• 2 Post By 75johndeere
  • 1 Post By 75johndeere
  • 2 Post By 75johndeere
  • 1 Post By 75johndeere

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unfortunately my tank has been running for about 2 months now so this wont be from the beginning but close and I'll back fill with some pics Of my DIY projects and tank when it was first set up. The reason I set this tank up is I have an almost 2 year old who has special needs and is absolutely in love with fish. He will be having back and heart surgery within the next few months and it was my get well present to him. Plus hopefully it will keep a toddler calm and not bouncing off the walls while he is recovering from surgeries. He likes the fish the planted portion is more for me. I dont know much and I jumped in way to fast. I thought I understood how to cycle a tank I was wrong or at least I added too many fish to early because ammonia spiked again. I ended up with only 1 casualty from the whole ordeal and that was an otto that I'm pretty sure wasnt doing to hot from the store. But lesson learned I will never do that again.

As far as specs go
40 gallon breeder

36" Beamworks FSPEC led light

DIY canister filter (old pressure canner filled with lava rock and a couple layers of poly batting) powered by a small pond pump. At the current head height I am getting about 85 gph turnover. It also has a large sponge filter on the intake.

Soil consists of 20lbs eco complete and about 20 lbs of pool filter sand.

Manzanita wood and rock was collected locally here in Oregon.

Stocking list is

Fish
2 powder blue gourami
1 honey flame gourami
10 neon tetras
5 tbone rasboras
4 otto cats
7 panda Cory's

Plants (updated)
Java fern
Java fern narrow leaf
Brazilian Pennywort
Hygro polysperma
Pearlweed
Ambulia
Nymno "Taiwan"
Mayaca
Stargrass
Hornwort
Anubias nana
Dwarf hairgrass
Dwarf sword chains (I think)
Elodia
And some more that were not labeled the only plant I have lost so far is a corkscrew vallisneria that completely melted and rotted away. (If you know any more please let me know what they are)

I plan on using this journal as a log to track the progress of plant growth and welcome constructive criticism of the tank. I know I have messed up and will probably mess up more but I'm trying to learn. I look forward learning a ton from everyone

I'll update with more pics in the morning.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190527144510_1560665724958.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	882853
OVT and sittinglynx like this.

Last edited by 75johndeere; 06-22-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:35 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I like the open, light, and cheerful vibe coming from the tank, well done and something to be proud of.

The hair grass is not doing that great, but that is not uncommon. I would trim it down to ~1/4".
Send me a PM if you could use some extra plants, free, with no strings attached.

My best wishes.
Discusluv likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I realize I dont have too many photos of actually building most of the stuff the stand is a copy of Joey's (king of DIY on youtube). I used 2x4s that were repurposed from tearing down my neighbor's shed. I wrapped it in 1/4 ply and covered it in paint that the previous homeowner left in the shed. I knew the tank would be right next to a window so i spray painted the back, and half of each side. This is a bad idea never paint half of a side. I should have either left it all open or painted it all. Also spray paint sucks for this application. I would use a good roll-on latex based paint or something other than spray paint it took 3 cans to cover the back half of a 40 gallon to where you couldnt see light through it anymore.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_123915_1560693441388.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	882877

Last edited by 75johndeere; 06-22-2019 at 02:05 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The DIY canister is another project that I should have just went out and bought an fx4 for close to what i spent on something that is going to be a pain to service. I took an old pressure cooker and drilled 1 1/8" holes in the top. I then used bulkheads to adapt hoseing to both the pump internally and the tank externally. If I could redo it (which I will at somepoint) I would drill the return and power hole coming out the side not the top. The reason for this on the DIY is because I had no good way of keeping media off of the pump or return line. As it sits now I have to unscrew the bulkhead and leave it with the base when I take the lid off. This makes it a pain to change the poly batting. I have serviced it once so far and it wasnt horrible but it could be alot easier. The pump is something else that I would like to upgrade at some point. It's from home depots pond section. I could have bought a bigger better pump on Amazon for cheaper. Here is a photo of me testing it out and measuring the flow. The plants tumbling around in the tank are elodia(I think that's how its spelled) that a good friend gave me. He said it was a pond plant but grows fast and sucks up nitrates.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_095128_1560694522178.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	882879

Last edited by 75johndeere; 06-22-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok time to keep adding to my build. I have never aquascaped a tank in my life the only other tank i had was a bare bottom bass tank that I soon realized I didn't have time to maintain. I collected material local to me here in southern Oregon. I taped out the dimensions of the tank on my work bench and started playing. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190516_181836_1561209770181.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	883125 I liked this design and transferred it into the aquarium as well as I could. The other picture is of the day I set up the tank. USPS delayed my light delivery so it sat dark for 1.5 days.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190520_075441_1561209665756.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	883123
Phil Edwards likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is the tank a couple weeks after setting it up. I thought my cycle was complete. I was wrong or at least it couldn't handle the increase in bio load that I put in there. Luckily I stayed on top of waterchanges and didn't loose any fish to it. I did loose an oto but I think it was a swim Blatter issue. I have since lost a rasbora who I think might have jumped behind the tank because I never recovered a corpse. This is when I started actually researching what it takes to keep a planted aquarium. So far I have only lost 1 plant completely it was a single shoot of some spiral vallisneria.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190527_100057_1561210272525.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	883127
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would like to ask for some help from you guys in IDing a few "loose" plants my LFS had so I can start keeping track of all of names and what is and isnt working. The first is some kind of grass Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_111336_1561210862108.jpg
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	883129 it is very rough feeling and hasnt really done anything since adding it except grow some impressive roots.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_110033_1561211341224.jpg
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	883131
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This one I'm pretty sure is ludwigia repens. It has grown like crazy and already been split in half and replanted twice. Its starting to fill in that corner really nice.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_111316_1561211477901.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	883133
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This one is also doing well I. Guessing it's some sort of cryptocorn mabey parva? Not sure it had doubled in size and I split it in half last night while planting additional plants.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_111323_1561211862526.jpg
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	883135
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last of the mystery plants this I have no clue I'm sure its probably common but I can seem to figure it outClick image for larger version

Name:	20190614_111340_1561212026497.jpg
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	883137
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Other plants in the aquarium at that time are some anubias, Dwarf hairgrass (not doing great but we will see if it does anything), and dwarf chain swords(doesn't seem to be growing much). That catches everyone up to when I joined TPT. Playing with and watching the aquarium has been my stress relief during this medical journey with my son. Believe me my wife is already sick of the tank. She thinks I love it more than her lol. Anyways I guess what I am trying to say even though I haven't participated alot on the forum I have been reading a ton and learning. It has been a great experience so far and I wanted to especially say thank you to Oleg, OVT on TPT, after reading the beginning of our tank journal we started PMing while we were in Portland for my son's spine surgery he generously sent me a package of plants that filled the tank. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190621_220009_1561213334317.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	883141

I had never even heard of half of these plants but they all arrived looking great and I cant wait for the light to turn on in a couple hrs to check out how they faired their first night. And just so you know my Sons surgery went great he is already crawling around and impossible to keep still 4 days post operation. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_072933_1561213805913.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	883143
Discusluv and Desert Pupfish like this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75johndeere View Post
Other plants in the aquarium at that time are some anubias, Dwarf hairgrass (not doing great but we will see if it does anything), and dwarf chain swords(doesn't seem to be growing much). That catches everyone up to when I joined TPT. Playing with and watching the aquarium has been my stress relief during this medical journey with my son. Believe me my wife is already sick of the tank. She thinks I love it more than her lol. Anyways I guess what I am trying to say even though I haven't participated alot on the forum I have been reading a ton and learning. It has been a great experience so far and I wanted to especially say thank you to Oleg, OVT on TPT, after reading the beginning of our tank journal we started PMing while we were in Portland for my son's spine surgery he generously sent me a package of plants that filled the tank. Attachment 883141

I had never even heard of half of these plants but they all arrived looking great and I cant wait for the light to turn on in a couple hrs to check out how they faired their first night. And just so you know my Sons surgery went great he is already crawling around and impossible to keep still 4 days post operation. Attachment 883143
@OVT is one of the good guys- generous and kind. We all feel pretty lucky to have him here.

Its amazing how relaxing an aquarium can be. I find the routine of care keeps me grounded- so much so that it has been the most consistent thing Ive done in my life. 3 decades of fish-keeping and its still keeping me interested.

What a beautiful and brave son you have. I hope you and he find much enjoyment out of the hobby for many years to come together.

I am really impressed that this is your first tank and aquascape. You did a phenomenal job.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75johndeere View Post
Other plants in the aquarium at that time are some anubias, Dwarf hairgrass (not doing great but we will see if it does anything), and dwarf chain swords(doesn't seem to be growing much). That catches everyone up to when I joined TPT. Playing with and watching the aquarium has been my stress relief during this medical journey with my son. Believe me my wife is already sick of the tank. She thinks I love it more than her lol. Anyways I guess what I am trying to say even though I haven't participated alot on the forum I have been reading a ton and learning. It has been a great experience so far and I wanted to especially say thank you to Oleg, OVT on TPT, after reading the beginning of our tank journal we started PMing while we were in Portland for my son's spine surgery he generously sent me a package of plants that filled the tank. Attachment 883141

I had never even heard of half of these plants but they all arrived looking great and I cant wait for the light to turn on in a couple hrs to check out how they faired their first night. And just so you know my Sons surgery went great he is already crawling around and impossible to keep still 4 days post operation. Attachment 883143
@OVT is one of the good guys- generous and kind. We all feel pretty lucky to have him here.

Its amazing how relaxing an aquarium can be. I find the routine of care keeps me grounded- so much so that it has been the most consistent thing Ive done in my life. 3 decades of fish-keeping and its still keeping me interested.

What a beautiful and brave son you have. I hope you and he find much enjoyment out of the hobby for many years to come together. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:-)</a>

I am really impressed that this is your first tank and aquascape. You did a phenomenal job.

Thank you for the compliments. I will probably have to move stuff around after I figure out how it grows I'm trying to keep the front of the tank open so Orion can see the fish swim around easily.
Discusluv likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I have a question for all who replant clippings. I planted a ton of clippings I was given on the 21st of June. They are all doing well but how do you all keep stems planted or how long should it take them to root? I have two mystery snails that are running around like little bulldozers uprooting all the Mayaca, stargrass, and Ambulia.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode