Blue Ridge's shrimp rack - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 161Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mate it is looking amazing!
That the amazonia mucking up those tanks then? Damn that is dusty, never seen that with amazonia before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
Woah! How quickly did you add water to those tanks? I'm always surprised when people have serious cloudiness.

Cloudiness aside, this is going to be fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #18 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
@AquaNerd, Opening an LFS.

Tanks were full of water, I added ADA right to them. Not concerned about cloudiness, those two are months from having shrimp in them.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #19 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

What a difference a day makes:

post #20 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Wow! My dream in pictures. :0

post #21 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Planted Member

Nice project! Can't wait to see you get started on culls! I want a super green neocardia tank so bad...

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #22 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:01 PM
Banned

What filters and what size tank was it?

Bump: https://aquaticarts.com/collections/freshwater-shrimp

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #23 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Made a little headway over the weekend. I got sponge filters set up in all 4 tanks and put a 36" LED reef light from my old reef tank to straddle the two Neo tanks. Wondering how much impact it will have on temperature, and if it will need to be elevated. Lightly planted each of them. All 4 got Bolbitis and C wendtii green, also put some micro sword and leopard Val in one. I always forget how hard these substrates are to plant in! Doesn't help that it's only 2" deep. I will surely add more plants over the next few weeks and months, but outside of that we are getting to the hurry up and wait portion of this project. I should probably order another bag of ADA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
Nice project! Can't wait to see you get started on culls! I want a super green neocardia tank so bad...

Culling has been so far my least favorite aspect of breeding Neos. Catching one gray shrimp in a heavily planted tank full of others you are trying not to net can be maddening! I've never seen super greens in person but the photos are impressive. There's a very pretty green baubalti that might breed more true, just a thought.
evil8 likes this.

post #24 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Culling has been so far my least favorite aspect of breeding Neos. Catching one gray shrimp in a heavily planted tank full of others you are trying not to net can be maddening! I've never seen super greens in person but the photos are impressive. There's a very pretty green baubalti that might breed more true, just a thought.
You're correct. Catching those little suckers ain't easy. I tried moving my 4 amano one day... 3 of them just disappeared... LOL! Shimp Life had a video on her green jades not long ago and they are stunning, but I will check out the green baubalti too. It will be awhile before I get a serious shrimp tank set up anyway. Sometime around the 1st of the year.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #25 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Not a very exciting update, but I dried some oak leaves and added them this week. If there's any downside to these vs capatta and such, I can't tell. They last about the same amount of time, grow biofilm well and basically "seem" the same to my untrained eye.

I like to cut a limb or find one broken from wind and dry that out rather than picking leaves off of the ground:

After about a month, they will look like this:

I pull them off and stick them in a baggie and crush them somewhat:

Then I add RO water to the baggies and let sit overnight. I didn't photograph this step. Next I strain off the water and add them to tanks:

Total cost, 9 cents for the baggie, and maybe a penny's worth of RO water.
deeda, Discusluv and Shrubbery like this.

post #26 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:12 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
(Terminalia) catappa leaves are thicker and larger when mature but beyond that, they're accomplishing the same thing in a tank.

If you have any Willow Oak (Q. phellos) near you, I've found that they hold up a bit longer compared to White, Black and other common Oak varieties. They were my absolute nightmare in the Charlotte area and were easily the worst leaf I've ever had to deal with outside. They get everywhere - in shoes, cars, clothing - and that's when they're dry. Basically needed an airlock in order to get inside without bringing a ton of them with you. Have been awesome in shrimp tanks, though.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #27 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I googled that tree and am familiar, but don't have one on my property or know where any might be nearby. It's crazy to think about all the things you buy in this hobby that might as well be growing in your own yard.

I have some tangerine tigers (Caridina serrata) coming this week and am very tempted to put a few in one of these 20's. Parameters are testing out perfectly and even without as much algae as I would like, I figure a half dozen in a 20 gallon tank should be fine. I have a mature tank for them at home, but have a pretty good deal of confidence that if I put half in one of these new ones they will be fine there. I still have two days to decide.
Discusluv likes this.

post #28 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Currently drip acclimating a few tangerine tigers to one of the "old" tanks (set up in April). Added a few more plants here and there, but the original plants already have a good bit of new growth. Added a little aquasoil to the Flourite tanks as KH is hanging higher than I'd like. Will get some shrimp pics in a few days when they've settled down.

Discusluv and Yaboihunt like this.

post #29 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
I googled that tree and am familiar, but don't have one on my property or know where any might be nearby. It's crazy to think about all the things you buy in this hobby that might as well be growing in your own yard.

I have some tangerine tigers (Caridina serrata) coming this week and am very tempted to put a few in one of these 20's. Parameters are testing out perfectly and even without as much algae as I would like, I figure a half dozen in a 20 gallon tank should be fine. I have a mature tank for them at home, but have a pretty good deal of confidence that if I put half in one of these new ones they will be fine there. I still have two days to decide.
Cool! Are they the same ones that were advertised on member forum? Those were really nice tigers!

Bump:
Quote:
Currently drip acclimating a few tangerine tigers to one of the "old" tanks (set up in April). Added a few more plants here and there, but the original plants already have a good bit of new growth. Added a little aquasoil to the Flourite tanks as KH is hanging higher than I'd like. Will get some shrimp pics in a few days when they've settled down.

What parameters will you be shooting for? Tanks look great, by the way---
Yaboihunt likes this.

post #30 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Cool! Are they the same ones that were advertised on member forum? Those were really nice tigers!
Yep, and the seller packed them perfectly and they got here on time for once from USPS. Had zero DOAs and no losses so far a couple of hours after acclimation. Would highly recommend if you have interest in those. I've only had better luck with local shrimp than from this board. They're still paled out from shipping but absolutely zooming around the tank and feeding so am optimistic for their future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
What parameters will you be shooting for? Tanks look great, by the way---
KH was 5-6, and my goal was 2. TDS was over 260 and aiming for < 200. pH was 7.5ish and 6.6-7.0 was my goal. My tap is soft and neutral but something seems to be bumping things, perhaps old coraline algae and such from them once being saltwater? Did a roughly 1/3 partial wc with RO/DI but worried about a jump so thought 2 cups of Aqua Soil each tank might take care of that. I used Dennerle Shrimp Soil which produces ammonia but the two older tanks are solid as Sears at this point. I'm guessing the nitrogen these soils produce is a big reason but the Rotala indica I put in has grown like crazy in just a couple of weeks, near an inch a day it would seem. And the once-tiny stems of guppy grass are getting obnoxiously big already. It's all I can do to keep sitting on my hands and waiting until November or so to get started but I know it's the best route.
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode