30 Gallon Shrimp Tank - Page 10 - The Planted Tank Forum
 133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:27 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
Look like babaulti to me. Exciting to see their numbers increase, isn't it?

I'm not sure I have a set feeding schedule for my shrimp tanks.. Some get fed every other day. Some twice in the same day when numbers are high. Some a couple times per week. Like @Blue Ridge Reef says, you have to let each tank be your guide.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Look like babaulti to me. Exciting to see their numbers increase, isn't it?

I'm not sure I have a set feeding schedule for my shrimp tanks.. Some get fed every other day. Some twice in the same day when numbers are high. Some a couple times per week. Like @Blue Ridge Reef says, you have to let each tank be your guide.

Yes!! Itís very exciting to see them increase!
Okay, thanks for insight on feeding. Iíll keep attempting to find that balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #138 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Looks like C. lutea on the crypt, I'd never venture an ID on Aponogeton.

As for shrimp feeding, in my more sparsely populated tanks I feed twice weekly. So right on the schedule you have going. Just let the numbers and how fast they swarm food be your guide.

Thanks!
I think you are right about the crypt identification.

post #139 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I am putting my GH/KH and TDS down here more to keep a journal of these numbers ( sorry, dont want to bore you to tears) for this tank as I try to adjust them to suit both the Babaulti and wild neo's.

TDS 150
KH 3
GH 4

There appears to be not as many neo's in here at this point as there are Babaulti. Which is odd, because I put 10 Babaulti and 30 wild neos in here to begin with. Im thinking it may be because the KH/GH has been too low for the neo's to thrive. I used the Salty Shrimp KH/GH remineralizer on this tank the last time I did a water change ( I thought I had used equilibrium, but I had made a note of it that I had used the Salty Shrimp KH/GH.)

In all my tanks the KH has been at 1-- very low and concerning, but I never have any problems with my fish because of it. But, shrimp, that could be a different story. So, the last time I added the Salty Shrimp I didn't know what I was doing- did it improperly. No big surprise there.

So, this time when I change my water I will make the water from my water change KH 3 and GH 6. Hopefully this will make the neo's rebound.

post #140 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It had only been 5 days, but did another water change so I could work on adjusting these parameters to better reflect what is good for both the neo's and Zebras. Now, after water change and using GH/KH remineralizer, the parameters are:

TDS 179
pH 7.2- 7.4 ( kinda in-between somewhere)
KH 3
GH 6

I think this is about perfect and what I should try to maintain isn't it @somewhatshocked ?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #141 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:12 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
I like those parameters for Neos & Babaulti. You could even go up to gH 7 over time and that'd be what I consider the sweet spot for my tanks.

But yep, looks good to me. Slowly but surely wins the race.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #142 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I like those parameters for Neos & Babaulti. You could even go up to gH 7 over time and that'd be what I consider the sweet spot for my tanks.

But yep, looks good to me. Slowly but surely wins the race.

Awesome thanks! Iíll edge that gh up slowly.

post #143 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Edged the GH to 7 over the last 10 or so days as recommended.
And, with the exception of feeding the fish daily a smidgen, haven't given it much attention. I must admit-- I didnt even directly feed the shrimp. However, the population appears to me to be growing- humming right along. Especially the c. babaulti.
The plants are all doing really well in here, if anything I need to thin out some wisteria, ambula, and duckweed taking over the top water level.

Here is a quick video:

Do you see neo's in here or just babaulti?
Desert Pupfish likes this.

post #144 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 01:07 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (12/100%)
Since no one has answered I'll share a semi/half-educated guess. Pretty sure I'm seeing Neos in that video. Take that with a grain of salt since I don't keep baubalti yet, so don't have first-hand experience spending hours staring at them! But I see a cull-grade red rili right of the center when the video starts as well as a yellowish one. And right about the one minute mark, to the lower left of the driftwood, there's a grayish one that looks very Neo to my eye. My degree of certainty is not enough that I'd bet real American dollars though.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #145 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Since no one has answered I'll share a semi/half-educated guess. Pretty sure I'm seeing Neos in that video. Take that with a grain of salt since I don't keep baubalti yet, so don't have first-hand experience spending hours staring at them! But I see a cull-grade red rili right of the center when the video starts as well as a yellowish one. And right about the one minute mark, to the lower left of the driftwood, there's a grayish one that looks very Neo to my eye. My degree of certainty is not enough that I'd bet real American dollars though.
Excellent, thank you! Im glad that they are surviving, then. 99% of them are cull grade, lol! But, this is my "go wild" tank.

post #146 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update!

This tank has pretty much been taken over by shrimp because I moved the emerald rasboras to another tank. Now, the only fish are two Orange Otocinclus. Been changing around 20% of water weekly. Feeding 2x weekly with OM Nom foods- Veggie or Kale, 1 x weekly with a spinach leaf from freezer, and 1 x weekly with a very small bit of either Shrimp Growth or Shrimp fit ( pencil-head size).

The tank gets one dose of Thrive ( Low-tech version) weekly and fertilized in substrate around plants with Jake's homemade fertilizer tabs. Have had excellent growth of plants with these tabs

PS The only thing that hasn't done well in this tank is the fissedens moss on branch. I took branch out and will try again with a different type of moss soon.

post #147 of 154 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I keep forgetting all the different foods available to me to feed the shrimp. I haven't fed any leaves for weeks!
Kind of got in a rut of feeding spinach, a bit of a powdered food, and veggie shrimp food and forgot all the other options available.
I put a catulpa leaf in all the tanks. The shrimp in the 30 gallon went bonkers and had a party.

Hey, quick question --- do you see that big pre-sponge that I have on my filter in last post?
Well, yesterday I did a water change and after assessing the water flow ( it was still very good) I decided not to take it out and rinse it so to not disturb all the shrimp on there. It is amazing but this sponge is a huge draw to the shrimp and they congregate here...
I imagine that it grows a lot of biofilm, has various critters, etc... in which they feed.
Anyways, should I clean this every week regardless of flow? Is that what you do?

post #148 of 154 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Shrimp love foam! I would encourage you to let them take care of it unless it gets clogged.

Cheers
Discusluv likes this.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #149 of 154 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Great looking tank DL, I like it!

Are you going to the SAS meeting this Sat? I'll be there, so if you're there it'd be fun to catch up with everything.

I wonder if @OVT will be there?
Discusluv likes this.

post #150 of 154 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Great looking tank DL, I like it!

Are you going to the SAS meeting this Sat? I'll be there, so if you're there it'd be fun to catch up with everything.

I wonder if @OVT will be there?
Thanks Ken
John and I will be there! Im really looking forward to this presentation on photography. I need all the help I can get.

I dont think Oleg will be there. I have sent him messages through the forum but have not heard anything from him. I hope all is well.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode