Jake's Spec V Shrimp Tank feat. Taiwan Bees - Page 9 - The Planted Tank Forum
 100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This little tank is right next to you most of the time when you are working as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Right in the middle of 5 screens, even. Really breaks up the malarky I have to wade through every day.

Honestly, all but one of my tiny tanks (H. rubra) are right beside my desk. Figure I should look at them a lot if I'm going to have them in my home. Makes having them more enjoyable and I feel more invested in their success.

I'm strangely more excited about the Spec III, now that I have it by my desk, than I am about the rest of my tanks. Probably because it's so simple. And because I'm anticipating huge Crypts within the next 6-8 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
This little tank is right next to you most of the time when you are working as well
Discusluv and aquanerd13 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #123 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Spec III Update: Added some ceramic media from one of my canister filters a couple days ago and the tank already shows nitrite at about 2PPM. Yay? Doesn't change anything because I'll be allowing this tank to grow in and mature for a month or two. But nice to know there won't be an issue getting it to process waste. It's eating 1.5PPM ammonium per day.

Great to have a reminder that things can be easier with inert substrate.

Using tap water to "cycle" this tank but will switch to remineralized RO/DI. It's currently sitting at kH 2-3 and gH 7-8 and that's close to what I'll aim for when mixing my own water.

Wouldn't normally have too much of an issue using tap but the water system here adds a ton of chloramine. That means there's ammonia/ammonium once it's hit with Prime. On top of the 1-2PPM ammonia that already exists in the water supply on a regular basis. So it's not exactly ideal in a shrimp tank.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #124 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Finally sorted through all of the giant pieces of Manzanita I've got and was able to come up with a bunch of scraps that will be perfect for tiny tanks.

Check it:

Most of it had broken off through the years into the bottom of the containers the wood was in. Cut off a few select branchy pieces. I should have looked through that stuff years ago. Would have been able to come up with something way nicer for the Spec III.

Speaking of the III: Processes 2PPM Ammonia per day, no Nitrite remains. Gonna be a fun waiting game until I can add shrimp.

The new piece of wood I added has some fun gunk growing on it:

It'll be gone by the time shrimp are added but they would love it.

Spec V is chugging along but the Ramshorns have ruined my C. parva bed:

*insert rage*

Not even gonna replant it. Just gonna remove the rest, I think.

Unrelated to these tanks but... I got a new toy.

Any guesses?

Finally used up all the store credit I had after trading in 1,000+ Endlers this spring. The store estimated it was closer 2,000 but who really knows? They were a nightmare. All I know is I snagged a new toy.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #125 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am guessing that is a filter guard for baby shrimp? Kinda odd shape though. IDK what it is.
Discusluv likes this.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #126 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

They're parts that go to this:

Was going to go with a standard 5.5gal or 10gal but decided to use something that looks nicer and is all-in-one.

Guess it's time to start yet another journal. Will probably wait until I have hardscape figured out and have the new substrate I want in-hand.
Econde, Discusluv and aquanerd13 like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #127 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
They're parts that go to this:

Was going to go with a standard 5.5gal or 10gal but decided to use something that looks nicer and is all-in-one.

Guess it's time to start yet another journal. Will probably wait until I have hardscape figured out and have the new substrate I want in-hand.
I love the look of these tanks. I would love to get the 32 gallon! Looks great on that countertop. Warm toned soil/substrate would look amazing.

Amy
post #128 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

While I'm not a fan of having another cube, the interior dimensions have grown on me over the past day. Not a big fan of the height but like the length and width.

Need to spend a couple hours coming up with hardscape. Thinking something with black lava rock and manzanita to create some height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I love the look of these tanks. I would love to get the 32 gallon! Looks great on that countertop. Warm toned soil/substrate would look amazing.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #129 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:16 PM
Algae Grower

What's the purpose of the black stuff that looks like screening that they have at the top of these tanks? I think the SPEC 16g has the same thing. My wife didn't like that on a few of the tank models we looked at, so I'm curious if there is a reason for the design choice.
post #130 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

It's to disguise visible waterline, buildup and dampen light spillover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortass View Post
What's the purpose of the black stuff that looks like screening that they have at the top of these tanks? I think the SPEC 16g has the same thing. My wife didn't like that on a few of the tank models we looked at, so I'm curious if there is a reason for the design choice.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #131 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Some interesting mold growth on the new piece of wood in my Spec III:

Protein film on the surface of the water adds an interesting dynamic to the shot.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #132 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great photo! Very sci fi.
Discusluv likes this.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #133 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Spec III:

Cryptocoryne have finally stopped melting and new growth has begun:

Still need to make a trip to Petco to see if I can get my hands on more C. undulata/undulatus to fill out the back of the tank. It's surprisingly tough to find at my usual haunts.

Spec V:

Time to trim the moss?

Check out all the bits of stuff growing around the myriad Bucephalandra in the tank:

Unrelated but tons of my Tillandsia are throwing pups in the sunroom:

Gonna have to start moving them inside over the next week because the room isn't insulated. My place is going to be overflowing with houseplants.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #134 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Spec III:

Cryptocoryne have finally stopped melting and new growth has begun:

Still need to make a trip to Petco to see if I can get my hands on more C. undulata/undulatus to fill out the back of the tank. It's surprisingly tough to find at my usual haunts.

Spec V:

Time to trim the moss?

Check out all the bits of stuff growing around the myriad Bucephalandra in the tank:

Unrelated but tons of my Tillandsia are throwing pups in the sunroom:

Gonna have to start moving them inside over the next week because the room isn't insulated. My place is going to be overflowing with houseplants.
Excellent pictures-- hope you take more of the houseplants as well.

Amy
post #135 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 01:23 AM
Banned

I really like the tillandsia. It is a very unique looking plant. The tank looks great! I can't wait to see it grown in!

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode