LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Custom 25 gallon Iwagumi setup

Planted and Filled Jan 23,2020:

Full tank shot day 15:

Full tank shot day 22:

Starting my first planted tank so thought I would share my setup.

I used to have a SPS dominated reef tank of about the same size but with a sump. Unfortunately after it started to really take off at the two year mark I had to break it down for moving. Was a really hard choice and I have always missed not having it.
I decide this time I would go for a planted tank as the maintenance will be a little less as there is no need to mix salt water.

Old Reef Tank:

New Planted Tank:

-Custom low iron rimless tank with 10 mm glass (25 gallons 24" W x 15 3/4" H x 15 3/4" D)
-Ikea cabinet with high gloss door as stand

Lighting:

-Kessil a360x Tuna sun with spectral x controller

Equipment:

-Ehime pro 4+ 350 filter
-VIV glass lilly pipe and surface skimmer
-MP 10 powerhead

-Aqua labs dual stage regulator (turned out to be broken so I hope to get a replacement from the store) Was replaced by store.
-5 lbs co2 tank
-In tank glass co2 diffuser
-DIY co2 reactor 18"

-Jabeo automatic dosing pump
-DIY glass water bottle dosing reservoirs
-DIY glass dosing tube holder

-200 w hydor inline heater

Substrate:

-ADA power sand
-ADA substrate additives
-Tropica soil
-Torpica powder

Plants: (Tropica 1-2 grow cups)

-Hemianthus callitrichoides (Baby tears) cuba smaller (cup) x 6
-Hemianthus micranthemoides (Monte Carol) (cup) x 9
-Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' short grass (cup) x 3
-Helanthium tenellum green (pygmy sword) (cup) x 2

Will be setting this up as a Iwagumi style tank with Seriyu stone.
I have planned my hardscape in a sandbox the size of my tank, just waiting until after a vacation over the summer to fill the tank so I will be around for the settling in process.

Last edited by BeastlyFern; 02-14-2020 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Added photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:28 AM
Algae Grower

Nice setup man, plus that rock formation. What plants and fish are you getting?
BeastlyFern likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
very nice and organize. I too changed my 25 cube from a reef to planted tank. Still have my 375 gallons reef tho
BeastlyFern likes this.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanyan View Post
Nice setup man, plus that rock formation. What plants and fish are you getting?
Thanks very much.

Stocking plans as of now:

Fish:

-A school of 15-20 neon tetras
-A couple of shrimp and some snails to help with algae control

Plants:

-Mostly Micranthemum (Monte Carlo) and Hemianthus callitrichoides (Cuba) for the carpet

-Eleocharis acicularis (mini) transitions between carpet and rocks

-small amount of Helanthium tenellum green (pygmy sword) for scale shift against the Eleocharis acicularis (mini)

-Small amount of fissidens fontanus on the rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25cube2019 View Post
very nice and organize. I too changed my 25 cube from a reef to planted tank. Still have my 375 gallons reef tho
Thanks, I like to keep things as neat as possible. Oh man that is a nice sized reef tank, I do miss mine but can't go back there for a few years at least.
Janci likes this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Had to wait on this tank for a long time because I was way to busy with work and having to travel but now I finally get a chance to plant it soon and filler up.

Hardscape before planting:

All the plants waiting to get planted. Just need to get my Ro filter setup up and running tonight and tomorrow will be the day to plant and fill.

Plants:

Hemianthus callitrichoides (Baby tears) cuba smaller (cup) x 6

Hemianthus micranthemoides (Monte Carol) (cup) x 9

Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' short grass (cup) x 3

Helanthium tenellum green (pygmy sword) (cup) x 2

Heteranthera zosterifolia (cup) x 1

Blue Ridge Reef and Janci like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" border="0" />
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 04:07 AM
Algae Grower

Great set up and aquascape.
Could you exchange the CO2 regulator?
BeastlyFern likes this.

Just in for information... and planning, a lot of planning
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janci View Post
Great set up and aquascape.
Could you exchange the CO2 regulator?
Thanks

Yes, thankfully they did send me a replacment. They did not even have me return the broken one so I can use it for some parts if I need as the solenoidgaug, es and needle valve are fine.

" border="0" />
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finished planting, way overestimated the amount of plants I needed. Oh well

Just need to add water.

Blue Ridge Reef and Janci like this.

" border="0" />
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:48 PM

That setup looks great. The school of tetras will look really nice. Cant wait to see it in action.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:17 PM
Algae Grower

Please make sure that IKEA cabinet is reinforced before you fill it with water.
- Are you using metal or plastic legs?
- Do NOT use plastic legs.
- Make sure metal legs are supporting the side panels. Your top panel (counter top) is supported by side panels and the weight needs to be transferred to the floor by the legs.
- Do NOT rely on the bottom shelf to support 25 gallons of water.

I would also internally reinforce that cabinet by attaching (minimum) vertical support posts (1x3 or 1x4 hardwood or pine) on 4 inside corners (to transfer counter top weight to the legs) and a diagonal cross piece for any lateral movement/shake.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC997 View Post
Please make sure that IKEA cabinet is reinforced before you fill it with water.
- Are you using metal or plastic legs?
- Do NOT use plastic legs.
- Make sure metal legs are supporting the side panels. Your top panel (counter top) is supported by side panels and the weight needs to be transferred to the floor by the legs.
- Do NOT rely on the bottom shelf to support 25 gallons of water.

I would also internally reinforce that cabinet by attaching (minimum) vertical support posts (1x3 or 1x4 hardwood or pine) on 4 inside corners (to transfer counter top weight to the legs) and a diagonal cross piece for any lateral movement/shake.
Metal legs for sure and they are placed under the side panels. They have a 2.5"-3" x 1/4" bolting flange on the top that rides over the the side panels.

The back panel on the stand was reinforced with 1/2" plywood sheet across the back with comer brackets to help with and rocking.

A top panel was glued and screwed to the top of the cabinet and the edges rest on the side panels.

I did not put any bracing in the corners as it seemed fairly stable and I wanted to keep the top shelf. I had it filled for testing for a month and nothing moved. Maybe I should consider this.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

" border="0" />

Last edited by BeastlyFern; 01-24-2020 at 05:27 PM. Reason: double post
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 06:29 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastlyFern View Post
The back panel on the stand was reinforced with 1/2" plywood sheet across the back with comer brackets to help with and rocking.
That is good. 1/2" plywood across the back will prevent any possible lateral movement. Glad to hear that. I like IKEA cabinets, great modular and modern design, but they are far from supporting a tank. Can't wait to see your tank's progress, as I am also setting up a 26 gallon in-wall tank myself.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 06:53 PM
Suspended

Nice setup.

A couple of things from my experience in case your not aware of them:

If that's an active substrate like ADA Aquasoil, make sure you follow water change guidelines (50% every day 1st week, every other 2nd and then at least one per week.

The Seiryu Stone will increase KH significantly. Some plants don't like that, so the water changes will be important for that as well (as long as your tap is low)

Keep lights on a very short cycle (4-5 hrs max), if not you will make the mistake many do by dealing with algae after it already starts instead of preventing it in the first place.

Use carbon and/or Purigen in the filter until the plants and bio-filter mature.
BeastlyFern likes this.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Nice setup.

A couple of things from my experience in case your not aware of them:

If that's an active substrate like ADA Aquasoil, make sure you follow water change guidelines (50% every day 1st week, every other 2nd and then at least one per week.

The Seiryu Stone will increase KH significantly. Some plants don't like that, so the water changes will be important for that as well (as long as your tap is low)

Keep lights on a very short cycle (4-5 hrs max), if not you will make the mistake many do by dealing with algae after it already starts instead of preventing it in the first place.

Use carbon and/or Purigen in the filter until the plants and bio-filter mature.
Thanks for the tips.

I am running tap/ro to keep my kh lower to start but will keep an eye on that. I read about this a few weeks after buying all my stone. I really like the look if it so will make sure to keep up on that.

The soil is Tropica, they only suggest a water change ever 2-3 days at first but will make sure to do that.

I have the lights set for 6 hours so maybe I will dial it back a bit more.

Was thinking of running some carbon so I will run out to get some and maybe purigen as well.

You have a amazing tank by the way.

" border="0" />
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 10:28 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastlyFern View Post
Thanks for the tips.

I am running tap/ro to keep my kh lower to start but will keep an eye on that. I read about this a few weeks after buying all my stone. I really like the look if it so will make sure to keep up on that.

The soil is Tropica, they only suggest a water change ever 2-3 days at first but will make sure to do that.

I have the lights set for 6 hours so maybe I will dial it back a bit more.

Was thinking of running some carbon so I will run out to get some and maybe purigen as well.

You have a amazing tank by the way.
Sure and thanks!

If your ever in doubt, more water changes won't hurt even during cycling. I'm not sure how much ammonia is leached from Tropica, I know wth ADA Aquasoil it's alot, so just follow their directions.

My current tank is off the tap with a KH of 2, but the Seiryu stone brings it up to a KH of 8. My plants aren't sensitive, but certain stems are one being HC.
BeastlyFern likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode