30 Gallon Shrimp Tank - Page 9 - The Planted Tank Forum
 133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you want to count your shrimp babies more accurately try feeding them Jake's Growth shrimp feed. The green powder food.
EEK! They are crawling out of all the corners and onto the walls- LOL!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I am going to get the R/O going this week.
Recently have come to learn my water parameters are pretty erratic after sharing my water report-- so it is a necessity for all my fish/shrimp that I get it up and going soon.
I ordered this Brute garbage can and lid for now. For time being, Ill just use this for making R/O on the day need it-- and not for storing water. It is large enough in capacity that I can use it for water changes for all but my 180 gallon tank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can do my discus tank 2 x weekly with 40 gallon change each time.
And 1 x weekly my 2- 30 gallons and 9 gallon.

If this works out well, Ill then get another can for the 180 gallon.

Issues:

The Brute can needs to go outside. Ill need to haul water in with bucket through sliding glass door. Fine with smaller tanks. May just be too impractical for 180 gallon.
Water temperature control. I have heaters to heat water; but, how efficient will this be outside in summer/winter? Should I insulate somehow?
I dont have the ability/skill to make a fancy R/O unit storage space so is it okay to just put the different R/O membranes in a 5 gallon bucket while using/not using?
Being that I am- for the time being- just making water for same day use, I do not need a pump to circulate water correct? I can--- I have an air pump/air-stone.
@somewhatshocked @Blue Ridge Reef

post #123 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:22 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
You probably don't even need to circulate water. I just do because mine sits for a long time. If it's going to sit for days/weeks on end? Stick an airstone or pump on a timer to kick on occasionally.

About carrying water... could you get a cheap pump and a hose barb to attach to some tubing? That would allow you to pump water from your storage can to where ever you're mixing it. Since you're doing large changes, it may be a good idea to keep a spare can that you use just for mixing up water. Maybe keep a pump + hose in your mixing can to make changes go faster. That's what I do. It both mixes the mineral salts up with the water and I can lift the hose out of the can and into my tanks or other containers.

Keeping it outside in the heat will likely be your biggest problem. Do you have *any* space at all inside where you could stash a can? Or even a smaller 20gal Brute can? Closet? Hallway? Even temporarily? At least during the hotter months. Cooling water down is frustrating. You could stick a couple frozen gallon jugs of water into your storage container to cool things down, I suppose.

In the winter, it probably won't be a big deal because you likely won't be dealing with the kind of temperatures I think of when someone says "winter" = usually constantly below freezing. As long as you're above freezing or can keep the cans above freezing, they'll be fine. Water heats up quickly once it's inside.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #124 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So, actually, I need another can of size ( say, a 20 gallon) to mix the water/minerals in. [Im talking to you while thinking...]

So, I should get another 20 gallon slim brute can that can keep inside for mixed water. Ill, then, need a hose that will reach from the 44 gallon brute outside to the 20 gallon Brute can that keep inside. Can I use my Python hose?- that may reach- the python has an attachment on end of it to connect to water faucet in kitchen.
This one is on sale:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013CM0K2...dDbGljaz10cnVl

I need a pump with a hose barb to attach to python.
Would this one work?

https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Pump...ustrial&sr=1-3

post #125 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:30 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

A cheap $10-20 pump would do the trick since you won't need to lift water up any great height. Many of the cheap pumps come with different attachments that allow for the easy use of various hoses and tubing.

Python may work. Could even use a cheap water hose to transport water. I just think it's easier than carrying 5gal buckets. Really nice to have a bucket or large can right near your tank when mixing up water because it speeds things up.

When your mixing container isn't in use, it's great to be able to stash it out of the way. When I'm not using my 20gal Brute cans for mixing up water, I store all kinds of stuff in them - empty buckets, extra pumps, towels, siphons, all that kind of stuff. My can at home holds all of that stuff and it gets placed in a corner of my sunroom with a tablecloth over it. No one has a clue it's actually a trash can that comes out once a week for water changes.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #126 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
A cheap $10-20 pump would do the trick since you won't need to lift water up any great height. Many of the cheap pumps come with different attachments that allow for the easy use of various hoses and tubing.

Python may work. Could even use a cheap water hose to transport water. I just think it's easier than carrying 5gal buckets. Really nice to have a bucket or large can right near your tank when mixing up water because it speeds things up.

When your mixing container isn't in use, it's great to be able to stash it out of the way. When I'm not using my 20gal Brute cans for mixing up water, I store all kinds of stuff in them - empty buckets, extra pumps, towels, siphons, all that kind of stuff. My can at home holds all of that stuff and it gets placed in a corner of my sunroom with a tablecloth over it. No one has a clue it's actually a trash can that comes out once a week for water changes.
Okay, thanks for the assistance. This helps so much--- your the best.

Ill get a cheaper pump and some tubing.

And this trashcan for inside.

post #127 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:28 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Okay, thanks for the assistance. This helps so much--- your the best.

Ill get a cheaper pump and some tubing.

And this trashcan for inside.
Here is the pump I use for my water changes on my big tank...

Sure easier than lifting buckets. It works fantastically, and moves a lot of water. It has multiple sized barbs, and I just use bulk vinyl tubing from Lowes. I have a 20 gallon tote that I put in the bathtub to fill, and I didn't bother putting the suction cups that come with the pump on the pump. I just plop it into the tote, plug it in, and fill.
Discusluv likes this.
post #128 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by straha20 View Post
Here is the pump I use for my water changes...

Sure easier than lifting buckets. It works fantastically, and moves a lot of water. It has multiple sized barbs, and I just use bulk vinyl tubing from Lowes.
Thank you- thats a great price

post #129 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:55 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (12/100%)
I don't know Elk Grove's weather or your house layout/husband's opposition to the unit taking up home real estate/whatever the factors may be but... I think I would burn out on hauling 5 gallon buckets of water by hand really quickly. And even with a pump, there's a little more work involved the further from your aquariums to storage tanks are. After every water change I lift tubing over my head to gravity feed the water in my hose back into the storage tanks every time I'm done. And "stuff" grows in that tubing over time so it will need cleaned periodically -the less tubing to clean the better IMO. Your summers and winters are likely much more mild than my own but outdoor storage sounds like a less than ideal solution. Storms, weather extremes and such still happen. Not trying to poo-poo your idea, just thinking out loud. Nothing worse than going through the trouble of setting something complicated up and then deciding you need to change it. Water storage needn't take up a ton of space, my 270 gallons of storage would fit inside of a typical bedroom closet. I would endeavor to get the RO unit and water storage as close to each other and the aquariums they will be used on as is practical.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #130 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I don't know Elk Grove's weather or your house layout/husband's opposition to the unit taking up home real estate/whatever the factors may be but... I think I would burn out on hauling 5 gallon buckets of water by hand really quickly. And even with a pump, there's a little more work involved the further from your aquariums to storage tanks are. After every water change I lift tubing over my head to gravity feed the water in my hose back into the storage tanks every time I'm done. And "stuff" grows in that tubing over time so it will need cleaned periodically -the less tubing to clean the better IMO. Your summers and winters are likely much more mild than my own but outdoor storage sounds like a less than ideal solution. Storms, weather extremes and such still happen. Not trying to poo-poo your idea, just thinking out loud. Nothing worse than going through the trouble of setting something complicated up and then deciding you need to change it. Water storage needn't take up a ton of space, my 270 gallons of storage would fit inside of a typical bedroom closet. I would endeavor to get the RO unit and water storage as close to each other and the aquariums they will be used on as is practical.
I do not have a husband that shares my enthusiasm for fish/shrimp keeping so all changes I make come with heated negotiations.

I got a garbage can for outside ( will order a smaller container for mixing) and will haul buckets of R/O water for my shrimp tanks, 30 gallon breeder, and 60 gallon discus.
No, not ideal- but, all I can negotiate for now.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #131 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:28 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

If you don't have a dolly, snag one of these the next time you're near Harbor Freight.

Makes moving heavy buckets and cans a lot easier.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #132 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
If you don't have a dolly, snag one of these the next time you're near Harbor Freight.

Makes moving heavy buckets and cans a lot easier.
I actually have one of those already!

post #133 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Some thoughts and observations:

I have been experimenting with feeding: frequency and amount : for the shrimp - trying to gauge how much to feed them and how often.
I noticed that when I did that survey of questions for shrimp-keeping that many of those who responded warned about feeding the shrimp too much.
So, I wanted to really evaluate how much/often I should be feeding.

I haven't come to any conclusions yet; but I didn't feed any shrimp foods for 3 days. The only food was the small pinch of fish food daily that I feed the fish - which leaves little for the shrimp when all is said and done.
I also tried to evaluate where the shrimp collected over this time to see where they were getting supplemental nutrition. The neo's spend a great deal of their time among the moss, on pre-sponge, and along the back wall where there is a build-up of brown and green algae.

The baubalti, in contrast, spend much more time in the front of the tank at substrate level ( in and around corners where sand meets glass) and, in general, along the side of the tank of highest flow and oxygenation. Again, more at substrate-level. Which is interesting. They also appear to be more social with one another than the neo's. Congregating loosely in these spaces.
They also appear to hide ( especially very young and berried females) more under wood, in crevices of rocks, under and around larger leaves of plants ( as opposed to around moss) than the neo's. When sit very still, can watch a berried female come from under wood or large leafed plants to seek out food. These females are very watchful and will scurry quickly back under rock or plant when see motion in front of tank. As a rule, are not easily seen. They hide much more than the female, berried neo's.

When I drop food into glass petrie dish, the baubalti are the first ones to "come a'runnin". Maybe, because they are more in front and smell it faster?

Anyways- back to feeding: today I got a much bigger swarm of shrimp when dropped in food ( after 3 days not feeding). I think Ill continue to do this- feed every three days- and see how it goes.

Swarm:

Forgot what kind of Crypt this is, but it is so pretty.

Aponogeton of some sort? I think. The Orange otocinclus like to feed on the along leaves:

post #134 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

@somewhatshocked-- Doesnt it look like the shrimp that are in the feeding dish in last post are all or mostly baubalti?

post #135 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:22 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (12/100%)
Looks like C. lutea on the crypt, I'd never venture an ID on Aponogeton.

As for shrimp feeding, in my more sparsely populated tanks I feed twice weekly. So right on the schedule you have going. Just let the numbers and how fast they swarm food be your guide.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode