Shrubbery's 11G (14" cube) neocaridina tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrubbery's 11G (14" cube) neocaridina tank

Since coming back to the hobby, I have mainly been keeping small peaceful fish in nano-ish aquariums. One of the tanks I have has a community of wild type neocaridinas, and I've been finding myself wanting to keep a tank just for neos (more on what type, later). My LFS had a sale on this guy, so I nabbed one, and paired with an Aqueon light I had kicking around:

From there, I wandered around the LFS, and noticed that they were carrying some green jade neos, and I figured that was my plan (hopefully, they will still have some when it is stocking time - if not, I will find some, somewhere!).

After some more walking, I stumbled across some red lava rock, and it occurred to me that I could do a Mars-scape for my to-be little green people. I also have a ton of red flourite at home (which I have generally learned to hate) that I could use with the red lava rock for effect. Of course, it is going to be planted, so this is an oasis or a throwback to when Mars had an atmosphere, or something.

The tank is actually up and running and cycling now, but I took a bunch of progress pics as I went through the build, which I will post here as responses.

So let's get this thing started!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seapora Tank - Small.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	885171  

Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
So cool! I love creative set-ups like this.
My kind of tank.
Look forward to seeing pics of your progress with this build.
Shrubbery likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I forgot about needing a mod to approve my newbie post... that took a while to show up, and the pictures aren't where I expected them.

Anyway, I can work with this!

Ok, I guess I should probably talk substrate at this point, because I have a lot going on there. I have become a huge fan of the Walstad method (low tech), and have tended in that direction with my last couple of builds. Essentially, it uses potting soil/organic soil as a base and caps it with gravel or sand. Lots of good info on this structure and why it does what it does in Diana Walstad's book "The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium", which I highly recommend. It's not a fun read, but it is a very informative one.

One of the downsides of the approach is that it doesn't tend to like a lot of hardscape, because that compacts the soil layer. So, hardscape is normally put in first, then soil around it, then the cap. I tried that with a previous tank and didn't like it for two reasons (1) you lose a lot of height, and (2) the cap doesn't do as good a job sealing in the soil, which can make for a bit of a mess.

So, for this one, I am doing something different. The structure for the hardscape I settled on is something like a Stonehenge-like structure with three rocks supporting one bigger rock. To do that, I identified where the three pillar rocks would go and I created 'bases' for those in gravel alone (based on the idea that it will withstand compaction better than sand and soil will). Think of it like concrete pilings supporting a deck.

The picture below shows one version of the aquascape (I made the beach smaller in the end product so I'd have more planting space). The front part of the aquarium is beach only (just sand), and the back is sand capping soil. The three circles indicate pillars where straight gravel go. Finally, the back portion I put a further layer of Flourite overtop the sand, so it looked more like crumbling rock, leading toward the beach.

Below is the aquascape 'plan' (with the boundaries I used to divvy up the space according to substrate) and the finished hardscape. Note the overwhelming red (and the bad angle and reflection, sorry) from the lava rock and the Flourite. You'll see this softens a lot with the planting in the next post, and should soften further as it fills in. Also, the picture doesn't really show the inside of the structure very well. Photos to come will hopefully fix that.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Algae Grower

Sounds really cool! I recently bought the same tank and will be setting it up next week (moving next week so waiting to get into our new place). Looking forward to seeing the progress pics!
Shrubbery likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did post an update last night, but I think it is awaiting moderator approval. Hopefully it will be up shortly!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspin02 View Post
Sounds really cool! I recently bought the same tank and will be setting it up next week (moving next week so waiting to get into our new place). Looking forward to seeing the progress pics!
The tank is beautiful, and this definitely won't be my last one!

This is my first rimless (and low-iron, to boot) tank, and I love it. With the light on, the colours are so crisp and true. I hope you have a blast setting yours up!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not sure what happened... I tried to post a bit on my substrate last night, but it seems to have disappeared.

So, let's try this again.

I wanted to do a post on the substrate, because I have a lot going on here. I am following - in broad terms - the Walstad method, outlined in Diana Walstad's book "The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium", which is a worthwhile read for anyone who wants to better understand what, biologically and chemically, is happening in their tanks.

To that end, I am using a soil substrate, capped with sand, and a very thin layer of Flourite in parts to provide some texture and "rockiness" to the substrate.

The downside to the Walstad method is that it tends to not like hardscape that much, because of the effect it has on compacting the sand. So, hardscape is normally put in first, then the soil around it, then the cap. I have found that I lose a lot of height that way, and that the soil doesn't cap all that well around the hardscape, and you wind up with a bit of a mess.

So, to combat that, I created three areas that were going to hold my supporting stones, and, for those areas, I am placed gravel all the way to the bottom. The stones then sit on the gravel (which withstands compaction better than sand and soil). The end structure is like a three-pillared Stonehenge-like structure.

I also left the area at the front of the tank as pure sand (no soil), to keep a beach sort of look.

The first image below is the 'plan' (you can see the three areas carved out for the gravel pillars, along with the beach line - which I subsequently adjusted to give more planting area).

The second image shows the finished hardscape, from a poor angle and with lots of reflection. Sorry about that... the planted tank pictures will show how the hardscape softens a bit, and better shows the structure. But that's the next post.

By the way... I am hosting images on Imgur... does anyone know how to have the pictures show up inline, rather than as thumbnails at the end of the post? Thanks in advance!

Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by Shrubbery; 08-07-2019 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Trying to adjust photos to show
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubbery View Post
By the way... I am hosting images on Imgur... does anyone know how to have the pictures show up inline, rather than as thumbnails at the end of the post? Thanks in advance!

Use the next to the last one. It should say "BBCode (message boards & forums)". If that's the one you're using, I'm not sure what might be going on. I had a nightmare of a time using it at first, but it's been a breeze lately. I can see that you posted the codes correctly, just can't tell if they are the correct code.

Shrubbery likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Use the next to the last one. It should say "BBCode (message boards & forums)". If that's the one you're using, I'm not sure what might be going on. I had a nightmare of a time using it at first, but it's been a breeze lately. I can see that you posted the codes correctly, just can't tell if they are the correct code.
Thanks! That worked much better!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
No clue why the forum moderated your individual posts after I approved the initial thread.

Regardless, I approved them. PM me if you run into future issues.

And on a tank note... I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've actually liked red lava rock in a tank. Excited to see how this plays out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm not sure what happened... I tried to post a bit on my substrate last night, but it seems to have disappeared.

So, let's try this again.

I wanted to do a post on the substrate, because I have a lot going on here. I am following - in broad terms - the Walstad method, outlined in Diana Walstad's book "The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium", which is a worthwhile read for anyone who wants to better understand what, biologically and chemically, is happening in their tanks.

To that end, I am using a soil substrate, capped with sand, and a very thin layer of Flourite in parts to provide some texture and "rockiness" to the substrate.

The downside to the Walstad method is that it tends to not like hardscape that much, because of the effect it has on compacting the sand. So, hardscape is normally put in first, then the soil around it, then the cap. I have found that I lose a lot of height that way, and that the soil doesn't cap all that well around the hardscape, and you wind up with a bit of a mess.

So, to combat that, I created three areas that were going to hold my supporting stones, and, for those areas, I am placed gravel all the way to the bottom. The stones then sit on the gravel (which withstands compaction better than sand and soil). The end structure is like a three-pillared Stonehenge-like structure.

I also left the area at the front of the tank as pure sand (no soil), to keep a beach sort of look.

The first image below is the 'plan' (you can see the three areas carved out for the gravel pillars, along with the beach line - which I subsequently adjusted to give more planting area).

The second image shows the finished hardscape, from a poor angle and with lots of reflection. Sorry about that... the planted tank pictures will show how the hardscape softens a bit, and better shows the structure. But that's the next post.

This is so nice looking. It actually feels warm looking at it- like Mars.
Shrubbery likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Isn't it almost mesmerizing?

Green shrimp are going to look so cool with this hardscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Discusluv and Shrubbery like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
No clue why the forum moderated your individual posts after I approved the initial thread.

Regardless, I approved them. PM me if you run into future issues.

And on a tank note... I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've actually liked red lava rock in a tank. Excited to see how this plays out!
Thanks, I'm having fun with it!

Red lava rock doesn't normally speak to me, either. But it seemed like a fun thing to try something with, so I went with it.

Bonus: I got to use up a whole bunch of Flourite that I would otherwise likely never use again!
Discusluv likes this.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:45 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

And it actually looks good - something I don't believe I've ever said about Flourite. Not even the Flourite Black Sand I have in one of my cubes. But the stuff in your tank looks pretty great.

What kind of sand are you using?

Quote:
Bonus: I got to use up a whole bunch of Flourite that I would otherwise likely never use again!
Discusluv and Shrubbery like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Thanks!

As I mentioned above, I now have it planted and cycling. I was toying with the idea of going filterless, but I abandoned that and put a simple Marina S10 I had lying around on it (it's not in the pic below).

Also the really stubborn sticker on the back of the tank is now gone . I do need to get some more up-to-date pics as the plants have grown some already and have been replanted somewhat (particularly the mess of Hygrophila at the back).

Plants to date:

Herteranthera zosterifolia (quickly becoming my favourite plant)
Pogostemon erectus (first time trying the plant, and I don't think is going to make it)
Rotala Wallichii
Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'
Hygrophila araguaia
Vesicularia dubyana (Christmas moss)
Bacopa monnieri (Cool plant... first time with this one and I really like it so far)
Vallisneria spiralis
"Crypts" (hey, thanks, PetSmart! I think it is Cryptocoryne Red Wendtii)
Salivinia minima (floating)

I have very soft water at KH 1 GH 1 TD 40 and currently have it mineralized to KH 4 GH 6 TDS 190. Looking to the experts for guidance on whether those numbers are making sense for neos! That's what I have in my other tank and everyone seems fine... but if there are more idealized parameters, now's the time to get there.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
And it actually looks good - something I don't believe I've ever said about Flourite. Not even the Flourite Black Sand I have in one of my cubes. But the stuff in your tank looks pretty great.

What kind of sand are you using?
It's CaribSea "Super Naturals" I had left over from my saltwater days (honestly, the stuff I have lying around...). I like that the colour has a slight warm hue to it that seemed to work with the theme.
Discusluv and sittinglynx like this.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks!

As I mentioned above, I now have it planted and cycling. I was toying with the idea of going filterless, but I abandoned that and put a simple Marina S10 I had lying around on it (it's not in the pic below).

Also the really stubborn sticker on the back of the tank is now gone . I do need to get some more up-to-date pics as the plants have grown some already and have been replanted somewhat (particularly the mess of Hygrophila at the back).

Plants to date:

Herteranthera zosterifolia (quickly becoming my favourite plant)
Pogostemon erectus (first time trying the plant, and I don't think is going to make it)
Rotala Wallichii
Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'
Hygrophila araguaia
Vesicularia dubyana (Christmas moss)
Bacopa monnieri (Cool plant... first time with this one and I really like it so far)
Vallisneria spiralis
"Crypts" (hey, thanks, PetSmart! I think it is Cryptocoryne Red Wendtii)
Salivinia minima (floating)

I have very soft water at KH 1 GH 1 TD 40 and currently have it mineralized to KH 4 GH 6 TDS 190. Looking to the experts for guidance on whether those numbers are making sense for neos! That's what I have in my other tank and everyone seems fine... but if there are more idealized parameters, now's the time to get there.

Bump:

It's CaribSea "Super Naturals" I had left over from my saltwater days (honestly, the stuff I have lying around...). I like that the colour has a slight warm hue to it that seemed to work with the theme.
It looks like Caribsea "Sunset Gold." I have that as well in my 30 gallon shrimp tank.
sittinglynx and Shrubbery like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode