Budget 75 gallon low tech planted tank journal - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What about extra plumbing for canister tank return, you’ll need 2 of these plus spraybar it comes with along with plumping parts to build a manifold with 3 outputs to effectively cover a tank of that size. One spray bar isn’t even close to cutting it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I am confused. An 18 inch long .5 inch diameter spray bar isn't enough? It comes with 2 types of outputs. Here it is.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LYHTTMA5&psc=1

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

Budget 75 gallon low tech planted tank journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
I am confused. An 18 inch long .5 inch diameter spray bar isn't enough? It comes with 2 types of outputs. Here it is.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LYHTTMA5&psc=1

You can use that filter no problem but you’ll probably want to add a wave maker to prevent dead spots. On four foot (and wider) tanks, many people like to double up on canisters as well. I’m likely going to choose the former, but I’m after the HW-3000, over 700 gph rated, but real world likely a bit less. Should still give decent turnover. Also on a 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

post #19 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nope, yes I looked at filter. in a 4ft by 18” tank, especially with a 20” water column height you’ll need that spraybar blowing down back wall to make current at back of tank that sweeps down and across substrate and keeps debris moving and then 2 nozzles in top corners blowing slightly towards center and providing surface ripple and the current will meet in middle and then sweeps down front glass to provide circulation to front of tank.

I would have at least that many outputs splitting up that 560gph into 3 185gph outputs and distributing them around tank evenly front and back. You can’t properly set up a 4’x18”x 20” tank with one output, you’ll end up with circulation dead zones. And 565gph entering tank at one point will blow your plants sideways in that area so that is another problem but you’ll also still end up with dead spots.

My 65gal that I had (36x18x24) had 4 200gph nozzles, 2 blowing down back glass covering back and 2 blowing at front glass sweeping around front of tank. It was a perfect setup.

Your actually a bit underpowered on gph so you better set it up to be as effective as possible at keeping tank swept up and evenly distributing current/nutrients/oxygen/gases around tank.

With that segmented spraybar you might be able to get away with pointing half of it down back wall behind plants and then point other half up at front glass and give the front half of tank circulation and do surface ripple/gas exchange.

With a 12” tank you can get away with a single spraybar pointed at front of tank, 18” tanks are a different beast altogether.

I’ve been setting up aquariums for 30yrs and proper circulation and flow patterns in tank are easily as important as lights, substrate and ferts/nutrients.
varanidguy and LucySerio like this.
post #20 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I will also have a cascade penn plaz 200 HOB filter.

10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #21 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

also I have honey gouramis, which can't have current.

Bump: Anyways I just got the tank. I hope to get it and the stand into position today

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #22 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Does anyone have a recommendations for how many plants I should get?

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #23 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Does anyone have a recommendations for how many plants I should get?
As many as you can afford. The more plants you plant in the beginning, the better.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

|
post #24 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
also I have honey gouramis, which can't have current.

Bump: Anyways I just got the tank. I hope to get it and the stand into position today
Which is even more reason to split up the output from that canister into 3-4 outputs that are a gentler 185gph or less and distribute them evenly around tank than having one bombastic 565gph output.
post #25 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Which is even more reason to split up the output from that canister into 3-4 outputs that are a gentler 185gph or less and distribute them evenly around tank than having one bombastic 565gph output.

I like the idea of having multiple outputs. Do you like this method rather than a spray bar? Do you have any pictures of how you plumb multiple outlets to a single canister?

|
post #26 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

yes. A picture would be nice.

I will get this for tubing
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A7OH1LS91Z6GF

As for sprays, a list or general idea of what I need would nice.

Bump: Also keep in mind that I really need to impress my parents with this tank. A bunch of huge ugly filter outputs/spraybars will be hard to hide, even in a tank that large. I also wanted to make a 'curtain' of plants at the back of the tank, leaving several inches between the plants and the back wall so the fish can hide from the tv or people or whatever.

Bump: is this output a good one?

Bump: So what you want me to do is put the spraybar on the back wall with my cascade 200 and point the bar downwards to the bottom of the tank, and then 2 of those duckbills on the sides of the tank?

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #27 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
I like the idea of having multiple outputs. Do you like this method rather than a spray bar? Do you have any pictures of how you plumb multiple outlets to a single canister?

this is basically what I would set up in that tank. All it will take is 6-8ft of extra hose and 2 nozzles plus sprayer canister comes with and a few plumbing parts.

varanidguy likes this.

Last edited by DaveKS; 07-30-2019 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Typo
post #28 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

output nozzles x2
https://www.amazon.com/Multipurpose-...upplies&sr=1-3

thats wrong size hose, your hose couldn't possibly be 3/16 ID on that canister,,measure id of hose that came with it and match that. nor will you need 26ft of it

put background on tank and only thing you'll see are nozzles and sprayer coming over top edge. all hoses will be on back out of sight.
post #29 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Ok thx so much. Will do.

Bump: Where should the intake tube be?

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #30 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Ok thx so much. Will do.

Bump: Where should the intake tube be?

Just a guess, but I’m thinking in this design, it doesn’t matter too much, since the outputs are providing the current to as close to 100% of the tank as possible.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode