Custom 25 gallon Iwagumi setup - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filled the tank yesterday, went fairly well, had a few pieces of HC float out of the substrate but was able to get them back down.

Performing water changes everyday for a while during the cycle. Hope all goes well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" border="0" />
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 06:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is that a mp10? I took my out of the 40 gallons due to it too strong of flow
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25cube2019 View Post
Is that a mp10? I took my out of the 40 gallons due to it too strong of flow
Yes it is a mp10. Seems to be ok so far on the lowest setting. Had it around an thought it would help will my circular flow and keep detritus off the ground. The canister filter is slowed down a little with a inline heater and a co2 reactor as well.

" border="0" />

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My Helanthium tenellum green (pygmy sword) flowered after planting it. There are two more coming. It is nice to see.

" border="0" />
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 06:52 PM
Algae Grower

Looks swell! What power setting are you running the Kessil on at the moment?
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 04:15 AM
Algae Grower

Gorgeous tank, brother. I look forward to following it and watching it progress!
BeastlyFern likes this.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
Looks swell! What power setting are you running the Kessil on at the moment?
Thanks

Right now I am only running it for about 4-5 hrs.

Colour %: Intensity %:

10-------------- 25 1 hr
30-------------- 40 1 hr
55-------------- 40 1.5 hr
30-------------- 25 1

Then about an hour before and after with very low intensity like 1 % with some orange or red for a little morning dusk effects.

So far really happy with the light but it is early days.

" border="0" />
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastlyFern View Post
Thanks

Right now I am only running it for about 4-5 hrs.

Colour %: Intensity %:

10-------------- 25 1 hr
30-------------- 40 1 hr
55-------------- 40 1.5 hr
30-------------- 25 1

Then about an hour before and after with very low intensity like 1 % with some orange or red for a little morning dusk effects.

So far really happy with the light but it is early days.
I get ya, still a bit early to tell but looks nice from what I can see. Do you reckon you'll increase the intensity as the tank matures, or just increase the duration? Trying to get a good understanding of the strength of these lights as I'm in the market for some Kessil lights myself. My tank would be 26" long and 10" high so a bit different, contemplating 2xA80 at the moment.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I get ya, still a bit early to tell but looks nice from what I can see. Do you reckon you'll increase the intensity as the tank matures, or just increase the duration? Trying to get a good understanding of the strength of these lights as I'm in the market for some Kessil lights myself. My tank would be 26" long and 10" high so a bit different, contemplating 2xA80 at the moment.
I only plan on extending the lighting period unless I find the plants want more light. The light is probably over kill for my tank but I like the control of this model and then I don't have to worry about upgrading anytime as I have a lot of headroom for increasing the intensity.

The percentages I used were from a email conversation with Kessil about my light, tank size and needs. You could just message them about the A80's and they might give you a good starting point for levels.

" border="0" />
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

With an iwagumi setup, where you have limited plant mass and you need to good light to reach most high-light carpets your better off with a shorter photo period in the beginning anyway. If you have a long photo period and you dim the lights too much it won't grow the carpet, but will grow algae.

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
With an iwagumi setup, where you have limited plant mass and you need to good light to reach most high-light carpets your better off with a shorter photo period in the beginning anyway. If you have a long photo period and you dim the lights too much it won't grow the carpet, but will grow algae.
In your opinion do you think the percentages I am running might be too low then? Hard to say I guess without a par meter. Just watching carefully trying to respond to the signs in my system. Only on day 6 now but no algae yet also can say if there is much growth either.

" border="0" />

Last edited by BeastlyFern; 01-28-2020 at 08:14 PM. Reason: double post
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
In your opinion do you think the percentages I am running might be too low then? Hard to say I guess without a par meter. Just watching carefully trying to respond to the signs in my system. Only on day 6 now but no algae yet also can say if there is much growth either.

Bump:

Not really familiar with the light. Did Kessil give you any PAR data? In any case one of the lighting will probably comment.
BeastlyFern likes this.

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:06 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Not really familiar with the light. Did Kessil give you any PAR data? In any case one of the lighting will probably comment.
I've been researching Kessil for a few days now and it seems they don't provide PAR readings, in some thread I read (think it was off an reef site) the customer service referred to the Kessil led not being metered in a good way due to their balance between the different colour tones - BS according to some forum members. Think the thread is just a quick google away, it was pasted in on this forum at some stage as well.

Bump:
Quote:
I only plan on extending the lighting period unless I find the plants want more light. The light is probably over kill for my tank but I like the control of this model and then I don't have to worry about upgrading anytime as I have a lot of headroom for increasing the intensity.

The percentages I used were from a email conversation with Kessil about my light, tank size and needs. You could just message them about the A80's and they might give you a good starting point for levels.
I was actually surprised that you opted for such strenght in the pendant for this tank, which made me reconsider the planned investment of the A80's. However, hearing that you're quite satisfied this far with only 50% intensity calms me a bit (still to be evaluated by the plants of course). Thanks for sharing your experience, I'll try their CS for sure and see what they come back with.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I've been researching Kessil for a few days now and it seems they don't provide PAR readings, in some thread I read (think it was off an reef site) the customer service referred to the Kessil led not being metered in a good way due to their balance between the different colour tones - BS according to some forum members. Think the thread is just a quick google away, it was pasted in on this forum at some stage as well.
Yeah they told me this as well, something about blue lights not showing as much par as green etc. I have read many people are happy with Kessil lights which I one reason I went with this light

Quote:
I was actually surprised that you opted for such strength in the pendant for this tank, which made me reconsider the planned investment of the A80's. However, hearing that you're quite satisfied this far with only 50% intensity calms me a bit (still to be evaluated by the plants of course). Thanks for sharing your experience, I'll try their CS for sure and see what they come back with.
I mainly chose this one as it was compact and clean looking and could easily light my tank with one pendant. I also do like the slight shimmer effect on the tank scape. And that it is dimmable to 1 percent with orange and red light that can be mixed in. I don't see my light being a bottleneck but as my tank is only 6 days old and was very heavily planted from the start I can't speak to the growth just yet. Good luck on your lighting search and choice, there are a lot of good options out there for sure.

" border="0" />
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:54 AM
Algae Grower

Wonderful setup and scape.
I like the Kessil light and its rather small housing.
I used to have the A360 (the first version) in my reef tank and it was difficult to get good PAR measurements, mainly due to the shimmer effect I think.
They did grow coral, so I am sure they will do well with plants as well.
BeastlyFern likes this.

Just in for information... and planning, a lot of planning

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode