Blue Ridge's shrimp rack - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 161Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:39 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you by chance have any Bloody Mary Sakura Shrimp? If so, would you recommend them to a novice shrimp keeper?

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
It's just a selectively bred cherry shrimp. Care would be the same as any cherry but when keeping anything line bred they may be a bit more fragile.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #33 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:27 PM
Banned

I just realized that they are just a color strain of cherries, thanks though. I have heard they are hardy, so I just expect them to be a little less hardy than the normal ones.

10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
I just realized that they are just a color strain of cherries, thanks though. I have heard they are hardy, so I just expect them to be a little less hardy than the normal ones.
Did you see the picture of the Bloody Mary's I just got?
They really are very pretty.

Try them for the 10 gallon.

post #35 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Got a batch of blues drip acclimating now. Still holding off on the two newest tanks for a bit longer.

Econde, Discusluv and Yaboihunt like this.

post #36 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Got a batch of blues drip acclimating now. Still holding off on the two newest tanks for a bit longer.

Ohhh, very nice.
Look like very good quality and color.
Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.

post #37 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Yeah, they're still small too. I got them in the classifieds here and the adults looked amazing. Hopefully these grow up to look as nice as the photos and breed more true than my first two batches.
Econde, Discusluv and aquanerd13 like this.

post #38 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Well, this is a first. Went to check the pitcher since they'd been dripping for 90 minutes. And the airline tubing had gotten below the surface in the pitcher. I pulled it out, and it was full of shrimp!

Guess they must have liked my water!
ipkiss, Econde, Yaboihunt and 1 others like this.

post #39 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's the shrimp version of, "if it fits, it sits!"

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #40 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:18 PM
Banned

lol! I can't wait to get shrimp.
Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #41 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

You'll love them Aquanerd, just bear in mind that they take way more patience than fish!

Shrimp are settling in and coloring up. These are 1/4" juveniles and have been in the tank an hour and already look this good. I'm very optimistic about this line from day one. My iPhone 6 does not take good macro photos, but this was the best one I could get of a few eating Jake's complete veggie:

Similarly, the tangerine tigers are fans:

I can't believe the tiny tiger shrimp I got just a month ago are already breeding in there. While technically Caridina, these are berrying at half the size CRS do. That's ADA and Flourite substrate, to give it a sense of scale. I was telling my better half how excited I was and that I'm not trying to breed for profit here, but just to trade/subsidize the other varieties of shrimp I want. She said, "You won't even let two colors be in the same tank! You know you're just going to set up your whole fish store again, except that nothing will be for sale or view-able to the public, right?"
After a long pause, I assured her that there would be no more than 32 20 gallon tanks set up.

post #42 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
You'll love them Aquanerd, just bear in mind that they take way more patience than fish!

Shrimp are settling in and coloring up. These are 1/4" juveniles and have been in the tank an hour and already look this good. I'm very optimistic about this line from day one. My iPhone 6 does not take good macro photos, but this was the best one I could get of a few eating Jake's complete veggie:

Similarly, the tangerine tigers are fans:

I can't believe the tiny tiger shrimp I got just a month ago are already breeding in there. While technically Caridina, these are berrying at half the size CRS do. That's ADA and Flourite substrate, to give it a sense of scale. I was telling my better half how excited I was and that I'm not trying to breed for profit here, but just to trade/subsidize the other varieties of shrimp I want. She said, "You won't even let two colors be in the same tank! You know you're just going to set up your whole fish store again, except that nothing will be for sale or view-able to the public, right?"
After a long pause, I assured her that there would be no more than 32 20 gallon tanks set up.
I see nothing wrong with selling high-quality shrimp for a profit ( just not a gauging). I certainly would pay for high-quality shrimp and would not at all resent you made a profit from them.

post #43 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
You'll love them Aquanerd, just bear in mind that they take way more patience than fish!:
Uh oh. Patience is my weakness!!. I think I can manage though lol.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #44 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Those blues are looking lovely indeed!!!! Omce you establish a strong colony perhaps I will see if we could trade some blood lines. Depending on how mine continue to go that is!
This is amazing. I am extremely jealous of your set up.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

|
|
post #45 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Had my phone in my pocket today and took some updated snaps of each tank. Not very exciting stuff, sorry. These updates are for me to look back on to keep the dates straight! Hope that here and there along the way I can provide a quality post.
9-20-19 and these four tanks are off to a great start! Plants are thriving and two of four have shrimp in them now (the two on the right).

The empty ones are using active soil only and remineralized RO/DI water, the other two are more traditional for the way I do planted tanks. All ran with Aqua Clear 50's and sponge filters while cycling, now just running the sponge filters off of an over-sized Whisper. Guess I'll label them numerically from left to right. Tank one:

Filled with ADA and planted mostly from other tanks, but did purchase Eriocaulon Vietnam and a fistful of moss, no fauna besides snails & pods.
Tank two is set up identically. Both of these have some time to go yet before shrimp:

Tank 3 has been running since April. As of 8-12, tanks 3 & 4 have a 1/4-1/2" base of organic topsoil strained fine to the consistency of flour, then a couple of inches of Flourite. I then added 1/2 a bag of Dennerle active soil to each to bring down KH that I was fighting. These ran fallow for months. I use straight dechlorinated tap on these two. Tank 3 contains 12 very small but quite pretty yellow Neos. Don't have a good photo yet. It's going to be a few months on these but I think they are a striking line, they're almost white. My hope is to get some nice blue tiger shrimp to add to this tank. Orange eyes not preferred but considered if anyone "knows a guy.". I don't want any shrimp of either the Caridina or Neocaridina that even the worst cull might confuse me on which species it might be so yellow and blue striped seem pretty safe. I also still have the AquaClear running on this one I started them all up with, not sure why. Anyway, tank 3:

Tank 4 has the Tangerine tigers and blues shown in the earlier post. Similarly, I feel sure I won't mix the worst culls of these two up.

So now I'm left with deciding what to put in the first two, leaning Taiwan bees of some sort, my michling tank is what got this all started. Need to move some more plants from other tanks in too, I realize looking at the photos. And of course, the next order of business is finding blue tigers...
See you when I get something new or have something to update again.
Streetwise likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode