d2's Planted Tank Adventurama - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 452Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Welcome to the planted tank world.

It seems in the last year or so we have seen a large number of reefers converting to planted here. The attention to detail required for reef will be very helpful to you. They are both complicated but in different ways.

I am not familiar with the lights you mentioned, but after a quick search looks like they will be capable of producing lots of PAR. Keep in mind more is not necessarily better, and you will want to match the light intensity to type of plants you choose.

Good luck and look forward to seeing how things develop.

Subscribed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dennis, have you received your tank from water box yet. How’s the quality? I am trying to decide between:
Landen
Water box
UNS
post #18 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post

It seems in the last year or so we have seen a large number of reefers converting to planted here. The attention to detail required for reef will be very helpful to you. They are both complicated but in different ways.

I am not familiar with the lights you mentioned, but after a quick search looks like they will be capable of producing lots of PAR. Keep in mind more is not necessarily better, and you will want to match the light intensity to type of plants you choose.

Subscribed!

The great thing about the GHL Lights is that they are fully adjustable. Something that planted tank light makers have decided to not include in their designs.
You never see a Reef Led light that is not fully adjustable. So you can give the corals the right amount of par. Would be so helpful if it was a thing in the planted tank world of lighting too.
Greggz, d2creative and Janci like this.

post #19 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post

Subscribed!
Thank you! And yeah... i don't think PAR will be a problem. I'm probably the one who will be the problem. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGK View Post
Dennis, have you received your tank from water box yet. How’s the quality? I am trying to decide between:
Landen
Water box
UNS
It shipped yesterday via UPS freight. I think it's supposed to be here around Tuesday this coming week but not sure if that means my home or if they will be calling me to schedule delivery. I would assume the latter. Either way I should have it around mid-week.
I'm going to do some unboxing and setup vids. Hopefully that will give you a pretty good idea.
My current (well, previous now) reef tank was an Elos Diamond Line. So I'll be comparing the WaterBox to what is basically considered THE premium "off-the-shelf" aquarium.
We are talking about two systems where one is literally twice the price (at least) of the other, so I would definitely expect some differences. But just from what I've seen online, I do have high hopes for the WB tank and stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
The great thing about the GHL Lights is that they are fully adjustable. Something that planted tank light makers have decided to not include in their designs.
You never see a Reef Led light that is not fully adjustable. So you can give the corals the right amount of par. Would be so helpful if it was a thing in the planted tank world of lighting too.
Not only intensity (PAR), but spectrum as well.
The settings GHL offers in their software is pretty impressive and go beyond what you'll find in most light systems, even other reef lights. For example, you can even "borrow" power from one color channel and overdrive another.
Janci likes this.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

post #20 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:05 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
I'd say lighting functionality is pretty similar on both sides of the aquatic hobby these days. But I'd consider GHL extremely high-end.

You're not going to see it on low-end fixtures available on fleabay or Amazon but most high-end planted LED fixtures are fully adjustable, customizable, programmable. Probably goes far beyond what most planted tank hobbyists require.

Even the medium tech Current brand of fixtures are adjustable in terms of intensity and color and have offered that functionality for at least 7-8 years.

Fluval has some products with decent functionality.

Not trying to compare them with GHL but the functionality and features are definitely available.

My frustration the past couple years has been with locating decent, affordable 6500k-ish LEDs that aren't adjustable and don't require much effort. Especially when it comes to lighting shallow or smaller tanks. That's only recently started to improve.
d2creative likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #21 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:38 AM
Planted Member

That space is my kinda style, super jealous..

Subscribed and good luck man!

post #22 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventchur View Post
That space is my kinda style, super jealous..

Subscribed and good luck man!
LOL, thanks man.

So TODAY IS FINALLY NEW TANK DAY!
UPS Freight should be swinging by the house later this afternoon.

Greggz, Econde and Janci like this.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

post #23 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:08 PM
Algae Grower

I think I’m
More excited than you are!
d2creative likes this.
post #24 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is going to be fun. Impatiently awaiting pictures!
d2creative likes this.

|
|
post #25 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

IT'S HERE!!!

I've got a vid I'm working on but here's a couple pics after I dug into it to make sure it made the trip in one piece.

One thing I've got to say... it's a lot bigger in person than on paper!!!

-Dennis

post #26 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:41 AM
Algae Grower

Drool!!!
Awesome looking tank. What are your first impressions? How’s the silicone seams? Glass clarity?
It looks nicely packaged! I am close to pulling the trigger on the 44 gallon.
d2creative likes this.
post #27 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Drool!!!
Awesome looking tank. What are your first impressions? How’s the silicone seams? Glass clarity?
From what i can see in the box, silicone looks nice.
Can't see much as far as clarity or anything else yet. I need to get busy building the stand. Luckily the wife keeps my IKEA building skills sharp. LOL
Janci likes this.

-Dennis

post #28 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:19 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative View Post
Quote:
Drool!!!
From what i can see in the box, silicone looks nice.
Can't see much as far as clarity or anything else yet. I need to get busy building the stand. Luckily the wife keeps my IKEA building skills sharp. LOL
lol I hear ya. I am going the custom stand build route.

Happy for you man! Can’t wait to see more
post #29 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

First vid for the new build! Had a little help with this one.

Greggz and Econde like this.

-Dennis

post #30 of 339 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:04 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative View Post
First vid for the new build! Had a little help with this one.<a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilies/proud.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Proud" >:-)</a>

Nice video! Looks like you have a nice family Dennis

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode