Dfeagley's 55 Gallon Discus community - The Planted Tank Forum
 98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dfeagley's 55 Gallon Discus community

I joined the hobby 2 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since.

My inspiration to start was when I went snorkeling in Guam for a military job. The Air Force has its perks haha! Being in the water and seeing the coral, starfish, sea urchins, clams, and all the colorful fish is completely different than seeing it on TV, and an experience I will never forget. I decided to try a difficult type of freshwater aquarium to test myself and gain experience. That is the reason I chose a high tech planted discus aquarium.

My tank is 55 gallons

Filtration:
2× Penn Plax Cascade 1000
I clean them both at least once a month. I'd like to get into the routine of doing a quick clean every water change like Greggz.

Substrate:
Mix of eco complete, florite, and black diamond blasting sand. If I were to start again, I would use a thin layer of peat moss, a layer of aquasoil or top soil, and a thick layer of BDBS with lots of osmocote+.

Lights:
9 hours a day
PAR: 200+ at substrate
2×18" SB reef freshwater
(both channels 50%)
1×T5HO
(giesemann super Flora)
1× Nicrew submersible LED (tywrapped to center brace to eliminate center shading)

CO2: yes
Reef octopus reactor outputs through a spray bar
Aquatek solenoid regulator
Milwaukee pH controller
Dwyer variable area flow meter

Fertilization:
Macros:74%, 13%, 13%
KNO3 and KH2PO4 for macros.
N 26ppm
P 6ppm

Micros(every other day)
1/2 custom micro mix, 1/2 CSM+B. Also added, potassium sorbate, ascorbic acid, Fe DTPA 11%, Humic acid, MgCl, and a very small amount of easy life profito.
Fe- 0.0875
Mn- 0.0424
Cu- 0.0022
Mg- 0.0188
Zn- 0.018
Mo- 0.0015
B- 0.0197
Cl- 0.0044
Ni- 0.000175
Additional 0.075 iron of "Fe DTPA 11%" dosed on macro day.
Half of a daily dose of "Easy-life Profito" and "seachem flourish advance" dosed after water change.
I know deeply analyzing ferts is frowned upon nowadays, but it's a part of the hobby that I have grown to enjoy. I agree CO2 concentration and distribution are the most important factors in a high light tank, but I can achieve good or bad results by altering the concentrations of nutrients. People spend a lot of time on their tanks, and I think it's important to be respectful, even if you don't agree with their approach.

Root Tabs:
I use lots of osmocote+. I haven't noticed significant benefits from any other root tab.

Hardness:
Gh:6.87
26ppm Ca from CaSO4
14ppm from MgSO4

Kh: 1.5
77% RO water, 23% tap

Live stock
Pigeon Blood Discus, Blue Diamond Discus, Royal Blue Discus.
Harlequin Rasboras, celestial pearl danios, cardinal tetras, Chinese algae eaters, German blue ram, nebula steal guppies, albino Cory cats, bandit Cory cats.
Hitch hiker tiny ramshore snails, which happen to be my favorite type of snail. Nerites had shell erosion problems. Malaysian trumpet snails are an eye sore, in my opinion. These tiny ramshores are so small, you really cannot see them, unless you look REALLY hard. I'll add some pictures of them later.

Other Equipment:
Hydor 300w inline heater
Chihiros doctor gen 3
2× wifi multi-strip timer outlets
On/off switch panel
Air pump that runs while lights are off and comes on several times during the day for 15 minute intervals
BRS dosing pump w/timer for micros
Yagote intake/skimmer

If I have learned anything from this hobby, it's that there is false information EVERYWHERE. The best people to get advice from are the ones who have the results you are trying to achieve. There are many hobbyist who enjoy helping others. Raj, Burr, and Greggz have helped me out tremendously. They are vastly knowledgeable, and never seemed bothered by my questions. Each of them go above and beyond to help.

Last edited by Dfeagley6; 06-27-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hey Dustin good to see your tank here.

Looks like you have got an awful lot going right.

Great mix of plants, and very well presented.

Have not seen a tank heavily planted like that with Discus. Really striking.

Nice work!
Econde, Dfeagley6 and Ken Keating1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
C'mon buddy, need that plant list! Cant be showing such a variety of beauties and not share what they are!
iceburg, Dfeagley6 and sittinglynx like this.

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Greggz and ipkiss! I'm at work right now, but I'll put together a plant list on my lunch break.
Greggz and ipkiss like this.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1.) Hygrophila Pinnatifida
2.) Hyptis Lorentziana
3.) Eriocaulon Vietnam
4.) Bacopa Colorata
5.) Eriocaulon Mang Yang
6.) Ludwigia Glandulosa
7.) Limnophila aromatica
8.) Bacopa Caroliniana
9.) Cryptocoryne Spirales Tiger
10.) Ludwigia Narrow Leaf
11.) Pogostemon Erectus
12.) Ludwigia Ovalis
13.) Lindernia Tamilnadensis (sp. India)
14.) Alternanthera Reineckii variegated
15.) Dwarf Hairgrass Belem
16.) Leopard Val
17.) Ludwigia White
18.) Persicaria sp. 'Sao Paulo'
19.) Pogostomon Kimberley
20.) Ludwigia sp. Mini super red
21.) Eriocaulon Quinquangulare
22.) Blyxa Japonica
23.) Syngonanthus Belem
24.) Hygrophila Lancea
25.) Ludwigia Pantanal
26.) Pogostemon Stellatus Dassen
27.) Alternanthera Ocipus
28.) Hydrocotyle Leucocephala
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Your selection has a great span of colors. And you have the scaping ability to bring it out in a very appealing way. A testament also to your sbreeflights and an extra tube of t5ho. You have pulled off the great fruit stand! Love it! I'm torn on getting a/an sbreeflight. May I ask what does it look like without the tube of superflora?

Thanks for that plant list. I mainly wanted confirmation for 17. Yours is the first tank I've noticed it so dramatically. But I think you may have expanded my want list too.
Dfeagley6 likes this.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Algae Grower

Very impressed with the way the tank is planted!! Beautiful scape!

YaBoiHunt
Dfeagley6 likes this.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:16 PM
Algae Grower

Absolutely stunning!
Dfeagley6 likes this.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Now I've got tank envy....
Dfeagley6 likes this.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Stunning tank (and discus)! You have a knack for scaping and creating depth. I would have bet $ that was a 75 and not a 55.
Dfeagley6 likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very beautiful tank-

What temperature do you have for the fish?
Dfeagley6 likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank to everyone for the kind words!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Your selection has a great span of colors. And you have the scaping ability to bring it out in a very appealing way. A testament also to your sbreeflights and an extra tube of t5ho. You have pulled off the great fruit stand! Love it! I'm torn on getting a/an sbreeflight. May I ask what does it look like without the tube of superflora?

Thanks for that plant list. I mainly wanted confirmation for 17. Yours is the first tank I've noticed it so dramatically. But I think you may have expanded my want list too.
Thank you!
The SBreef LED is a very good light, and the best on the market, in my opinion. I don't know of any other aquatic plant LED that can give you the PAR values that this light can. The downside to the light is the spread is awful. My lights are mounted 37" above the water surface, and still will leave the center and corners shaded. That bothered me SO bad, that I added the T5 a day or 2 after installing the SBreefs. That fixed the corners, but did not fix the shading from the center brace, so I then tywrapped the $10, 8" submersible led to the center brace. No more shading. My pictures are taken with the T5 on, A channel on, and B channel off. The B channel has more white, green, and yellowish diodes. It makes all the tall plants look white in pictures, but in person it still looks very good. I would recommend the SBreefs for anyone trying to push the limit with PAR values, but I would also recommend buying a single bulb sunblaster fixture off amazon to even out the spread. Raj does not have the problem with spread, but he runs 3 SBreefs over a 40 gallon, pushing 400 PAR! He's a magician lol I have slowly crept my way up to around 215-220, but I encounter problems going higher than that.

45 minute ramp up/ramp down schedule:
12:00pm- T5 on
12:30pm- A channel on
12:45pm- B channel on
8:15pm- B channel off
8:30pm- A channel off
9:00pm- T5 off
Greggz and ipkiss like this.

55 gallon Discus Community Tank Journal

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Very beautiful tank-

What temperature do you have for the fish?
Thank you Discusluv! I keep the temperature at 82F. The discus are happy and active at this temperature. I had a heater fail in the past, and the temperature dropped to 78F. The discus quickly let me know by huddling in the front corner. I recognized this as strange behavior because the royal blue and blue diamond don't normally like to hang out next to each other. They tolerate each other, but occasionally butt heads. Nothing serious. No damage is ever done, and the exchange never lasts more than 5 seconds. The pigeon blood does whatever she wants. She is very attentive to any activity in the room, and she will do a little "feed me" dance whenever I come near the tank haha! Whenever I'm inspecting the tank, she likes to be face-to-face with me to block my view. The discus were my first love before plants, so their well being will always be my first priority.
Greggz, iceburg and Discusluv like this.

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks to @Greggz for the document layout. I still have to fix a few things, but here is the first draft. I actually dose Macros 3x a week. 74% immediately after water change, 13%, 13%.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tank Parameters V3.0.pdf (194.6 KB, 18 views)
Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode