Budget 75 gallon low tech planted tank journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Budget 75 gallon low tech planted tank journal

Alright. It is finally time to start my 75 gallon low tech low light peaceful community densely planted aquarium.(What a mouth full)!

And it's all on a budget of 500 dollars.

So far I only have my stand, but I will soon start adding more and more to it until it is complete.

As for equipment, I will have:

1. Polar aurora 4 stage 525 GPH canister filter with built it 5 watt UV sterilizer.(and replacement media) $90.63

2. Boxtech submersible 300 watt heater with guard. $32.99

3. Aquaeffects model 2.(It would be wiser to go with the 48" nicrew light, but this one has sound effects so.....) $93.97

4. Segarty 6 in 1 aquascape tool set. $29.99

All this costs about $250 on amazon.

The nicrew LED is half the price as the aquaeffects, but also half as awesome. The aquaeffects has a built in dimmer, timer, 5+ different light and sound modes, etc.

The stand was on sale for $160. It is made of particle board so I would go with higher quality if possible, but that would be far more expensive.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by aquanerd13; 08-09-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:32 PM
Algae Grower

Looks like your off to a good start. Excited to see this come together.

post #3 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you! I am to. I am trying to find a tank right now, but am having a hard time. I am going to a different petco to see if they have anything before the sale ends.

Bump: I am using as little money as possible because my parents told me I have to start saving up for a car. I hated the idea at first, but then realized I could get a job at Wet Spot Tropical Fish, which is like 45 minutes away. The commute is bad, but working at the Oregon's best fish store? HECK YES!!!!!!!!
Discusluv and Daisy12 like this.

10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I could probably get discounts on fish to.....
post #5 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Algae Grower

Have you tried looking for used tanks from craigslist or local fb fish groups? Possibly on this forum too? You never know

Every once a while you hear ppl finding great deals.
sittinglynx likes this.

post #6 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are the plants I am thinking of getting:

anubias barteri x4
anubias cofeefolia x1
java fern x3
dwarf four leaf clover (Carpet patches)
duckweed (Floats)
temple plant x2
brazilia pennywort x2

MAYBE cryptocorene wendtii

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duboisi View Post
Have you tried looking for used tanks from craigslist or local fb fish groups? Possibly on this forum too? You never know

Every once a while you hear ppl finding great deals.
I am getting the 75 gallon tank on a 50% off sale, and my dad offered to pay for half of it so only have to $47.50. I can't find a better deal than that.
Discusluv likes this.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #7 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Thank you! I am to. I am trying to find a tank right now, but am having a hard time. I am going to a different petco to see if they have anything before the sale ends.

Bump: I am using as little money as possible because my parents told me I have to start saving up for a car. I hated the idea at first, but then realized I could get a job at Wet Spot Tropical Fish, which is like 45 minutes away. The commute is bad, but working at the Oregon's best fish store? HECK YES!!!!!!!!
Now working at Wet Spot would be cool! (thumbs up!)

Bump:
Quote:

anubias barteri x4
anubias cofeefolia x1
java fern x3
duckweed (Floats)
temple plant x2
brazilia pennywort x2

Bump:

I am getting the 75 gallon tank on a 50% off sale, and my dad offered to pay for half of it so only have to $47.50. I can't find a better deal than that.
Id keep an eye out for ROAK's as well for plants.

When you do get your tank up I can send you some Java Fern.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #8 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Amy, I'll pass on the Java Fern. Thank you though!! What is a ROAK? I googled it and found ROAK brewing co., but that is probably not what you are talking about.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #9 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:40 PM
Algae Grower

I 2nd @Duboisi opinion. I would be checking craigslist & letgo regularly. You very well might get a better deal on a new tank at Petsmart, but you might find a great deal on a used Tank, Stand, & Canopy all together on Craigslist (or re-purposed wood to build a rock solid stand). If needed, upgrade to a new tank later down the line. Personally, I would be skeptical of a stand for a 75 gallon tank with partial board, I would be guessing the studs are pine. A 55 gallons tank is 625lbs, so I think you're looking at 850lbs on your floor with a 75 gallon tank. Oak, Cherry or Walnut is the way to go. I know these are expensive materials, even for a home build, but think about the headache (heaven forbid) of taking everything down in a hurry because your stand is slowly collapsing. I've learned as long as I have a tank, I will be spending money on it, so I'd rather go slow with the mindset that I will not have to replace nearly anything in the long run. I'm trying to be helpful, not a downer, so I hope this is taken in the same spirit & if you've already studied all these bases, then ignore my old man need to be fatherly,lol! but...

Here's a 90 gallon for $350 with everything one posted a few hours ago in the Portland area.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...941278930.html

and a 75 gallon set up for $400

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...937915794.html

Anyway you go, I wish you luck and I hope this turns out to be a great tank and lots of fun for years to come

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau

Last edited by sittinglynx; 07-24-2019 at 10:42 PM. Reason: type o
post #10 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hopefully that wood floor is made out of pergo or something waterproof....my hardwood floors do not look the same after having aquariums on them even with great care....oh well, live and learn.

Quote:

anubias barteri x4
anubias cofeefolia x1
java fern x3
duckweed (Floats)
temple plant x2
brazilia pennywort x2

Bump:

I'm 45min away from WetSpot and can help you with the CoffeeFolia, Brazillian Pennywort, and Duckweed. Do you want giant duckweed or normal? LOL.

I would recommend holding off on Crypts initially until the substrate and tank gets more established and then plant them 6-12 months down the road.

Quote:
Thanks Amy, I'll pass on the Java Fern. Thank you though!! What is a ROAK? I googled it and found ROAK brewing co., but that is probably not what you are talking about.
Random Act Of Kindness (RAOK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinglynx View Post
I 2nd @Duboisi opinion. I would be checking craigslist & letgo regularly. You very well might get a better deal on a new tank at Petsmart, but you might find a great deal on a used Tank, Stand, & Canopy all together on Craigslist (or re-purposed wood to build a rock solid stand). If needed, upgrade to a new tank later down the line. Personally, I would be skeptical of a stand for a 75 gallon tank with partial board, I would be guessing the studs are pine. A 55 gallons tank is 625lbs, so I think you're looking at 850lbs on your floor with a 75 gallon tank. Oak, Cherry or Walnut is the way to go. I know these are expensive materials, even for a home build, but think about the headache (heaven forbid) of taking everything down in a hurry because your stand is slowly collapsing. I've learned as long as I have a tank, I will be spending money on it, so I'd rather go slow with the mindset that I will not have to replace nearly anything in the long run. I'm trying to be helpful, not a downer, so I hope this is taken in the same spirit & if you've already studied all these bases, then ignore my old man need to be fatherly,lol! but...

Here's a 90 gallon for $350 with everything one posted a few hours ago in the Portland area.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...941278930.html

and a 75 gallon set up for $400

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...937915794.html

Anyway you go, I wish you luck and I hope this turns out to be a great tank and lots of fun for years to come
Wise words. Don't cheap out on the stand. If it gets wet, particle board swells and then loses its integrity. I know because I'm in a pickle with my current stand that came with a great deal on CL. <sarcasm> Good thing NOTHING EVER goes wrong with hoses, canister filters, tanks, water changes, etc. <\end sarcasm> Put your canister filter in a shallow plastic tub...just in case.
sittinglynx likes this.
post #11 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you. I am getting moisture alarms and all that, but I will use a plastic tube to. I was going to use a non-toxic waterproof coating for the stand, but I could do that for the floor to. I will hold off on the crypts for now. I am still debating on them, so that will give me time to decide.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #12 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was wondering what a good carpeting plant would be? I was thinking java moss, but could i plant them directly in the substrate?

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #13 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I was wondering what a good carpeting plant would be? I was thinking java moss, but could i plant them directly in the substrate?
You've got a lot of threads about similar things going on. I would stay away from carpeting with java moss, but if you want some.....

Go with your dwarf 4-leaf clover, or hairgrass, dwarf sag, etc. It just depends on how dense you want your "carpet" to be.
post #14 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok thank you. Clover it is then.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #15 of 380 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I am about ready to go get the tank and place the first amazon order, then go to wet spot and check out driftwood. Depending on where I am at on the aquascape, I may get plants that trip to.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode