• 1 Post By CarissaT
  • 1 Post By CarissaT
  • 2 Post By sittinglynx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
75g planted community tank

Figured I should start journaling before I get too far along even though itís not much to look at yet. After about 10 years away from the hobby, Iím starting a 75g planted and for the first time will be doing injected co2. Iím also planning a fairly complex diy led lighting system using reef-pi. But for the moment, as I am waiting for parts and plants to arrive, Iím doing no co2, low light and just started dosing pps-pro for the couple of plants I have now (1 ml / 10 gallons macros, 0.5 ml/10 gallons micros every second day).
Fish: Four pearl gouramis, 2 Chinese algae eaters, 12 neons and 2 snails (nerite I think).
Plants I believe althernathera reinckii, bacopa, and amazon swords. (Corrections welcome)
Substrate Fairmount pool filter sand with a topper of natural gravel.
Filtration Fluval 404 canister. Will be adding a uv sterilizer and additional internal filter when they arrive for more circulation and filtration.
Just measured the lux at substrate level and itís about 1800 with my current dual 36Ē T8s (thatís measuring through air so probably a bit less through water. )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sittinglynx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Algae Grower

Nice, Carissa! It's great to see your new project up and running. I'm expecting my new canister filter to arrive today, so I should be starting my own 75 journal shortly.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks like a fine start! I'll be curious how you do with the a. reineckii. Beautiful plant, but mine was killed by green fuzz algae. This was before I learned to use pressurized CO2, so might have been part of the problem.

Great choice on pearl gouramis, too. I love those fish.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I got some parts in for my first foray into co2 injection, so I'll post what I got so far!

First off here is the light meter I bought:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32307174729.html

I am getting a reading of about 90,000 lux in full daylight (with a few clouds). So at least it seems to be in the right ballpark for that level of light.
For my T8 fluorescent bulbs on my tank, I am getting around 9000 lux right at the bulb, and 1800 at 18" from the bulb which would be roughly substrate level. I'm just putting these stats here because when my new LED's arrive I can reference back for comparison purposes.

For co2, I decided to go with a Sodastream bottle because 1) I already have one 2) my husband has a full size co2 cylinder in the garage and can refill the Sodastream bottles from it. So big initial and ongoing expenses avoided there.

I bought a co2 regulator kit from Ali Express, and an adapter for the Sodastream bottle to CGA320 threads. Since I don't have a lot of money to invest right now, I may upgrade the regulator in the future if need be. But for now, total cost around $57 CAD. Hard to beat.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958777953.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32952956380.html

I put it all together today and it all fits and appears to work great. Don't have my reactor or drop checker yet though so don't have it hooked up as of yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0752.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	885163  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0754.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	885165  

irishspy likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got my plants in (thanks Quagulator!) so itís looking a bit more planted now. Also I took back the CAEs and instead got one Yoyo loach and one albino Bristlenose Pleco (a baby). A ramshorn snail came on the plants and survived three days in the mail so got him too now. Iím running lights 8 hrs a day for now and started dosing macros again (after stopping all ferts for a while). I need to do some real aquascaping but for now just letting the plants acclimate until I get my co2 up and running. The neons seem a lot happier with more plant cover. They are exploring more rather than staying in a school and are eating better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sittinglynx likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

@irishspy "Looks like a fine start!......Great choice on pearl gouramis, too. I love those fish."

2nded! I would love pearl gouramis, but I'm worried about their full grown size compared to my tetra stock; They have such personality. Everything looks good. I wish you luck as you build
irishspy and CarissaT like this.

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode