Blue Ridge's shrimp rack - Page 6 - The Planted Tank Forum
 141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (12/100%)
I just use airline tubing running from the tank to the pitchers I put the shrimp in with their shipping water. You can either use a gang valve to slow the drip to your desired speed or just tie a knot in the airline -though that's a less exact method. I just try to drip them over at least 4 hours.
Discusluv and TheDukeAnumber1 like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I just use airline tubing running from the tank to the pitchers I put the shrimp in with their shipping water. You can either use a gang valve to slow the drip to your desired speed or just tie a knot in the airline -though that's a less exact method. I just try to drip them over at least 4 hours.
How many of the OEBT and the Red Pinto did your order? Were all alive on receipt? Was the packaging good?

post #78 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Professional packing and all arrived alive (and on time). 5+1 on both OEBTs and red pintos. I wouldn't hesitate to order again from this guy, even if worst case scenario were to happen.
Discusluv likes this.

post #79 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Professional packing and all arrived alive (and on time). 5+1 on both OEBTs and red pintos. I wouldn't hesitate to order again from this guy, even if worst case scenario were to happen.
Whew- what a relief!
Also, now I know where to get mine- yeah! I think he even had some Black Tiger shrimp. [Not sure if they were orange-eye. ]
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #80 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

If I didn't know better I'd think that was what he sent me. That or they are so dark blue that they look black in the bag. But if they acclimate and thrive, I don't really care, I think black ones are amazing. And I never really cared about the orange eyes either, especially if they have impaired vision (which I don't think has ever been settled).
Discusluv likes this.

post #81 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
If I didn't know better I'd think that was what he sent me. That or they are so dark blue that they look black in the bag. But if they acclimate and thrive, I don't really care, I think black ones are amazing. And I never really cared about the orange eyes either, especially if they have impaired vision (which I don't think has ever been settled).
I really dont want blue-- I want black. I also would prefer non-orange eyes.

For a complete and utter amateur on shrimp I sure am picky arent I? Lol!

post #82 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:37 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
4 hours? Yowza. That's patience. I almost never have the patience to go beyond an hour. I usually aim for 4-5x their current water volume over the course of about an hour.

Looking forward to seeing how the Pintos do for you and how they breed. I don't/won't keep hybrids like TiBees but it's fun to see them in others' tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #83 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
4 hours? Yowza. That's patience. I almost never have the patience to go beyond an hour. I usually aim for 4-5x their current water volume over the course of about an hour.

Looking forward to seeing how the Pintos do for you and how they breed. I don't/won't keep hybrids like TiBees but it's fun to see them in others' tanks.
Are the black ones TiBees?

post #84 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

@Discusluv I think they are selectively bred tigers, with no bee blood, but could be wrong. The pintos are tibees, though. Actually titibees (bred back to bees again).

@somewhatshocked Yeah, I hadn't planned on going the hybrid route either but these spectacular little things just caught my eye so much. These are pretty tiny but I should be able to get some photos once I get them in the tank. Getting pretty close. I'm guessing the babies will be a pretty mixed lot but I don't mind that at all.
Discusluv likes this.

post #85 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Okay, they are all in their new tanks now. Stirred things up a bit putting them out, but will get better photos tomorrow assuming they are alive! These OEBTs are insane. Almost solid black but when light hits them just right they are royal blue. I have had a few types of dark blue Neocaridina but none have near the pigmentation these do. Hard to see being so dark, but the shrimp is right in the middle of the photo:

Similarly, the red pintos are just gorgeous. Well, most of them. 2 are rather un-pinto like to me, but I really like them in their own way (pictured first).

Discusluv likes this.

post #86 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I knew I should have waited to post those! Waited a half hour and let things calm down and got some better ones. Hopefully these survive and grow into something easier to snap a photo of.

Discusluv and chicken.nublet like this.

post #87 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Okay, they are all in their new tanks now. Stirred things up a bit putting them out, but will get better photos tomorrow assuming they are alive! These OEBTs are insane. Almost solid black but when light hits them just right they are royal blue. I have had a few types of dark blue Neocaridina but none have near the pigmentation these do. Hard to see being so dark, but the shrimp is right in the middle of the photo:

Similarly, the red pintos are just gorgeous. Well, most of them. 2 are rather un-pinto like to me, but I really like them in their own way (pictured first).

Grogeous! Im so excited to see how these do for you!
Have you already posted the parameters that you have put the OEBT in? If not can you let me know?

post #88 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

6.5 pH, 5 GH, 0 KH, 100-120, tds, 65-74 F (unheated)
Discusluv likes this.

post #89 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:11 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
I think more people SHOULD post photos of their shrimp when they've just been added to their tanks. And then photos of them several hours or a day later. That helps illustrate how they color up and adjust to their new surroundings.

Would probably cut down on some anxieties that new shrimp keepers tend to have with their first batch.

They all look great, though. Really love those deep, dark blues!

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #90 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Yeah, they sure do pale out in the shipping bags, Neos in particular.

Found no bodies on the substrate and see a few shrimp crawling around.

Not going to disturb the tanks to look deeper since I have no reason to suspect any losses. Having only 5-6 shrimp in each, these aren't going to come out for food any time soon. But the other tanks will, so I fed and snapped a few this AM.

The tangerine tigers and blue Neos:

Yellow Neos are going nuts in that tank. Every female is either saddled or berried, and they seem to always be hungry:

Bonus rhino pleco pic since he stole the algae wafer in the cull tank. I love this fish but if I could find him a better (equal) home I'd do it in a heartbeat:
Discusluv and aquanerd13 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode