d2's Planted Tank Adventurama - Page 16 - The Planted Tank Forum
 436Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #226 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just watched a Tom Barr talk at the 2015 AGA convention. He uses ph and dkh to determine the level of Co2 in his tanks.

https://barrreport.com/threads/co2-ph-kh-table.10717/

Made me think if I could use my KH director and my PH probe together to monitor CO2.
Janci likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
Just watched a Tom Barr talk at the 2015 AGA convention. He uses ph and dkh to determine the level of Co2 in his tanks.

https://barrreport.com/threads/co2-ph-kh-table.10717/

Made me think if I could use my KH director and my PH probe together to monitor CO2.
That's basically what I'm doing with my PH controller and is why I try to keep the dKH relatively stable.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #228 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
That's basically what I'm doing with my PH controller and is why I try to keep the dKH relatively stable.

The KH controller keeps the dkh of the water stable. Itís part of the GHL controllers system. One can maintain a constant dkh with the controller.

post #229 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative View Post
I got the Dwyer RMA-15-SSV
The bubble counter is pretty useless on my tank so this should give me a better reference as to how much co2 i'm using.

Bump:

Probably doesn't need the 600.
The 250 Thermo is probably enough. He's right at half of what they list as max tank size (70g).
I'm just guessing though.
Thanks! That was the best guess I put on the draft shopping list I wrote! Can I PM you to check my list? That pre-filter cleaning totally changed how I think about canister filters, I must say. Is that a brand-exclusive feature?

Cheers

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 01-13-2020 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Details
post #230 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Thanks! That was the best guess I put on the draft shopping list I wrote! Can I PM you to check my list? That pre-filter cleaning totally changed how I think about canister filters, I must say. Is that a brand-exclusive feature?

Cheers
Sure thing. And ya I don't believe I've seen that feature elsewhere. Plus the included heater. Keeps you from having to hook up some kind of inline heater or having it inside the tank. The heater also has it's own power cord so I'm using my controller to control both heaters for added safety.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

post #231 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
I got the Dwyer RMA-15-SSV
Is it really the RMA 15 ssv? Or did you mean the RMA 150 ssv?

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #232 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Is it really the RMA 15 ssv? Or did you mean the RMA 150 ssv?
Oops, thought I typed 150. Someone stole my zero!
I corrected it. Thanks for catching that.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

post #233 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Sure thing! I have an RMA 150 SSV on my 90g and like it quite a bit. Had to look up the 15 out of curiosity and saw the high range and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Those Dwyers are pretty cool
d2creative likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #234 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:50 PM
Algae Grower

Perfect. I was only searching for information on Waterbox, but I just binged my way through all 16 pages and came away with quite a few learnings and inspiration. After a few years away from the hobby, I got myself a little nano tank and tried live plants for the first time. Of course that made me want to go bigger.

I had originally been planning on going with a Waterbox AIO, but your build convinced me to go with the rimless (and likely copy your Oase canister, unless I can convince Fish Gallery to order me the Marine version sans cabinet - I'm going to have a custom cabinet built to match our furniture, but have been wanting to try a sump).

I need to make a visit to ADG before I start buying anything. I'm on the north side of Houston, just north of 610, and its a trek to get down there.

Everything looks amazing, and I'm nerding out on your set-up and technology. Keep it up!
d2creative likes this.
post #235 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude View Post
Perfect. I was only searching for information on Waterbox, but I just binged my way through all 16 pages and came away with quite a few learnings and inspiration. After a few years away from the hobby, I got myself a little nano tank and tried live plants for the first time. Of course that made me want to go bigger.

I had originally been planning on going with a Waterbox AIO, but your build convinced me to go with the rimless (and likely copy your Oase canister, unless I can convince Fish Gallery to order me the Marine version sans cabinet - I'm going to have a custom cabinet built to match our furniture, but have been wanting to try a sump).

I need to make a visit to ADG before I start buying anything. I'm on the north side of Houston, just north of 610, and its a trek to get down there.

Everything looks amazing, and I'm nerding out on your set-up and technology. Keep it up!
Where north of 610? I'm at Shepard and 43rd.
And ya... both FG and ADG are a bit of a trek!

-Dennis

post #236 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:07 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Where north of 610? I'm at Shepard and 43rd.
And ya... both FG and ADG are a bit of a trek!
Close. Althea and Rosslyn. Been in Oak Forest for a little over 4 years, and lived in the Heights before that.

Spent a good chunk of the evening sketching out what I want my stand to look like and getting dimensions right. Using a local furniture company we've used a few times in the past. Did you order straight from Waterbox? Any thoughts on the canister vs. sump yet?
post #237 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude View Post
Close. Althea and Rosslyn. Been in Oak Forest for a little over 4 years, and lived in the Heights before that.

Spent a good chunk of the evening sketching out what I want my stand to look like and getting dimensions right. Using a local furniture company we've used a few times in the past. Did you order straight from Waterbox? Any thoughts on the canister vs. sump yet?

oh yeah, real close. haha
I used to know a guy that lived on Rosslyn just north of 43rd. I photographed his tank for Ecotech Marine.
They still use one of the images on the Ecosmart Live landing page. EcoSmart Live? Login

I did order the tank and stand direct from Waterbox.

I love sumps when running a saltwater reef tank. I don't like to do it any other way, even those all-in-ones with rear filter compartment I don't like.
On this tank I just felt like I wanted to keep things a bit simpler and try the canisters, even though most people recommend sumps with the larger tanks. No regrets so far. It does help me use less CO2.
The only thing with my particular setup that would have been easier is my ATO and AWC setups, but I was able to work around it. And if/when I start dosing, I'll have to have lines for that running up the back of the tank as well.
And I probably have around the same maintenance with the filters.... maybe??? Instead of changing socks or other filter media I have to clean the pre-filters.
I have yet to clean the rest of the canisters.
Greggz and Crude like this.

-Dennis

post #238 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just a couple pics from this week after some maintenance.
I removed the moss from the arching branch. I felt it was throwing of the balance of the overall composition and blocking a lot of the better looking plants behind.
It was nice to have while everything else was growing in, but don't feel it's needed any longer.
Going to head to my LFS this weekend and see if I can find some more fish.

-Dennis

post #239 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:51 PM
Planted Member

Have you hooked up your auto-dosing system? If so, can you take some pictures of how you plumbed it to your tank? I designed a bracket for my ATO line and dosing lines, which I had 3D-printed, but I'm curious to see if there is a more aesthetically pleasing alternative.

Similar question about your water-change system. I'm not seeing the lines in your pictures.

Thanks!

My Tank Journal:
post #240 of 332 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
Have you hooked up your auto-dosing system? If so, can you take some pictures of how you plumbed it to your tank? I designed a bracket for my ATO line and dosing lines, which I had 3D-printed, but I'm curious to see if there is a more aesthetically pleasing alternative.

Similar question about your water-change system. I'm not seeing the lines in your pictures.

Thanks!
I haven't set up the dosing yet. At this point i'm still manually dosing a little bit of seachem comprehensive and potassium when I remember. That's it.

And yes, I have to get off my butt and take pics/do a write-up on that AWC.
I may end up treating the dosing lines in a similar way. I will try to do that this weekend.

Oh and I forgot a major thing in my post above... i added an old Tunze powerhead i had leftover from my old 200g reef I had several years back!
It's dialed way down but I'm getting a lot of good plant movement now.
It can be seen in the rear left corner of the tank.
Janci likes this.

-Dennis

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode