Planted 30 Long Spotted Congo Puffer Tank - Journal - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I gotta say I I am so glad I got this goby, he is awesome. What a beautiful fish... I almost didn't get him, Pete at CK talked me into getting him

Check out these pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
Next step is to get about as much anubias as I can get my hands on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
So I got the plants in today! This isn't all the plants but it is going to be the fast majority.

This is what $100 worth of Anubias looks like
Welcome back Sean! I got excited seeing the first quoted statement above, then was bummed reading the second showing the plants you got it. I just started to trim off a BUNCH of my Anubias Barteri Var. Nana Petite from my tank, probably have a good 30 or so, but going to keep trimming again tomorrow. But also just found your thread tonight while I'm playing catch up to several threads.
Grobbins48 likes this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:11 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
This tank is awesome. Any time someone does something simple like this, I'm wildly envious of the lack of maintenance. Can't wait to see how things progress.

Any thoughts on adding a tiny bit of moss or something like fissidens that doesn't get out-of-control?

Definitely check out the For Sale and Want To Buy sections for Anubias. I've seen a bunch listed the past few months. Even some of the larger coffeefolia variety.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
This tank is awesome. Any time someone does something simple like this, I'm wildly envious of the lack of maintenance. Can't wait to see how things progress.

Any thoughts on adding a tiny bit of moss or something like fissidens that doesn't get out-of-control?

Definitely check out the For Sale and Want To Buy sections for Anubias. I've seen a bunch listed the past few months. Even some of the larger coffeefolia variety.
Thanks for the kind words! It should be pretty low maintenance! Vacuum up some uneaten food here and there, 50% water change Week, and clean the glass. 20 minutes per week, ez pz

I tend to stay away from moss... I've had Java moss take over tanks before...
Blue Ridge Reef and Greggz like this.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:04 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I feel ya. I'm pretty sure I don't have a freshwater tank that's free of Java moss and wish that wasn't the case. But for what it's worth, fissidens and others grow much much more slowly (and more lush rather than stringy) than Java.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hrm well I think you've convinced me to make my 32.5 gal flex a congo biotope... looks like the crypts are coming out in favor of crinum calamistratum/natans, more anubias, bolbitis and uhhh maybe tiger lotus/water lily... and I've already got spotted congo puffers, maybe some upsidedown cats? african banded barbs? not sure if my puffers would like butterfly fish fins too much (might work, they don't seem to care at all about some guppy culls I threw in with them)... don't want to risk mixing my tetradon schoutedeni and teleogramma brichardi... maybe when the teleogramma aren't so tiny... maybe.

I think I gotta cheat for any form of algae control though, couple otos or something... shrimp and snails definitely will get murdered in short order... at least for me, my puffers are not so passive for shrimp sized inverts as your pic showed. Maybe 1/10 self cloning crawfish survives to a size they stop caring about but they definitely are all about trying to eat them when they're shrimp sized (I catch the bigger ones out so they don't get big enough to maybe blind one of my puffers)

I've got some christmas moss in there, pretty sure that's what it is anyhow I've lost track of which moss is which, but one that stays relatively compact/bushy as compared to java moss. Guess I gotta pull that out to be a biotope :/
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well here it is! The moment we have all been waiting for! Got him in last night and he is already eating!

post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:33 PM
Algae Grower

Awesome! He looks great!! I’m planning to set up a GSP tank eventually and this was a lot of help and very fun to watch!

YaBoiHunt
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboihunt View Post
Awesome! He looks great!! I’m planning to set up a GSP tank eventually and this was a lot of help and very fun to watch!

YaBoiHunt
Thank you! Don't go away now. There is still a lot I want to do to this tank. Lots more to see

Next addition will be a male triple red apisto! Very excited about him too
Greggz, Grobbins48 and Yaboihunt like this.

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Any updates?
chayos00 likes this.

My Tank Journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode