Blue Ridge's shrimp rack - Page 9 - The Planted Tank Forum
 161Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 135 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
It's rainy and cold so not many people in the store today. I started water changes a day early and so far have seen no bodies after cleaning 4 of 6 tanks here. Not much to report except in the tangerine tiger and blue velvet tank that has had a few shrimp die apparently from muscular necrosis. (Thread on that here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...ing-issue.html) During its water change I caught nearly every shrimp and looked at them under a magnifier and could see none that appeared diseased. While I know that's a good thing, I am still concerned that I'll lose more. I did two 50% water changes on that one rather than the usual 10%. The substrate wasn't particularly dirty, I'm confused as to how this got introduced or what I could do to prevent it going forward. Should have fresh Baytril before the week is out and will give them a prophylactic dose anyway.

I did get a decent photo of some fishbone pintos and their ridiculously long antennae. I think they're my favorite. But I probably say that about whichever shrimp I'm looking at at the moment.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 135 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Tanks are active and the new shrimp are growing. Glad I upped their numbers with a 2nd order because I previously had to search to find a shrimp in the two newest tanks. Now they're pretty bold and usually out and about like a shrimp tank should be.

I spotted a big berried OEBT girl weeks ago but haven't noticed her since, nor have I seen fry. Hoping she's in there somewhere, but the whole back of this 20 gallon is full of plants. If not there's a smaller one showing visible eggs now:
Ben Belton, Discusluv and Asteroid like this.

post #123 of 135 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
How exciting! Cant wait to see the youngsters for these!

I haven't noticed any OEBT berried yet. - Just those prolific yellows! I am going to have a lot of yellow neos. Sounds like you will too.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #124 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Rolling chair video #2 because I was bored. I always forget to speak more loudly. Hopefully I'll have these figured out well enough to post publicly before too long.

post #125 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you for doing this! I have been waiting patiently for you to update!
Please keep doing this same video update more frequently.

Your shrimp are beautiful. All of them.
What is your feeding schedule and what do you feed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #126 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Thank you for doing this! I have been waiting patiently for you to update!
Please keep doing this same video update more frequently.
I was worried I was posting too much about them. Since not a whole lot has been going on, it just felt repetitive. Will update more often as I see babies, hopefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Your shrimp are beautiful. All of them.
What is your feeding schedule and what do you feed?
Thanks! I sure enjoy looking at them.

I feed all 4 tanks Jake's Complete Veggie on Monday and Wednesday, and either Dennerle's Shrimp color or their Protein food on Friday. Thursday is water change day. The "busy" tank with CRS and yellow Neos is getting a lot more shrimp in it, so I've been hitting that one daily and it all gets eaten quickly. On off days (for the other 3 tanks) the shrimp in that tank are still fed and get Jake's Veggie Plus Calcium sticks and Bacter AE. I'm hoping the other 3 tanks catch up with that one, but I suspect that CRS and yellow Neos just breed better than the other varieties.
Discusluv likes this.

post #127 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I've bought 3 batches of 5 pinto shrimp. And I'm not sure I own a female pinto.
doug105! and Discusluv like this.

post #128 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

LOL!
"You can look like a girl all you want, you are a male!"
Haha

It looks like a girl-- she was doing acrobatics!

post #129 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

It's been a while so thought I'd update. Haven't seen babies in tank #1 or tank #2 (pinto, and OEBT respectively -but all pintos appear male except *maybe* one). Tank #4 was badly set back from the extreme water changes to rid muscular necrosis. It was crawling with fry and I lost every baby in that tank, and haven't seen another since. But the surviving adults are bouncing back and will hopefully berry here soon. I think it would be my most populated tank had that not occurred. Still, one tank (tank #3) is exploding with new generations even though all are treated identically. I think yellow Neos and plain CRS are just baby makers though.

Offered some snow pops to get them to come to the front today and snapped a few updates:
Tank #1 (these never seem to go wild for this food)

Tank #2

Tank #3 (all of the food was gone by the time I got to it with the camera!):

Tank#4:

After looking at @Discusluv 's yellow Neos, I now wish I had ones that are more pale like hers. So might be starting a new tank for those here soon. This has been a fun little project with just enough stress and heartache to keep it challenging, and just enough success to keep my enthusiasm high. I need those OEBTs to make babies for me though. A couple of them are pushing 1" long.
Discusluv likes this.

post #130 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
It's been a while so thought I'd update. Haven't seen babies in tank #1 or tank #2 (pinto, and OEBT respectively -but all pintos appear male except *maybe* one). Tank #4 was badly set back from the extreme water changes to rid muscular necrosis. It was crawling with fry and I lost every baby in that tank, and haven't seen another since. But the surviving adults are bouncing back and will hopefully berry here soon. I think it would be my most populated tank had that not occurred. Still, one tank (tank #3) is exploding with new generations even though all are treated identically. I think yellow Neos and plain CRS are just baby makers though.

Offered some snow pops to get them to come to the front today and snapped a few updates:
Tank #1 (these never seem to go wild for this food)

Tank #2

Tank #3 (all of the food was gone by the time I got to it with the camera!):

Tank#4:

After looking at @Discusluv 's yellow Neos, I now wish I had ones that are more pale like hers. So might be starting a new tank for those here soon. This has been a fun little project with just enough stress and heartache to keep it challenging, and just enough success to keep my enthusiasm high. I need those OEBTs to make babies for me though. A couple of them are pushing 1" long.
I have one OEBT berried, but I rarely see her. How long does it usually take for them to hatch out after first becoming berried?

post #131 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Supposedly 3 weeks at 73 degrees, like most shrimp. I've had two berry on me so far. One died and I was gutted about it, the next I've not seen since or she lost the eggs perhaps? There's one now that's showing some early eggs, hopefully she will be the first to litter the tank with babies.
Discusluv likes this.

post #132 of 135 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Supposedly 3 weeks at 73 degrees, like most shrimp. I've had two berry on me so far. One died and I was gutted about it, the next I've not seen since or she lost the eggs perhaps? There's one now that's showing some early eggs, hopefully she will be the first to litter the tank with babies.
Mine must have lost her's too-- I think its been longer than 3 weeks. They must just be harder to get offspring from than other shrimp.

post #133 of 135 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Thought it had been a while so shot a video. I pulled quite a few plants out of these for my Osaka tank makeovers, so they are a bit bare at the moment.
Streetwise and IKeepShrimp like this.

post #134 of 135 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice! I love your rolling tours.

You have inspired me to film a little something.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #135 of 135 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Ha! Just finished watching it! Much longer and better tour than my own. But that's just another reason I don't post them anywhere but this thread. I did find one lone female pinto in that first tank. Heaven help her when she molts, there are a dozen males!
EdWiser likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode