clean pre-filter
Smaller diameter tubing fits Lilly Pipes
Customer service

Probably going to need two of the Oase right away or fairly quickly. Or at least one plus a power head?

Interested in what everyone else thinks.

Thanks!

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:01 PM
Planted Member

Hey man, glad to see this is finally starting to come along! I'm just down the street if you need help with anything hit me up!

My take on a couple of things. For the filters, the Oase are pretty awesome, especially because of the integrated heater! If you change up the media setup in them they are easy to work with and effective. They have a priming bulb on them which is very effective, as well as an integrated dry break for the tubing. Very clean solution all in all, just need to delete some of the blue foam blocks and replace with a good biomedia, and run a finer filter pad (and possibly some Purigen) up top. I would run two of them so you get added flow and added filtration.

UV filter all the way. I don't know how it took me so long to start using them, but I have an AquaUV on both my reed and planted tank now and they are absolutely awesome. They polish water, kill diseases, and kill algae - why would you not want to use one?!? That being said you need a much lower rating for FW compared to SW so the one you have may be a massive amount of overkill.

For CO2, if you don't want to build a medical grade one just get a GLA system. I have several of them and they work well, are well built. Get a PRO-SS dual-stage changeover setup and you will be set!
Greggz, d2creative and carlsj2012 like this.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 08-14-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: No vendor reviews
post #33 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

I haven't used either canister filter, but when I watch youtube videos of planted tanks in the 120 gallon class, if they are using 1 oase then they are all using 2. If you decide to go that route I wouldn't hesitate for a second to just buy 2 out of the gates.

I have seen people running fluval 6's on 120 setups. The King of DIY is running a single fluval 6 right now on a 120.
Greggz and d2creative like this.

post #34 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
IMO always better to run two filters on a tank that size.

With two filters you have more flow, and more control of that flow. The filters get dirty at a slower pace. More debris is removed from the water column. When you clean one filter, the bio field of the other is untouched.

And if for some reason one needs service, it's no emergency as the other filter can keep things going while you get it figured out.

There is no such thing as too much filtration. The more the better.

Good luck and enjoying following this build.
ange062 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #35 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:23 PM
Algae Grower

Hey D2, I've followed all of your builds on RC for quite a few years. On RC I was known as vitodog. You helped me with my reef tank quite a few times. Glade to see you on this forum. I too will be converting my 125-gallon reef tank to a planted tank in the very near future. I currently run a 56-gallon planted tank that has been up ad running for about 7 months now. I'm very excited about your new tank build and will certainly be following along. I own an Oase 600 and am very pleased with it. I think you will need 2 for your new tank. These filters are very easy to maintain. I can't believe how big your children have become. I remember the little girl when she was just a baby. I would like to ask one question, any particular reason you did not just convert the Elos? I can't wait to see this builds progress.
post #36 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:12 PM
Algae Grower

Not saying I have the best taste, but I am definitely going with a oase thermo biomaster 600. From what I have researched they are top of the line aside from the ADA.
d2creative likes this.
post #37 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
IMO always better to run two filters on a tank that size.

With two filters you have more flow, and more control of that flow. The filters get dirty at a slower pace. More debris is removed from the water column. When you clean one filter, the bio field of the other is untouched.

And if for some reason one needs service, it's no emergency as the other filter can keep things going while you get it figured out.

There is no such thing as too much filtration. The more the better.

Good luck and enjoying following this build.
Thank you very much!

I definitely agree (after much research over the past few months) that two filters is the way to go on this tank if not running a sump.
In this particular case I was just thinking maybe I could get by with one for a little bit, until the bio-load increased, then pick up the second.
But yes, all good points and I do like the idea of alternating maintenance between filters.
Right now I'm leaning toward picking up two Oase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulai48 View Post
Hey D2, I've followed all of your builds on RC for quite a few years. On RC I was known as vitodog. You helped me with my reef tank quite a few times. Glade to see you on this forum. I too will be converting my 125-gallon reef tank to a planted tank in the very near future. I currently run a 56-gallon planted tank that has been up ad running for about 7 months now. I'm very excited about your new tank build and will certainly be following along. I own an Oase 600 and am very pleased with it. I think you will need 2 for your new tank. These filters are very easy to maintain. I can't believe how big your children have become. I remember the little girl when she was just a baby. I would like to ask one question, any particular reason you did not just convert the Elos? I can't wait to see this builds progress.
Hey man! Good to see you here.

The Elos was a fantastic reef tank. Small overflow and perfect dimensions for a reef. But as you can see in the pics/vid, we did a bit of remodeling this year and the tank has to move location, 90 degree around the corner. The deeper dimension of the Elos was going to make things a little tight there and overlap the windows more. And this new spot allows for a longer tank which is kinda nice for planted.

Man, they grow up fast, don't they! And neither kid knows what it's like to NOT have an aquarium in the house. haha
And think about it... my daughter started showing up in my photos back when I was just about to start running beta units of the first gen Radions. LED was just starting then! Crazy.

Thanks for the tip on the Oase. So you going to run a sump on the 125?
I dunno why, but I just didn't want a sump this time. Maybe just to have something different than normal???

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

post #38 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:49 PM
Algae Grower

Hey D2, My plan right now is to keep the sump but would like to do a little more research before I make the decision. My 56-gallon does not have a sump and it just seems cleaner and easier to manage. I also have the Mitras LX7's. Can I adjust these lights to accommodate the plants?
post #39 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Can I adjust these lights to accommodate the plants?
You have the reef version of the LX7 so a lot more blue and less of the others. I haven't tried it, but you could probably get close in spectrum? But you'd have less par available to you, not utilizing some of the leds.

7004/6 (fresh) 9 channels: Royal blue, blue, warm white, cool white, true green, sky white, blue white, yellow, red, hyperred
7204/6 (reef) 9 channels: Royal blue, blue, cool white, true green, sky white, blue white, hyperred, hyperviolet, ultraviolet

Probably worth a shot since you have them. Plus if you don't use some of the channels like the UV for example, you can overdrive some of the others in your settings.

-Dennis

post #40 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:09 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative View Post
I'm down to two.
I have a Fluval FX5 on a 125 and it's a TON of flow in a 6'x18" tank. Though I'm also of the mind that on a tank this size that 2 smaller canisters might be preferable.

Just one thing I'll mention that I wish I'd known when setting up my own tanks. There are some plants that once you put in your aquarium, they're pretty much in there for life. The worst of these for me is Java moss. It grows over and all around plants that I am trying to cultivate. I hate it and consider it the herpes of planted aquariums. Second on my list is duckweed. While it's a floater, it can still be really hard to get rid of. You leave one cell of the stuff and duckweed is covering the surface again in a month's time. This is even worse if you have other floaters because trying to get rid of just the duckweed when it's mixed with Salvinia minima or so forth is nearly impossible. Last would be subwassertang. I like to put some in shrimp tanks and it's a neat looking plant. But once established, your tank is pretty much always going to have it barring breaking the tank down. But at least it's not Java moss. I'm pretty certain that even a full tank breakdown isn't enough to get rid of that. One tiny speck of it left on a filter tube or so forth and it comes right back. Avoid these 3 unless you are sure you want them. Forever.

I can't wait to see more updates and best wishes setting this up and getting it going from another reef to planted convert.
Greggz and d2creative like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #41 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Agree on 2 canister approach. 2 FX4 and then split each one into 2 225gph outputs, that will give 4 outputs to spread around around tank for good coverage front and back and each output will be more plant tank friendly at 225gph or valved back slightly. In planted tank any output over 250gph is to hard, in fact right at 200 would be what Id shoot for in your tank.

Also the alternating the filter cleaning is a definite plus to me, alternating every 2 weeks.

What you did in reefs has no place in fresh planted, you want good coverage but overall circulation needs to be calmer, not blowing your plants sideways and making large portions of your tank inaccessible to fish because of bombastic current there. Design it so currents work together to create a greater whole and you can easily get by with 6-7x turn over rate in tank with no dead spots, just a nice gentle breeze all around tank making plants gently wiggle in the current.
Blue Ridge Reef and Greggz like this.
post #42 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:14 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Haha! I love how you took all these photos of everything still packed up - including the stand - just to torture us.

Quote:
IT'S HERE!!!

I've got a vid I'm working on but here's a couple pics after I dug into it to make sure it made the trip in one piece.

One thing I've got to say... it's a lot bigger in person than on paper!!!

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #43 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Hey D2, My plan right now is to keep the sump but would like to do a little more research before I make the decision. My 56-gallon does not have a sump and it just seems cleaner and easier to manage. I also have the Mitras LX7's. Can I adjust these lights to accommodate the plants?

You should be able to get the freshwater LED boards to replace the saltwater ones. I would email GHL about changing them out. That is the great thing about the Mitras you can change and up grade the LED boards.
d2creative likes this.
post #44 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Haha! I love how you took all these photos of everything still packed up - including the stand - just to torture us.

"Hey Dennis, your threads are a little lacking in the pics department." - Said NO ONE, EVER!!!

Started building the stand last night. Going to try to put a bit of a time lapse vid together but for now, here's a few pics...

Hardware...

All the things...

And the base. Tons of leveling feet.
The exterior of the stand is white, but the interior is black now.
I'll try to show it in the vid, but the instructions are lacking. They are illustrated steps, nice and clear but almost zero mention of any of the hardware.
If you've put IKEA together before, it shouldn't be a problem. Has been pretty straight forward so far.
And there are some good videos for reference, even if it's not this specific stand.
https://www.waterboxaquariums.com/manuals/

Greggz, RollaPrime and Janci like this.

-Dennis

post #45 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm excited to see how things are progressing. As for filtration

Quote:
I'm down to two.
One major concern is the power. The fluval is rated much higher, but how accurate are these number? I read somewhere that the Oase rating is much closer to reality. Maybe the two aren't that far apart???

Pros for Fluval:
Stronger Flow
Self starting
Auto air evacuation
Can probably get away with one for awhile
I have an FX6 on a 118 gallon and I swear by it. The auto air evacuation alone makes it a strong contender. But the return flow is an understated game changer

You can eliminate deaspots and/or create the type of circulation you want as opposed to a traditional spray bar. As for pre filters I consider them damn near essential and although the FX series doesn't come with an internal one you can purchase an external pre filter from Amazon. It keeps the canister squeaky clean.
d2creative and Janci like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode