Dual Deep Blue 5B Pico Tanks - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Streetwise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Dual Deep Blue 5B Pico Tanks

My main tank is a 20 gallon Walstad tank (organic soil with sand cap), that is about nine months old. As I have worked thru the learning curve on that aquarium, I have saved most of the plants that I have pulled, and kept them alive in a couple of filtered buckets on my windowsill. This includes Java Fern, Amazon Sword, Bacopa—basically all the plants I got in plastic tubes.

Today I decided to turn my rescue buckets into rescue aquariums. I went and bought a pair of Deep Blue 5B tanks, plus a couple of bags of Fluval Stratum. While I love sand over soil, I wanted to try something where I could replant much more frequently, since I hope to give away Walstad jars as soon as I find the right jar (with lid for travel).

I should have known from the packaging, but I was surprised to find that each of them came with 4 glass dividers. I didn't use any at first, but then as I tried to find which of my filters would fit in the tank, I kept having issues with the suction cups, which I never had on my rimless tank. I installed one divider and used it to mount my filter, so now I can slide the filter out or just the glass up to squeeze out my sponge.

This created a separate chamber in each tank. There is still enough minimal water movement to filter that section. What should I do with those chambers? Hospital, fry, sump, experiments?

I should add that I quickly realized that these tanks are way too small to host more than the small scraps from my main tank, so I think I am just going to give all those tube plants away that can't fit.

I am also going to keep going with my terrestrial moss rock in one of them, since it is still alive after about two months.

Now I think I should breed stuff in them, shrimp in one, and I will take suggestions for the other!

Cheers

Last edited by Streetwise; 06-30-2019 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Moss rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Removed

Last edited by Streetwise; 07-18-2019 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Removed
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Removed

Last edited by Streetwise; 07-18-2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Removed

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Removed

Last edited by Streetwise; 07-18-2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Removed
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sunset Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDunoJSQQFm066tBj%lZgQ.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	882919  

Name:	zicFdFyXQ9qpukmxBpPmZg.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	882921  

Phil Edwards likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Another day. Sorry for the water stains and such.

I also think I finally caught my cat watching my main tank. He drinks out of my filter bucket but usually ignores the tanks.

On a cat tangent, my kitty Valcour is a former stray, so he doesn't trust standing water. When I first took him in, I had to leave the sink running all the time. I have a cycling water thing in the kitchen, but he actually now likes my new water filter bucket where I run an internal filter. I'm thinking of replacing his feeder thing because my bucket and filter is better and easier to clean!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_16be.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	882977  

Last edited by Streetwise; 06-30-2019 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Photos
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update:

I added some plants, and updated my internal sump so that I could use the Fluval Nano without cutting my rim. I also added a tiny heater, because of the window proximity.

I siphoned out a bunch of this Fluval substrate to get it to a lower average level than my foam pre-filter block. I also added a U-tube so shrimp could get in and out of the sump without trying to squeeze past the glass divider. I will probably get the divider drilled for a one-inch hole, since I have a bunch of spares.

I am just a few weeks into using this Fluval Stratum. I appreciate that it has let me change my tank configuration easily, but it is so strange compared to the soil/sand layering in my main tank, which I love. My Fluval tongs are almost totally useless planting into these little spheres. I have to push a plant down and then scatter spheres over the roots.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_16e2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	883277  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_16e0.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	883279  

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got sick of trying to keep things rooted in the Fluval Stratum. I threw most of my plants into my 20 gallon, along with all my shrimp. It now looks like a crazy jungle with all the floating plants and moss.

I put a few plants and some moss in my pico sumps, and then drained all the Stratum. I may use it for aquaponics, but it just doesn't work for my style of tank.

I ran my spare BF5 filters overnight, cleaned up the leftover substrate, and then filled with organic potting soil, sorted out floaters, did a couple of water changes, capped with black sand, and ran a couple more water changes. Now my regular filters are running, and I should be able to plant tomorrow.

I may go back and delete some of the old prep photos from this thread.

Cheers
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here they are after about ten days with soil, sand, and my tiny un-sealed sump. All that foam is a pre-filter for my MF-10, and I had to use the partition to fit my light. I just added the gravel to slow the flow of sand and mulm into my sump, like you would do to slow erosion in a ditch. I'm also trying a little trickle of CO2, about one bubble every two seconds. I think I am almost ready to add shrimp back to the tanks.

Cheers,

Jason

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_16fe.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	883897  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_16f9.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	883899  

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:06 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Ha! And people wonder how shrimp get into filters, climb over barriers and generally escape.

Great video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode