Budget 75 gallon low tech planted tank journal - Page 25 - The Planted Tank Forum
 148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
What should I crush their heads with? I don't have clove oil or crushed cloves, so that is the only option.

That would depend on how confident you are, and whatnot. I would use my ballpeen hammer and do it as swiftly as physically possible. No way to get some from Target or a local store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can you put them in a separate tank? Maybe some will iive?

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #363 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I did it yesterday alrady. RIP neon tetras .

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal

post #364 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:49 PM
Planted Member

Rip......

--UN--
post #365 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I made 'body bags' out of strips of aluminum foil, quickly netted the fish, wrapped them in the foil, layed them on a cutting board and smashed them with a frying pan. It was clean, quick, and painless.

10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #366 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you did the best that could be expected for them.
post #367 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Yes, I figured this would be the most humane method other than clove oil.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #368 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well I have off the charts nitrates, so I had better go do a water change. The thing I like about this water changer is that it is very slow. I can be looking around on this forum or researching or trimming plants or whatever while it does the water change. Filling it back up is a pain in the butt because I had the thing going for 5 hours and it put about half an inch of water in the tank! I am using the water hose instead to fill it up.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #369 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Banned

This is kinda off topic but I may have just saved the lives of crabs being sold by Petco. I read their 'freshwater'(actually brackish) crab care sheet checking for flaws and they said they require tanks of 5 gallons and they like freshwater. I contacted them and they said their sources say I am correct and that they will talk to the people on their end. I will be watching that care sheet to see if it changes. I think I may look at all the big box store websites and tell them about flaws. I doubt most will listen, but sometimes they may.
united natures likes this.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #370 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Here are some pics I took this morning. I recently propagated the pennywort. I am planning on making a thick jungle of the stuff so the fish can hide in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0723.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	888219  

Name:	IMG_0724.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	888221  

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	888223  

varanidguy likes this.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #371 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Things look like they’re on the right track, good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aquanerd13 likes this.

|
post #372 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you! I just got an auto feeder to keep it cycled while I am gone.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #373 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I am back now. I will test the water later. I have 6.5 weeks before I leave on a 3-week vacation. Should I stock before or after the vacation? If I QT for 2 weeks, I could get the fish this week and after QT have 4 weeks to make sure they are happy. What fish should I add first?

Ok. So here is the plan for food. New life spectrum Thera-a regular formula. These are slow sinking pellets, so they should get to the honey gouramis but especially the cherry barbs. I also have some Aqueon flakes they can have to. Should I get bug bites tropical formula?

I will also have Fluval bug bites bottom feeder food for the Corydoras. I think this will be good because in the wild they eat mostly insects and small inverts. Some of the NLS should get to them too. Should I get the omega 1 sinking shrimp pellets instead for the corys?

I have also heard not to feed corys too much high protein food? But others say they need lots of protein.

I will give the fish FD bloodworms as treats to. I will also get them some brine shrimp every once in a while.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Last edited by aquanerd13; 10-29-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Stuff
post #374 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 06:46 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I would be inclined to wait until I got back from vacation before buying new fish you're just going to leave for 3 weeks once they get settled in.
varanidguy and aquanerd13 like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #375 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

That is how I felt. Thanks.

Does this stocking seem like too much?

8 x Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna)
20 x Cherry Barb (Puntius titteya)
11 x False Julii Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode