Spoonbeaks 23g tank *new pics 04/04/11* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Spoonbeaks 23g tank *new pics 04/04/11*

Hey all, I've lurked here for a while trying to absorb as much information as possible, recently put cfl's in the light fixture and its made a big difference.

I'm not quite sure what the names of the plants are because the local stores don't put their names up so if anyone feels inclined to ID some for me that would be awesome.

Equipment :

Hagen Glo 24 watt single fixture
Elite 75w heater
Aquaclear 50
Dosing with Excel
Substrate is pool filter sand

Fish are as follows:

6x rummynose
3x otto's
1x rubbernose pleco
1x zebra snail.

Plants :
2x java fern
1x anubias
1x amazon sword
1x crypt of some sort..
2x different ludwigas
1x bolbitis

Id's needed

Here are some pictures, tell me what you think.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General overview of tank setup, thinking of painting the back and sides because the cat jumps up on the tv stand and has been scratching it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right side of my tank showcasing the malaysian driftwood I bought at petsmart. The red plant on the right ( ID? ) has been growing like a weed since I bought it a couple weeks ago, I've noticed small roots growing from the stem and I was wondering if I could trim below the roots and plant the top half?

Left side showing the Zebra snail and the new piece of driftwood I got. $8 at petsmart.

Detailed shot of right side

Overview again.

Last edited by spoonbeak; 04-05-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I think you should move the driftwood so that they both point in different directions. Right now they are both pointing to the left. I think they'd also look better closer together. Groups of plants looks better also then just spread out. Good start.

Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
You tank looks quite nice for just starting out.

The grassy plant in the front right is Mondo Grass and is not a true aquatic; it can survive for some time underwater, but it won't grow and will eventually die away. You can keep it in there for a while and take it out before it rots and pollutes your tank, or you can take it out sooner and plant it as a houseplant or outside. I bought some too when I was first starting out, and when I found out it wouldn't survive I planted it in a pot, and it's still alive today.

The reddish one on the right in the back is some sort of stem plant, but I don't know which one; maybe a Ludwigia species?

The one that's growing on your right driftwood is java fern, and it's very hardy. It likes being attached to things, so that's a good place for it.

The one with smooth roundish green leaves under the right driftwood is Anubias. It also likes to be attached to driftwood or rocks, so you might consider tying it to one of your small rocks. If you leave it in the substrate, don't plant it all the way; the horizontal stem that the leaves grow out of needs to be above the surface of the sand.

The one in the middle of the back is an Amazon Sword and should do good where you have it. The one in the front of the left is some sort of Cryptocoryne species and will do good where you have it. These two plants both like being planted in the substrate like you have them, but make sure that the part where the leaves come out of the plant is right at surface level and not buried too deep (they look pretty good to me, but I can't see the sword).

Are there little grassy plants in front of the sword? I can't tell.

The plant in the back left corner looks to be Bolbitis, or African Water Fern. It also likes to grow attached to something, so it'd be happiest tied to a rock or wood. If you want to keep it in the substrate once again make sure the horizontal stem the leaves come from isn't buried. Also, this might not be Bolbitis; it could be another non-aquatic fern that will eventually die. I can't really tell for sure from the picture, but I wanted to let you know it's a possibility.

Joy to the fishes!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Algae Grower

The one on back left is a non aquatic plant, it's some kind of fern but doesn't last long just like the Mondo Grass. I made the same mistake when i first started and actually it wasn't my fault but the person who sold them as aquatic plants :S
I think it's a very neat start and i love the type of gravel you chose (color and size)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Same day update!

So I took that mondo grass back to the store, and threw out the fern that was in the left corner, it was ugly and dieing anyways.

bought a couple new plants, one more java fern and a ludwiga of some sort.
Also traded the mondo grass for whatever plant is in the left side in front of the driftwood ( damn store doesn't label ).

heres the new assortment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
general overview

Suggestions and comments greatly appreciated!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the id of the plant in the last picture above the snail?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I may be wrong but it looks like Bolbitis to me. If it is bolbitis take it out of the substrate or it will rot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #430

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you, do you think I should put it on a rock or one of the pieces of DW? im impartial to either.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It would do fine on either; it would be up to where you want it in your tank which you put it on.

Joy to the fishes!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Algae Grower

I really like the setup of your tank, location and all. Regarding the scape, I have to say I think it looks a bit too plain, not necessarily in a good way. Perhaps a carpet of some sort would help the overall look? - Best of luck, keep us posted.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've been looking all over for a carpeting plant but the lfs around here didnt have any in stock... I will just have to continue checking the stores until they have something.. I rescaped again, so I'll post pictures later today.

Thanks for the compliment
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I great resource is the Swap n Shop on this forum; you can buy plants directly from members here and get healthier and ususally much cheaper plants: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/

You can browse and see what's available, or once you've done some research to see what carpet would work best for you, you could post a WTB (Wanting to buy) thread.

Although that small grassy plant in the middle of your tank is most likely a carpet plant of some sort; maybe E. tenellus (Chain Sword)?

Joy to the fishes!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

that small grassy plant is the only plant that I cant get to grow... I'm thinking either its non-aquatic, or the other plants are stealing the nutrients.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank broke!

I was doing a regular cleaning and I decided to remove the top rim because the silicone had degraded and the humidity would cause it to leak down the front of the tank. As I was removing the rim the pressure broke the front top right corner of the glass off. Luckily enough the entire tank didn't break so I rushed to my LFS and purchased a rimless 20 gallon for $50.

Heres some updated pictures.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see I added some java moss, and a tall grassy plant. (id unknown). I also removed the 3 headlight tetras and the longfin danio as well as the see through fish and added 2 more rummynose's.

It was quite the scramble to try and get the fish into the new tank but I pulled it off, now I just need a nice light to go on top of the rimless tank, luckily the old light sits on top but it looks awful.
Any suggestions for a light to clip on top?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode