Blue Ridge's shrimp rack - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Blue Ridge's shrimp rack

This is going to be a long progression and I probably won't be sourcing much livestock until near year's end. But even though shrimp are a long way off and I had wanted to set this up in my home, I'm pretty excited about it.

As many of you know, I opened a local fish store in 2007 but was forced to switch focus to dog and cat supplies in 2013 since that's what was keeping the store open. And then I was left with over 100 empty used aquariums. I've sold off quite a few over the years, but still have 4 racks of 8 20 gallon long tanks. I've decided to set a few of these up in my back room and start some breeding projects for shrimp. If all goes well, I may expand this from the current 4 tanks to also filling the 4 above them. If that goes well, I have 3 more racks of 8 20 longs (for a total of 32 20 gallon tanks) but that's getting waaay ahead of myself. For now, here are the 4 tanks I'm starting with on the bottom row. Ignore the top row, they had crested geckos in them once upon a time and are empty except for plastic plants and caves:

I filled two of the tanks in April, just putting in a thin layer of Flourite for substrate and Aqua Clear 50 filters. A single bulb T8 light illuminates them for now, will need to upgrade that in short order when I add some plants. Added ammonia daily for a while, then just started throwing food pellets in there when I think to. Getting some brown and green algae going in these two. Never would have thought I'd be happy to see film algae.

The other two I got cleaned out today; they'll be set up for Caridina. These all had saltwater in them previously and even though I cleaned them when I broke them down, there was quite a bit of purple coraline algae still on the glass. 2 hours of elbow grease, a razor blade, and multiple vinegar rinses and it's almost all gone. I'm guessing the rest will eventually dissolve in the soft acidic RO water. I will be using active soil, but haven't settled on a brand yet. I've only ever tried ADA and Dennerle, which seem identical to me.

I will be using air driven sponge filters for all of these, though may leave the Aqua Clears on the neo tanks. The two empty tanks on the left have 2 54 watt T5 HO bulbs suspended about 12-14" over the top. This was fine to illuminate fish for sale, but a lot of light intensity is lost at that distance -plus the glass tops have seen their better days. I'm thinking I might be better off putting LEDs over all four of these.

I have ordered sponge filters and a large air pump which should arrive Friday. So if the store isn't too busy, will get the other two at least filled and circulating by the weekend. Still unsure on using the glass tops. They are older, scratched, lime stained and block more light than I would like. But I've found more than my share of shrimp on the floor so either the tanks will stay 2" from filled or I will have to use something as a cover.

Stocking plans for the two that are filled will be the best blue Neos I can find and the best red Neos I can find, trade names be darned. The two on the left I am leaning black King Kong Caridina and red galaxy or similar. I'm going around and around in my head about testing these tanks out with shrimp I currently own. In my past tanks I've always done that, but as sure as the sun shines I will miss some when I go to remove them. That's not too bad when it's a CRS in a michling tank, but another matter when it's a CRS in a BKK tank and might breed with them. I've also considered breeder nets to put any tester shrimp in. The two tanks that are currently filled are only some plants and a water change away from being ready. Well, and a light that will actually grow plants that aren't single-celled.

Thanks for looking and happy to hear any thoughts or ideas!

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I assume by that you meant I should go ahead and fill the other two with RO water, so I did.

Might try the buffering substrate in a bucket and otherwise glass bottom in these two. Something tells me I'll be up all night watching shrimp-bro videos.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am excited to see this come together. What is the name of your store?

75 gallon low tech low light no supplemental co2 planted community freshwater tropical tank(Quite the mouthfull!!)about to cycle
10 gallon species tank with 11 neon tetras

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

See my 75 gallon tank journal!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Blue Ridge Pet Supplies, formerly Blue Ridge Reef and Pets. These aren't where the public can see them, though.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I assume by that you meant I should go ahead and fill the other two with RO water, so I did. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png" border="0" alt="" title="Devil" >:-)</a>

Might try the buffering substrate in a bucket and otherwise glass bottom in these two. Something tells me I'll be up all night watching shrimp-bro videos.
I am glad you understood what I meant.
Truly envious, excited for you and for the coming updates!
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

|
|
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Algae Grower

@richie.p

YaBoiHunt
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM
Algae Grower

Looks like it will be a really cool project! It will be fun to follow along.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Algae Grower

Pitty it didn't work out the first time, I'll follow this itll be interesting, do you intend putting some sacrificial shrimp in the once salted tanks or are you happy
Yaboihunt likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Of course, I'll test the water thoroughly before adding livestock. I don't expect it to be an issue. Most every tank in my house was formerly saltwater and they didn't present problems switching over. As for stocking, I'll test them with shrimp from my home tanks for a few weeks before introducing new stock, though I don't expect them to be "sacrificial."

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Pbbbt. I've used dirtier tanks than that - some of them caked in coraline and salt creep - with all kinds of sensitive shrimp in the past.

This is going to be a great project and I have a feeling you'll really enjoy it.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Added substrate in the Caridina tanks today, and Friday put a new bag of Flourite split between the 2 Neo tanks.

The dusty ones nearest camera are the Caridina ones. The second two are remarkably clear already. I rinsed Flourite until I thought I'd lost half of the bag's weight and it still clouded up both tanks. But 48 hours later and crystal clear water. Thinking of leaving the lights on 24/7 to grow more green and less brown. Will move some plants to them when I get lighting sorted. I think the T5's over the Caridina tanks will grow low light stuff fine. The other two need a strip. And I have tanks at home running 24" cheapo Finnex lights that I could use on these and replace them on their current tanks with something a little better. Those new Fluval 3.0's have definitely caught my eye since the latest update.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am so jealous! Just look at those racks of tanks!
deeda and Blue Ridge Reef like this.

75 gallon low tech low light no supplemental co2 planted community freshwater tropical tank(Quite the mouthfull!!)about to cycle

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ha! If it makes you any less jealous, just know that these racks of tanks represent the worst financial investment I ever made in my life.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is that investment reefing? Or fish keeping in general?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode