Budget 75 gallon low tech planted tank journal - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Just a guess, but I’m thinking in this design, it doesn’t matter too much, since the outputs are providing the current to as close to 100% of the tank as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YEP, everything gently in motion around whole tank and eventually gets swept over to canister input, maybe give it a little help with turkey baster 2-3 times a month. Nutrients distributed properly, oxygenated current lightly blowing across whole tanks substrate so it's bio-filter is purring like a well tuned engine. Plants at bottom just lightly wiggling in breeze with almost no debris settling on them anywhere in tank.

ChrisX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

ok. Could I just get 1 of those U shaped return pipes and use my cascade 200 HOB filter in place of that?

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Does this liset look good to you?

aquaeffects model 2 led light 93.95

Polar Aurora 4 stage 25 GPH canister filter 76.99

Segarty 6 in 1 aquascape tools set 29.99

Fairmount minerals pool filter sand 56.00(2 bags)

25' python water change hose 39.99

atlas 772 long sleeve gloves 11.68

2 in 1 water alarm 6.99

seachem paragaurd 13.50

sunny thick yoga mat 4.99

marina floating thermometer with suction cup 1.72

CNZ filter media pack 13.99

Aqueon pro series 300w heater 32.92

aquarium background 14.99

java fern bare root 12.00(x3)

aquatic arts java moss 25 square inch portion 20.92

ThePetStop U shaped filter outlet 8.59

3/4 inch water line 3 way splitter 18.13

Total= 465.76

Bump: It is WAY out of my ideal price range thanks to @DaveKS and his pointing out that I needed better flow. Any way to lower the price? I have the tank and the stand already so I can't get them off cragslist.

I am getting most of plants at wet spot as they are better deals, but some were better on amazon.

This is my plant list for wetspot.

Temple plant x2 $8.00
Brazilian pennywort x2 $8.00
Dwarf 4 leaf clover x3 pots $12.00
Anubias cofeefolia x1 $7.00
duckweed $1.00

10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Does this liset look good to you?

aquaeffects model 2 led light 93.95

Polar Aurora 4 stage 25 GPH canister filter 76.99

Segarty 6 in 1 aquascape tools set 29.99

Fairmount minerals pool filter sand 56.00(2 bags)

25' python water change hose 39.99

atlas 772 long sleeve gloves 11.68

2 in 1 water alarm 6.99

seachem paragaurd 13.50

sunny thick yoga mat 4.99

marina floating thermometer with suction cup 1.72

CNZ filter media pack 13.99

Aqueon pro series 300w heater 32.92

aquarium background 14.99

java fern bare root 12.00(x3)

aquatic arts java moss 25 square inch portion 20.92

ThePetStop U shaped filter outlet 8.59

3/4 inch water line 3 way splitter 18.13

Total= 465.76

Bump: It is WAY out of my ideal price range thanks to @DaveKS and his pointing out that I needed better flow. Any way to lower the price? I have the tank and the stand already so I can't get them off cragslist.

I am getting most of plants at wet spot as they are better deals, but some were better on amazon.

This is my plant list for wetspot.

Temple plant x2 $8.00
Brazilian pennywort x2 $8.00
Dwarf 4 leaf clover x3 pots $12.00
Anubias cofeefolia x1 $7.00
duckweed $1.00

For filtration- just do what you can afford to begin and modify as needed/budget permits. The turnover rate of these two filters are perfectly fine for what your planning. Make sure that, with your python, you keep areas clean at substrate where you may get build-up of waste/debris, do weekly water changes, do not over-feed--- and it will be fine.

You could save a lot more on plants by getting them from members on this forum. Especially those that are willing to give you plants for free.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #35 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you. So you think DaveKS is right about the filter? If so, buying that stuff is not a problem. Thank you again.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #36 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thank you. So you think DaveKS is right about the filter? If so, buying that stuff is not a problem. Thank you again.
If you can afford it; sure, do it. Anytime you take measures to ensure no dead spots in aquarium where debris might accumulate is worthwhile.

post #37 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Perfect, Thank you so much everybody!!

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #38 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Could I dry start java moss? It would be on driftwood.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #39 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Could I dry start java moss? It would be on driftwood.
You could, but it would be easier to tie it or glue it to the driftwood. After a month, cut the thread and you're good to go and you wouldn't be having to go from emersed to submerged.
post #40 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you. I did some reading and I am going with the seachem flourish glue. I will also use it for my java fern and anubias.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #41 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you. I did some reading and I am going with the seachem flourish glue.
Crazy glue gel type CyanoAcrylate is the same and can be bought at dollar store. Just make sure its only CyanoAcrylate.
Discusluv likes this.

post #42 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Our dollar store does not carry stuff like that I don't think, and we never go there

Bump: So I am about to place the big order on amazon. Is there anything I was missing from the list in one of my earlier posts? Any reminders?

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #43 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Dude you need to just slow down.

Get canister, you don't even know what size hose canister comes with which you will need to know to buy proper sized extra plumbing parts. I've looked online and I can't find those specs.

Sand? Do you not have a ACE hardware around you where you can get HTH pool sand? Its almost half the price of what your ordering.

I would get those, mat and heater and go from there. Get those set up, running and start the fishless cycle routine. Your also going to probably need to do some shimming of stand etc, in most houses floor is far from level.

I also think your going to be disappointed with that lights intensity at substrate in 21" tall tank. its par at substrate will probably only be about 25, they list par as [email protected]" so at water column height yours will be slightly below that.
varanidguy and sittinglynx like this.
post #44 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Dude you need to just slow down.

Get canister, you don't even know what size hose canister comes with which you will need to know to buy proper sized extra plumbing parts. I've looked online and I can't find those specs.

Sand? Do you not have a ACE hardware around you where you can get HTH pool sand? Its almost half the price of what your ordering.

I would get those, mat and heater and go from there. Get those set up, running and start the fishless cycle routine. Your also going to probably need to do some shimming of stand etc, in most houses floor is far from level.

I also think your going to be disappointed with that lights intensity at substrate in 21" tall tank. its par at substrate will probably only be about 25, they list par as [email protected]" so at water column height yours will be slightly below that.
It says 3/4 inch hoses. I already shimmed the stand. I don't need to cycle as I have 11 neon tetras with a cascade 200 and the filter will go in there with the tetras when the time comes. Then when I need to quarantine the new fish after about 6 months, I can put the cascade back on the 10 gallon for quarantine. As for the sand, thank you so much. I checked the website and the price is cheaper than dirt.(literally). I know 0 about how much PAR for good viewing. What light do you recommend instead? Thank you very much for catching those. Sorry I am new to the lighting thing. I don't use a light on my current tank as I only have anubias.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Last edited by aquanerd13; 07-31-2019 at 04:54 AM. Reason: spelling error
post #45 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
It says 3/4 inch hoses. I already shimmed the stand. I don't need to cycle as I have 11 neon tetras in a cascade 200 and the filter will go in there when the time comes. Then when I need to quarantine the new fish after about 6 months, I can put the cascade back on the 10 gallon for quarantine. As for the sand, thank you so much. I checked the website and the price is cheaper than dirt.(literally). I know 0 about how much PAR for good viewing. What light do you recommend instead? Thank you very much for catching those. Sorry I am new to the lighting thing. I don't use a light on my current tank as I only have anubias.
Adding new decor, substrate, and all that will still cause ammonia, even if you put on an already established filter. The established filter will definitely help, but I wouldn't bet on an "insta-cycle".

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode