3g Ultum Nature Systems High Tech Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
3g Ultum Nature Systems High Tech Planted Tank

Hey guys! I come from the saltwater side of the hobby, so this is my first real shot at a planted tank and it's been a blast! I set this tank up on 5/5/19 and I finally decided to make a thread about it. The aquarium itself is an Ultum Nature Systems 3N, the dimensions are 12.20 X 7.48 X 7.48 (3gallons). As far as the equipment goes, I have a Kessil A80 Tuna Sun(set to max intensity), an Azoo Aquarium Mignon Filter 60, a DOOA CO2 Mini Diffuser J, a DOOA CO2 Mini Counter, an Aquatek CO2 Regulator Mini, 2 ADA check valves, a NilocG CO2 Drop Checker, and a Tippmann Aluminum CO2 Paintbal Tank. Also I use RODI water and re-mineralize it with Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+, and I do 50% water changes once per week. At this point there isn't any livestock in the aquarium, I'm going to only have high grade cherry shimp in this tank. I have 3 species of plants, Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini', Micranthemum monte carlo, and Staurogyne repens. The hardscape is 3 ADA Seiryu Stones, and I use NilocG's Thrive C fertilizer at 1ml per week (anymore than that and i run into algae issues). The tank is definitely ready for the cherry shrimp, but im thinking about making a few changes to the tank before I get them and I'm looking for some advice. So first off I'm thinking about removing the HOB filter and replacing it with either an Ehiem surface skimmer or an ADA surface skimmer (significantly higher price point lol). Second I'm wanting to do a huge trim because stuff is getting a little wild now haha. So my question is weather it's ok to do both of these events at the same time or do I do them separately, if separate which one should I do first? Besides a couple of run ins with green hair alage this has been one of the easiest aquariums I've ever cared for, hope you guys enjoy the ride!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

5/5/19

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

6/5/19

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

6/12/19
Best the tank has looked in my opinion

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

7/6/19
The monte carlo is a little more overgrown than I'd like...

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:44 AM
Algae Grower

Very cool little tank! Any livestock plans for it?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoncor View Post
Very cool little tank! Any livestock plans for it?
Thanks! It's a perfect fit for my dresser lol!
Yes to the livestock! I plan on getting some of the higher grade cherry shrimp from theshrimpfarm.com, my buddy ordered some from there about a year ago and they were really nice! Might throw in 1 snail, but not sure whats the best kind for this set up. No fish though, the filtration is pretty minimal so I think shimp only will be good.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Still havent gotten around to getting the shrimp, it's been really hot in my area lately so I'm a little afraid of shipping lol

Heres a pic of the tank before I do a massive trim! The monte carlo has gotten out of hand while I've been working a lot of OT haha.

irishspy likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow that's great growth for a first timer, tank looks lush and healthy, shrimp would look beautiful in there
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:12 PM
Algae Grower

Really nice setup!
How do you like the Doaqua CO2 setup? Do you have a solenoid? Or do you just leave CO2 running all the time?

What do you think about Thrive? How often do you dose it? I am leaning towards Thrive for a fertilizer, but I will probably does once a day.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantedcichlid View Post
Wow that's great growth for a first timer, tank looks lush and healthy, shrimp would look beautiful in there
Thanks, I really appreciate that!! I did a lot of research before hand, and this tank has been an awesome learning experience! I'm going to be ordering the shrimp here in about 2 weeks now, stay tuned!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGK View Post
Really nice setup!
How do you like the Doaqua CO2 setup? Do you have a solenoid? Or do you just leave CO2 running all the time?

What do you think about Thrive? How often do you dose it? I am leaning towards Thrive for a fertilizer, but I will probably does once a day.
The DoAqua set has been awesome! Super clean look, and my friends who come over and see the tank usually comment on the co2 glassware. It and the tank makes for an awesome conversation piece. I use a Aquatek mini co2 regulator/solenoid and it's on a timer plugged into the power strip. I now have it so the co2 comes on a hour before the lights and shuts off a hour before the light turn off.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Really nice setup!

Co2 tank and regulator/solenoid

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:12 AM
Algae Grower

Awesome!!
Thanks for sharing!
How do you like thrive? I am thinking about going that route. I am planing a 90P setup.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Awesome!!
Thanks for sharing!
How do you like thrive? I am thinking about going that route. I am planing a 90P setup.
No problem man! I love the thrive lol, it has micoa, macros, and everything you need!! I havent ever used anything else before so I cant really compare, but if you have any questions about how much to dose email Nilocg himself and he gives you really detailed instructions on how much to dose at different stages of the tanks growth. Also he'll recommend one of his products he thinks will work best with your set up. Awesome guy, and an awesome product!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode