30 Gallon Shrimp Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
30 Gallon Shrimp Tank

I am setting up this journal to ( along with documenting my journey into shrimp-keeping), hopefully, help other newcomers to shrimp-keeping.

As its been said, when you are learning, there are no "stupid questions"- only learning opportunities; so, you will find in this journal many examples of "learning opportunities".

My preliminary questions began in the attached thread. I asked a whole lotta questions and gotta whole lotta help from the many wonderful members on this site. You may want to look back at this thread if you are new to shrimp and need some basic questions answered about how to start.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...ld-shrimp.html

30 gallon tank - nothing fancy/

low-tech w/ low-light plants ( the usual: anubias, java fern, crypts, juncus, flame moss)

Hardscape: primarily driftwood/ some rock
Substrate: Caribsea Crystal River
Filter: Fluvel 206

Water Parameters:

Ph- 7.4
TDS 115
GH 5/KH 3

Temperature: 72 degrees

Livestock:

20 Wild Form Neocaridina Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi), Tank-Bred
10 Zebra Babaulti Shrimp (Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"), Tank-Bred

4 Otocinclus

Please forgive the ugly background- that will be remedied shortly.

Shrimp comes tomorrow!!

Last edited by Discusluv; 06-26-2019 at 05:50 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:17 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
Looking forward to seeing how this plays out for you.

Only thing I can offer is to suggest that you get that GH up a bit before adding shrimp.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Looking forward to seeing how this plays out for you.

Only thing I can offer is to suggest that you get that GH up a bit before adding shrimp.
Thats right- the equilibrium. Ill do that now.

Edit: Added a tablespoon of equilibrium- should raise GH approximately 2 degrees.

Last edited by Discusluv; 06-26-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: edit

post #4 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
@richie.p is the shrimp man! Maybe he can be of some help!

YaBoiHunt
post #5 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

For acclimation of shrimp was planning on putting shrimp in large bowl and adding very small amounts of tank water over an hour period. Does this sound good or should I do it a different way?

post #6 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
For acclimation of shrimp was planning on putting shrimp in large bowl and adding very small amounts of tank water over an hour period. Does this sound good or should I do it a different way?
Dripping is the best and the most safest way to acclimate shrimps...

Gok
Discusluv likes this.
post #7 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:24 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
That'll work.

I always drop a bit of Prime into the water when I first open things up to be safe. Then I remove a bunch of the shipping water so there's more room in the container.

If you have a piece of airline tubing, you can use that and tie a loose knot to control flow to more of a drip. I use airline tubing and an airline flow valve to slowly drip over a couple hours. If you don't have a piece of tubing, just adding small amounts of water over an hour or two will be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.in View Post
Dripping is the best and the most safest way to acclimate shrimps...

Gok
Okay, sounds like my plan is good, thanks.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
That'll work.

I always drop a bit of Prime into the water when I first open things up to be safe. Then I remove a bunch of the shipping water so there's more room in the container.

If you have a piece of airline tubing, you can use that and tie a loose knot to control flow to more of a drip. I use airline tubing and an airline flow valve to slowly drip over a couple hours. If you don't have a piece of tubing, just adding small amounts of water over an hour or two will be just fine.

I do add the prime when acclimating fish on first opening bag- good idea- Ill do this as well with shrimp. I do have airline, but, I think Ill just do small amounts of water...

Just took a measurement with TDS meter--- TDS went from 115 to 135 with the addition of equilibrium.

post #9 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

in your other thread you said KH 3 GH 5? is it actually 5 3? or...

I will often acclimate shrimp for many hours :/ but yeah basically use a container and either slowly drip in water or small amounts added at a time is also okay. It can probably be done quicker but I don't
Turningdizzy likes this.
post #10 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:35 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post

I will often acclimate shrimp for many hours :/ but yeah basically use a container and either slowly drip in water or small amounts added at a time is also okay. It can probably be done quicker but I don't
Me too, I never rush with shrimps...

Gok
post #11 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Your right! I reverted the KH/GH in this thread.

You really have to watch me.
It is actually correct in other thread KH 3/GH is 5.

The shrimp are here!

post #12 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well GH 5 or 7 are both probably alright for those shrimp so not too terrible to have raised it a little.
post #13 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well GH 5 or 7 are both probably alright for those shrimp so not too terrible to have raised it a little.

Have plenty of time to do a water change if would be better to start them out lower.

They all appear to be active-alive- at this point. Some are really swimming around the bowl, others more subdued.

Thelongsnail likes this.

post #14 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's debatable, better to get it to what you intend to keep the tank at imo, someone else might feel stronger about 5 vs 7 GH than I do. 3 would be a bit low...
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.
post #15 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That's debatable, better to get it to what you intend to keep the tank at imo, someone else might feel stronger about 5 vs 7 GH than I do. 3 would be a bit low...
Ill wait for @somewhatshocked to give me advice. Given that I gave him the wrong numbers in this thread.

I just looked in the bowl and there are some shrimp in there that I didn't see at first--- that are barely visible. Very young babies.
Cinnamonamon likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode