From Shore to Summit, my 21 Long (UNS 90L) - The Planted Tank Forum
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
From Shore to Summit, my 21 Long (UNS 90L)

Hello, everyone. This is my second tank journal. I spent about a year trying to go high tech (Journal) only to realize that the salt from my water softener was killing my plants. I'm going to use re-mineralized RODI water going forward. With that said, I think that I learned a lot from the process, and I'm undertaking a more ambitious tank.

I'm going to use a UNS 90L, which is a 21-gallon long tank. I'm calling the concept "Shore to Summit" because I plan to have a sand bed, craggy shoreline, field of dwarf hair grass, then large rocks and a big section of stems. I plan to use Ohko dragon stone for all of the rock. I was inspired by this rock formation from ADA:

I plan to replicate something similar to separate the stems from the dwarf hair grass. I was lucky enough to have the tank and light (Twinstar 900S) arrive today, so I'll have a good look at the tank and make a template to go rock shopping on Father's Day!

I hope that you'll join me on my journey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 11:18 PM
Algae Grower

Hype!

AcidGambit likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I went to the LFS today to pick out hardscape - Happy Father's Day to me! I'm lucky in that one of my LFS has a whole dumpster full of dragon stone:

So I managed to put this together:

I really like the rock feature on the left. It will separate the stems (left 1/3rd of tank) from the dwarf hair grass in the middle. In my mind, it's near final, other than maybe adding a small rock on it's left side to transition from the big stone to the substrate.

The rock feature on the right needs some work. It will separate the dwarf hair grass from the sand. I may end up playing it by ear after I dump substrate in. I also got this big, sweet-looking rock, which I can break up to make the craggy shoreline.

Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's been a while; unfortunately, life got in the way. I also think that I was procrastinating with breaking down the old tank and dealing with all of the muck and gunk. I finally did it this week and I'm almost done with my RODI water setup. Today I moved the tank to the stand and I wanted to thank everyone for weighing in and recommending that I go with the long tank. It fits perfectly in the pictures that I already had hanging.

cheri900, DaveKS and Bon MotMot like this.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I leak-tested the tank this weekend, and it looks like we're good to go. The next step is to install white privacy film on the back of the tank like I did with my cube tank.

I also finished my water mixing/changing station:

More details here.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Finally, I'm making some progress. Tonight I began building the rock structure that will divide the middle "plain" section from the left stem section. This is the left rock structure that I put together at my LFS. I modified it a bit by rotating the main rock to show a more detailed side, as opposed to having that side fact the top of the tank:

This is a 45-degree rotation to toward the middle of the tank, showing the cave that I built into the design, which should provide a comfy home for cave breeders (I'm thinking of getting a pair of apistos).

Finally, this is the opposite side of the structure, which is kind of empty.

I'm thinking of adding some rock to flesh it out and close off the other end of the cave, but at the same time, it faces the back of the tank, so no one will see it. Let me know what you think about adding more rock.

For those interested, I used the cigarette filter and crazy glue technique to glue the rocks together. I will go back at some point and glue crushed rocks over the exposed filters to hide them. It only took about 10-15 filters to firmly hold the structure together.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A pair of apistos may root up your hairgrass. I am excited to see how this works!

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
Old 08-11-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

More progress:

I will be adding more substrate at the back of the tank to slope up, as well as sloping all areas from the front to back. The next step, before that, will be to create the "rocky shoreline" to separate the sand from the dirt.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
I love your water changing/mixing station! very well done. What will your water parameters be after you dose the RODI?

[
Old 08-11-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Right now I'm remineralizing with CaS04.2H20 to 25ppm and MgSO4.7H2O to 10 ppm, which yields a TDS slightly over 100. This is based on some of the recommendations that I've received on this board. I am not adding any kH in view of my substrate (Tropica). I'm hoping that the plants will really like the soft water.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:25 PM
Algae Grower

Really nice start! I love your scape and your RODI setup. I used to have a saltwater reef tank so RODI is a must. I am going to go ahead and use RODI for my future planted tank. I am just going to use Seachem Equilibrium to replenish the minerals that are needed for plants. I really need to work on my RODI setup. I would love something like you have. Having that setup makes water changes so much easier. What kind of fish or inverts are you thinking for this setup?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGK View Post
Really nice start! I love your scape and your RODI setup. I used to have a saltwater reef tank so RODI is a must. I am going to go ahead and use RODI for my future planted tank. I am just going to use Seachem Equilibrium to replenish the minerals that are needed for plants. I really need to work on my RODI setup. I would love something like you have. Having that setup makes water changes so much easier. What kind of fish or inverts are you thinking for this setup?
Thank you! I'm thinking of green neon tetras as my schooling fish. From there, I would like to have 6x ottos and 6x pygmy corydoras, and a pair of apistogramma caucatoides. I've also considered stiphodon gobies instead of the ottos.

I will definitely have amano shrimp in the mix. I'm not sure whether I will have nerites again if I am going to have so many algae eaters in the tank. I am also going to try establishing colonies of tangerine tiger shrimp and black rilis before I add fish, with the understanding that they may turn into expensive fish food
Old 08-14-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Plumbing is now complete:

I ended up having to go with the nano JARDLI inflow because the regular size would be too deep for this tank (12" high). I would have liked to have the intake slits closer to the substrate, but I guess I'm stuck. The height restriction also ruled out using the JARDLI inflow with built in skimmer, which is why I went with the separate skimmer unit you see in the pictures.

Finally, I can't wait to have this thing planted and to play with the different color lights at night time:
Old 08-16-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Final hardscape is in place!

I'm going to post a planting list soon so that I can get your feedback/advice.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice! Do have a general idea yet of what you are stocking?

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in