• 2 Post By Here_To_Learn
  • 1 Post By Here_To_Learn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
beginner doing 200 gallon

hi friends.

Here I will be documenting my journey of setting up a 240 gallon planted tank. I am a beginner. this will be my first aquarium. doing as much research as possible to make this a success. I would appreciate all the help.

This has been a long time coming for me. I have always wanted an aquarium and been seriously wanting to have an aquarium for the last 5 years but my life situation never allowed me to.

now after a long time I am getting ready to move into my own house in September and I'm very excited to start one now.

today I went on an aquarium store crawl (went to 7 different stores) to get inspired and I got some quotes for a 72" x 30" x 24" starfire aquarium.

I have decided to go with sump filter and I purchased my sump today spontaneously as I saw one of the store selling some of their used ones.

now I need to:
1- order tank with holes drilled
2- find sturdy stand
3- research hi power LED lighting options
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sump in store.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	885117  

Greggz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
240G got my attention.

That is very ambitious for a beginner.

I hope you are doing LOTS of research.

Be sure to start a journal when you get going, as I am sure many (myself included!) would enjoy following along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
240G got my attention.

Be sure to start a journal when you get going, as I am sure many (myself included!) would enjoy following along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
240G got my attention.

Thank you for following along!
I know it is very ambitious but I'm doing as much research as possible. unfortunately I have to say that I am often finding conflicting information in this hobby but I hope I will be able to find the right path.

Today my girlfriend set up her own 10G tank (with my help haha) no animals, just plants.
Greggz and aquaoz like this.

Last edited by Here_To_Learn; 08-05-2019 at 11:34 PM. Reason: put better picture up

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:01 AM
Planted Member

Wowzer! First aquarium at 240 gallons! This caught my attention as well and I am subscribing to your thread.

Okay so tell us what your plans are in general flora and fauna wise. Are you planning to go low tech or high tech? Inert substrate, dirt or high tech substrate? What is your tap water like?

I'm very curious to know what your plans are.

Cheers.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your interest.

tap water:
the tap water is fairly hard alkaline water but at least in the beginning I will be using RO water with additives to fix GH and KH. I want to take as many variables out in the beginning

substrate:
for plant substrate I will probably use ADA aquasoil but I may use decorative gravel in some parts of the aquascape to deliberately have open space

co setup:
pressurized co2 with timer to come on and off with light (similar to my girlfriend's setup)

water conditions:
I created a spreadsheet of species I would like to include in the aquascape and their optimal water conditions to decide what tank conditions accommodates most species.
in this case it will be colder (for best moss growth and best plant growth in general) around 75 degrees and moderately-high general hardness around 6 dGH(because of shrimps).

species:
I would like to incorporate different plants in my aquascape. I may choose to focus more intense light (like a kessil led with a narrow lens) to do grow carpeting HC in some places or other high light plants(I reckon it needs a lot of intensity to give high par from +24") and for other parts I will use less intense lighting for other plants
I want to have many amano shrimp, some other species of ornamental shrimp, a schooling fish like harlequin rasboras, some Endlers, some Guppys and a few bottom dwellers like Kuhli loaches.
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode