55 Gallon River Stream Biotope - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ursamajor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
55 Gallon River Stream Biotope

I'd like to share a project I've been working on this summer. I was inspired by this tank by Oliver Knott.

I had planned on making a southeast Asian hillstream biotope, but then I found this guy's channel after he was interviewed by George Farmer.

I've been obsessed ever since. My plan is to make a river stream biotope modeled after the above habitat. A lot of the project is DIY, and I'll try to share enough details that if anyone else is interested they could try this too. Special thanks to @billb for his detailed build threads - I took a lot of inspiration from his tanks.

Bump:
sittinglynx likes this.

The plural of 'anecdote' is 'data.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Part 1: Everything is harder than expected.

I decided to build my own stand, modeled after those sleek ADA stands. In retrospect, I should have just bought a used stand, since buying the materials ended up costing about the same and building the stand was way more complicated than expected. I'm pretty happy with how it ended up, but I'm not completely sure I trust it yet. I know it's plenty strong, but if it's uneven I could crack the tank.

The tank is a used 55 gallon tank. I liked the dimensions because it's longer, lending itself to the stream style, and very deep, giving plenty of space for the lower chamber. Most of the stream tanks I've seen are wide and shallow. This looks great, but I really wanted to be able to see long stem plants swaying in the current, so I went for a deeper tank.

To modify the tank, I ultimately ordered 5 pieces of glass from a local glass shop. I tried all sorts of DIY glass-work first. I tried salvaging glass and cutting glass and sanding glass that I didn't cut accurately, and at the end of the day, I was struggling to get the pieces I wanted. On a whim, I asked a glass company for an estimate. Turns out I could get everything professionally cut for just over $50. So I went with that.

The dimensions of the pieces are:
(2) 4" x 46 1/2" - these are the supports that run the length of the tank. They are adhered to the sides.
(1) 11 5/8" x 39" - this is the false bottom of the tank. It supports the substrate.
(2) 11 5/8" x 2" - these edges contain the substrate.

All the glass is 1/4" plate.

I ordered SDS 1200 silicon to stick everything together. It wasn't that expensive, and I wanted the extra strength.

After assembling the tank, I covered the lower chamber with a stick-on vinyl window tint to hide my messy silicon work. I think it looks sharp.

Tomorrow I install the powerhead and test the flow through the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stand1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	885039  

Name:	stand2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	885041  

Name:	stand3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	885043  

Name:	tankbuild1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	885045  

Name:	tankbuild2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	885047  

Name:	tankbuild3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	885049  

The plural of 'anecdote' is 'data.'
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Algae Grower

Very cool idea for a tank and it looks like you did a good job on the stand. I look forward to seeing your journal again

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:45 PM
Algae Grower

Ditto, looking forward to seeing how your tank progresses!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode