Blue Ridge's shrimp rack - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 202Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 159 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I love the rolling chair commentary as well. Looking forward to the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #153 of 159 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Been a few weeks so I broke out the iPhone when I saw a new batch of pintos. So unexpected that with only one female this tank is outproducing my OEBTs.

post #154 of 159 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I missed this one. Enjoyed watching it thoroughly. You could really see the difference in size between the pinto babies, juveniles and adults. They are a really pretty shrimp! Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #155 of 159 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Pintos are flat out one of my favorites, and you can pull many quotes from me here and elsewhere that I didn't want "hybrids" though I think a lot of what most of us keep either technically are hybridized or may as well be. They are just so darn dainty! I might enjoy them the most of all, though I probably say that about whatever I'm looking at. But your yellow Neos really tie the tank together! I'm almost certainly bringing a few of those home when I get enough numbers built up of both them and OEBTs. They'll go in my first Dennerle that had michlings. I've sold my michlings off and wanted to do OEBTs and yellow Neos in that tank like you had in yours. Only thing was, the guy who bought the michlings drove nearly an hour and I removed everything but a few plants before he got here. We were sure I'd caught every one. As is tradition, 3 popped back out after he was long gone and now they don't really fit anywhere! And I won't even joke about setting another tank up*.

But the idea of this rack was to farm shrimp and plants for my display tanks and try different things; foods, substrates, lights, water change regimens, and so forth and better familiarize myself with the ins and outs of shrimp keeping and it is serving that purpose. I had also meant to focus on plants in these, but have kind of dropped the ball on that aspect. I need to tinker more with the plants in these tanks as well as try new species, especially in the ones with soil. Once the shrimp went in, they became all I concerned myself with.

*My wife was discussing how many houseplants and aquariums I have the other day and how many I had when we moved in together. While I had scores of geckos, colubrid snakes and such that I no longer keep, I had to admit that I've gone from 5 aquariums to 12. Most are quite low-maintenance and I might spend 3-4 hours a week doing tank stuff -and I enjoy my time doing that immensely as long as everything is well. But leaving for any period of time would be tough (assuming we ever travel again post-COVID) and these aren't tanks I could just call a teenage neighbor to look after.
Discusluv likes this.

post #156 of 159 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Wouldnt OEBT's be hybrids? If they are- they are my favorite. So there goes the idea of "pure line shrimp"- Lol!

The combination of the OEBT and those Gold-back yellows is a killer combination. In the Fluvel V where they are the light on thta tank hass a lot of blue so it really punches up the colors in these two shrimp.

Funny, I was considering the plants that I have in my shrimp tanks. They are really hindering me seeing my shrimp. The OEBT's especially-- these shrimps are really shy or like to hide under in the back of the tank where they cant be seen. I dont know if its that they dont like light or like to be confined in "spaces", but they are so unlike the yellows. The yellows are out and about and busy... a mingling type of shrimp. .

Leaving is going to be tough. My husband and I are going for 6 days in July for vacation ( we are taking our dog because she is 15 and a complete baby) and I had to get a Petsitter for the cats and the fish. They are going to come by 2 times a day for 15 minutes each. Its going to be tough on the juvenile fish only getting fed 2 x daily, but they'll be okay. I wish I was leaving tomorrow...

Amy
post #157 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Monthly update. I think I'm going to do some different things with 2-3 of these tanks. Two tanks have done as well as expected, the pinto and golden back yellow Neo tank and the crystal red tank with orange Neos. Random pics:

Those have increased in population and have babies everywhere. I've sold 100 CRS this month and only have a few shrimplets left. The rest are all orange Neos which I have more of than I can move locally.

I feel I'm at a 50% success rate here. The other two tanks are stalled. One has tangerine tigers and blue dreams Neos. The TTs were infected with muscular necrosis and never really bounced back, though several survived. The blue dreams did okay until that tank got a Baytril treatment, but most babies from them lately have been cull grade and moved out. The other stalled tank has orange eyed blue tigers. They've thrown a few babies, but nothing to write home about. I think I've lost more than I've produced, which stinks because they're probably my favorite of all.
So I'm feeling rather over 3 of the 4 tanks as currently stocked. 2 from lack of success and one from just tiring of the 2 varieties that have thrived. So at least 2 of these tanks will see new shrimp inhabitants in 2020.

Part of me wants to try some more difficult Caridina but my lack of success with the OEBTs has me wary. How can crystal reds and pintos do so well and those simply fail to take off? Same water, substrate, food, care regimen etc. If I ever do get more I'm keeping them more like Neos and off of 0 dKH soil, but I'm skeptical that would have made a difference. Perhaps it's the line, but others here have gotten them from different sellers and had similar experiences. For now I'll just continue to give them the best care I can and see if some of the newer ones grow up to berry and make healthy babies like you would hope for from imports.
Discusluv likes this.

post #158 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Monthly update. I think I'm going to do some different things with 2-3 of these tanks. Two tanks have done as well as expected, the pinto and golden back yellow Neo tank and the crystal red tank with orange Neos. Random pics:

Those have increased in population and have babies everywhere. I've sold 100 CRS this month and only have a few shrimplets left. The rest are all orange Neos which I have more of than I can move locally.

I feel I'm at a 50% success rate here. The other two tanks are stalled. One has tangerine tigers and blue dreams Neos. The TTs were infected with muscular necrosis and never really bounced back, though several survived. The blue dreams did okay until that tank got a Baytril treatment, but most babies from them lately have been cull grade and moved out. The other stalled tank has orange eyed blue tigers. They've thrown a few babies, but nothing to write home about. I think I've lost more than I've produced, which stinks because they're probably my favorite of all.
So I'm feeling rather over 3 of the 4 tanks as currently stocked. 2 from lack of success and one from just tiring of the 2 varieties that have thrived. So at least 2 of these tanks will see new shrimp inhabitants in 2020.

Part of me wants to try some more difficult Caridina but my lack of success with the OEBTs has me wary. How can crystal reds and pintos do so well and those simply fail to take off? Same water, substrate, food, care regimen etc. If I ever do get more I'm keeping them more like Neos and off of 0 dKH soil, but I'm skeptical that would have made a difference. Perhaps it's the line, but others here have gotten them from different sellers and had similar experiences. For now I'll just continue to give them the best care I can and see if some of the newer ones grow up to berry and make healthy babies like you would hope for from imports.
Its beyond frustrating.
As you and I discussed earlier, I have spent so much money on these OEBT's and tried them both on active and inactive substrate and I cannot keep them alive. They are also my favorite shrimp.

I chalk it up to my inexperience. So, in order to not kill anymore of these beautiful creatures, I will wait until I have some more knowledge on shrimp-keeping overall to keep them in future. But, it makes me sad.

Amy
post #159 of 159 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

They are the only shrimp that have frustrated me this much since I started using RO water. I haven't lost many since they acclimated, but when there's only a new baby every 4ish months, it doesn't take many. If/when I tear any of these down I think I'll go with Aqua Clears with mesh over the intakes. Looking at my 7 tanks with shrimp and Aqua Clears, they are all doing great, and these with sponges have more variation. I tend to believe the additional water flow makes for a better environment.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode