☆ African Dwarf Frog Tadpole Journey ☆ - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
☆ African Dwarf Frog Tadpole Journey ☆

Here I will be documenting my experience with ADF tadpoles as I have found it difficult to find much detailed information on raising ADF tadpoles, with the exception of the excellent write up by frogbreeder that I found on fishlore called 'ADF Tadpole Development.' It's been the main source of information for me thus far and has been sufficient to keep my tadpoles alive, although I wish there were more people who shared their full experience as well as it would have been helpful in my journey. Nonetheless, I hope that this journal will be helpful for others in the future if they happen to wake up to a bunch of frog eggs unexpectedly, like I did.

ADF tadpoles are said to have an 80% mortality rate, as they are very sensitive to water quality and temperature. So far, I have had about 60% in deaths, most occurring within the first two weeks of life.

Count:
Starting # of tadpoles: 110
Current # of tadpoles: 38

Last edited by waterblossom; 07-04-2019 at 05:44 AM. Reason: ☆
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DAY 1:

I woke up one morning to around 80 eggs, most attached to plants, which made it easy to remove them. For the rest, I transferred them with a turkey baster. About 2-3 days later, I found 30 more eggs so I added them to the batch since they were close enough in age.

I kept them in a small sterilite container (12"x7" shoebox size) with a 50W heater set to 78-80F and an airstone at the lowest setting. I changed anywhere from 30-100% of the water daily, based on how dirty the water was (such as when I tried new foods) though in small increments as to not shock the tadpoles from a large swing. I had a 5 gallon bucket filled with dechlorinated water heated to the same temp. so I could do water changes easily.

DAY 2:

The tadpoles began forming within the eggs, going from spherical to more elongated. It happened within a few hours, which was amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4669.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	883385  

Name:	IMG_4671.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	883403  

Last edited by waterblossom; 06-27-2019 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Adding
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DAY 4:

Tadpoles emerged from egg and were stuck to the bottom and sides of the container. Supposedly they still have their yolk sac attached, though they were too small for me to see anything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4688.jpg
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	883405  

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DAY 6:

Here is an overview of the tadpoles. According to the informational post by frogbreeder, adf tadpoles are supposed to absorb their yolk sac and become free swimming around day 5-7 as they feed on infusoria in the water. My tadpoles were a bit slower in becoming free swimming and weren't swimming around until day 9 or so.

I added a few plant clippings from my main tank for a bit of infusoria because I didn't have a culture going beforehand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4703.jpg
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	883409  

Last edited by waterblossom; 06-27-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: ☆
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DAY 9:

The tadpoles had become mostly free swimming, though sparingly. Most of the time they opted to lay still or float. They were able to swim short distances and I offered their first feeding of freshly hatched BBS because a few of them were swimming around, which meant they were ready for BBS. Even though it was only a few that I noticed swimming, I'm glad I started feeding because many of them ended up with round, orange bellies!

In the photo, many of the tadpoles are upside down because they often swallow air bubbles and can't right themselves until they release the bubble(s). The sides of the tadpole container was littered with thousands of tiny bubbles each day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4847.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	883415  

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DAY 12:

Here is the tadpoles on day 12, eating some BBS. I fed them about 3x a day with live BBS. You could watch them suck up the BBS with their tiny mouths like a vacuum and see their bellies get so full and orange! They looked more like orange blobs with two eyes and a tail

They were definitely actively swimming by this point. All but a few of them were now occupying the top of the water column and hunting rather than staying at the bottom lifelessly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4848.jpg
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	883417  

Last edited by waterblossom; 06-27-2019 at 08:48 PM. Reason: adding info
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DAY 15:

They were growing very quickly, some growing much faster than others. Their tails were growing thicker and longer, their bodies were becoming more elongated and their coloration was becoming increasingly orange! Probably because they were only really eating orange BBS lol.

In the photo, you can see the undulation of the tip of the tail as they swim around. It looks like they have eyes at the top of their head because of the black/shiny spots. It makes them look a bit scary, but if you look at them from under the water, you will be able to see their real face, which is adorable! I will be sure to post a photo of that somewhere in the thread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4849.jpg
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	883419  

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

FOOD DISCUSSION:

So far, freshly hatched BBS seemed to be the best food for them and were readily accepted by all so I prepared two hatcheries for multiple feedings during the day. It definitely got tedious and so I explored other types of foods to see if they would accept it so that I could potentially reduce BBS feedings and supplement with another food. But of course, it seems like my tadpoles are ridiculously picky.

Here is a few foods that I tried that they did not take. Some of them ventured to taste, but spit it out immediately lol:

1. Hikari Tropical First Bites (very fine powder, mixed in water first to avoid floating and causing tadpoles to ingest air bubbles, sunk too fast for tadpoles to eat)

2. Soaked/crushed zoomed frog&tadpole pellets (tadpoles spit it out)

3. Cut up frozen adult brine shrimp with spirulina powder (tadpoles spit it out)

4. Cut up frozen blood worms (tadpoles refused to accept in the beginning, but now that they are older, some of them take to it, as long as it is plump with blood)

5. Frozen baby brine shrimp (few tadpoles ate, but most were not interested and did not notice the tiny BBS particles. They are not as orange as the live ones)

6. Ocean Nutrition instant baby brine shrimp (tadpoles basically hate it and spit it out right away even though it is brightly orange colored like live BBS)

7. Live blackworms (cut up into small pieces, most of them accept it now as froglets but it's hard for them to recognize it as food because it looks so similar to their poop)

So for now, I have been hatching live BBS each day but they are warming up to frozen blood worms recently so I'm going to continue trying to feed them.

Last edited by waterblossom; 07-04-2019 at 05:47 AM. Reason: ☆
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DAY 21:

They started growing tiny leg stumps beneath their tails a couple days before, and they grow so fast! By day 20, I could see tiny feet on the leg stumps! No arm buds visible yet. I also added a frontal view of the face.

There are significantly less deaths now, but it is beginning to be clear that some tadpoles are definitely healthier than others as some of them are growing quickly and are strong swimmers and eaters, while others are either significantly stunted in growth or showing signs of deformities in leg or tail formation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4851.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	883421  

Name:	IMG_4850.jpeg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	883423  

Last edited by waterblossom; 06-27-2019 at 11:06 PM. Reason: ☆
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DAY 24:

Legs are lengthening at quite a speed each day. At this point, the legs don't move much and are just tagging along for the ride. They sway a bit, and sometimes twitch a little but there doesnt seem to be any intentional movement of the legs yet. You can see the beginning of some arm buds behind the eyes. So cute!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4805.jpg
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	883425  

Last edited by waterblossom; 06-27-2019 at 10:31 PM. Reason: ☆
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DAY 26:

More defined leg growth, and some of their arms have sprouted! Officially a froglet now? As you can see from the pictures, some tadpoles are still at earlier stages of development and don't have as defined legs or arms.

For the tadpoles who have had their legs for a couple days now and are growing strong, I see some leg kicking and intentional movement! Though, they dont seem to use their legs to swim yet. And though it is harder to see, you can spot some of the tadpoles with deformities, such as a bent tail or bent leg. Not sure how that will pan out once they become frogs.

In addition, I've lost one tadpole to a huge air bubble that got stuck inside its stomach and couldn't pass. Tadpole was upside down for a couple days and I believe the pressure of the bubble inside caused internal organs and such to start pushing outwards, causing a deformed body shape. Unfortunately, the tadpole passed. It's the only one I've lost so far that way as most others are able to burp up the bubbles eventually.

Also, from the second picture, you can see that it is getting quite crowded in the container and based on the information from frogbreeder, if there are too many tadpoles in a small space, there's a possibility that some could emit a chemical that could kill others. So I decided it was time to upgrade and I moved all of them to a much bigger container so they had more room to swim and explore and don't feel threatened by numbers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4809.jpg
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	883427  

Name:	IMG_4852.jpg
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	883429  

Last edited by waterblossom; 06-27-2019 at 11:18 PM. Reason: ☆
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DAY 28:

Here they are today in their new big container! The first picture shows a froglet with both arms and legs grown in, with some weight added on. Not sure if the plumpness is normal or not though, because some of the froglets legs/arms are much plumper than others. Can't tell if it is swelling or just extra skin?

However, you can also see two on the top that clearly have deformed legs. It's sad to see because I realize that when they become frogs, they will have difficulty coming up for air without functioning legs. Second pic is for a bit of size reference as to how tiny they are!

On a happier note, the froglets are actually using their arms and legs to make their way through the water. They paddle around with their limbs, sometimes with their tail helping them, sometimes not. They are eating much more food, so there is a lot less food wasted because I've been pretty much making the same amount of BBS this whole time lol. I have found that when they are hungry, they are more likely to attack their brothers and sisters and try to eat them. I have seen chasing and nipping when they have gone a while without food. Once they get their food though, some of them eat so much that they basically become round balls with legs and a tail. They sink to the bottom and can hardly move around! It's quite funny

They are also pooping way more than before, which is expected. The poop is bright red.

Haven't had a death in a while, except for the air bubble tad. I'm guessing I'll have a few more deaths though, because a few tadpoles look quite weak and are underdeveloped. Some of them even are deformed in the body shape as well. I would say that the number of froglets that seem healthy and without any visible deformities would be less than 20 out of the 43 I have now.

Interestingly enough, while most of the froglets are are colored orange, some of them are clear! You can see all their organs and stuff, though most of it is just lumped together. The clear ones seem to be more underdeveloped than the others though. We'll see how it goes and I'll keep updating as everyone grows!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4822.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	883431  

Name:	IMG_4845.jpg
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	883433  

Thelongsnail likes this.

Last edited by waterblossom; 06-27-2019 at 11:31 PM. Reason: ☆
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Very interesting journal. The froglets are very cute. Pls keep them coming!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtu2004 View Post
Very interesting journal. The froglets are very cute. Pls keep them coming!
Thank you!! I will continue to update as things progress
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DAY 30:

There is definitely something wrong with a majority of my froglets! Not only are many of them carrying deformities, but their limbs are very swollen. It's very sad to see, and its hard for them to swim around because their limbs are becoming immobile now. Some of the swelling has gotten much larger, some of it has gone away in certain frogs. Some of them even seem to have a bit of internal bleeding? Not sure what's going on there.

In the photo below, you can see a more or less normally developing froglet and next to it is the swollen one.

I'm hoping its not something I did to cause this issue. I'm going around to find some alternate food sources for them in case its some sort of nutrient deficiency. I've only been feeding them live BBS their entire lives because that's the only thing they would take so far.

I'm probably going to make a separate post about this so I can hear more people's thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4923.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	883505  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode