From Shore to Summit, my 21 Long (UNS 90L) - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you for all of the recommendations. I have two ottos right now, but maybe I'll add a few more. And I will add an SAE to the list. I've also bumped the light down two notches on the dimmer, so we'll see where that takes me.

I've also added five more amanos, though they don't seem to be doing much yet

The red tiger lotus bulbs are really starting to take off:

I also added 18 Gertrude's Spotted Blue Eye Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil Gertrudae) after waiting a long time for them to come in:

There's a lot of activity going on in the tank now that it is close to fully stocked:

My Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Algae is definitely going away on the rocks with the lowered light intensity and some spot treatments of Excel on the biggest BBA clumps.

My Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Not too much to update this week, other than the tank continues to clean up. The Red Tiger Lotus bulbs really added some good texture and hiding places. I'm glad that I picked them up, and I may use a bulb when I re-scape one of my pico tanks:

My Tank Journal:

post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 07:10 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Just catching up on your journal so apologies if I ask things you've already answered. Guessing your dragon stone didn't prove to raise KH too much? That stuff really seems to vary.

Those blue eyes look great! I had a group of them years back, they didn't prove to be a long lived species but sure spawned a lot. Wishing now I'd burned the calories to raise fry and still had some. Are you getting any orange Neo shrimp fry with all those fish in there?

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 08:24 PM
Planted Member

Subscribed to the thread. Seems you had your fair share of algae explosion but hopefully that's all in the rear-view mirror now. Is that a leopard danio in the last pic?

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature
post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Just catching up on your journal so apologies if I ask things you've already answered. Guessing your dragon stone didn't prove to raise KH too much? That stuff really seems to vary.

Those blue eyes look great! I had a group of them years back, they didn't prove to be a long lived species but sure spawned a lot. Wishing now I'd burned the calories to raise fry and still had some. Are you getting any orange Neo shrimp fry with all those fish in there?
It seems that I had a lot of different issues in the beginning, so the shrimp didn't make it. The dragon stone doesn't seem to have any effect on the kH. I think it's a clay, so it doesn't leach anything out.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
Subscribed to the thread. Seems you had your fair share of algae explosion but hopefully that's all in the rear-view mirror now. Is that a leopard danio in the last pic?
I have a pretty good handle on the algae, but I haven't always been consistent with my maintenance. For example, I have a bunch of algae now because I've let certain things lapse, waiting to get some new hardware for my intakes/outtakes. And I've also been really busy with a new job. But I have a plan in place, so things should be good going forward.
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

My Tank Journal:
post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

As I alluded to earlier, I've been neglecting the tank. I've also been more focused on upgrading my two nano tanks from UNS 20C to 25C. The current state of this tank is... gross!

Luckily, the inhabitants don't tend to mind. To the contrary, the Gertrude's Spotted Blue Eye Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil Gertrudae) are at "it" all day long. Later tonight I'm going to do a lot of maintenance, and modify the hardscape with an eye on increasing the ability to keep this tank clean. Stay posted!
Ben Belton likes this.

My Tank Journal:
post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So last night I cleaned my filter, replaced the tubing, and setup the new Neo Aquario extended special (enough names, already?) diffusor. I was using filter floss in the filter as the last stage, but I've decided to remove it for now so that I get more flow and I think that I will probably be collecting a lot of junk in the filter as the algae dies out, so I do not want it to clog prematurely. I've also been treating the BBA with Excel and H2O2. My plan is to continue to do so on a daily basis and to go with two water changes per week for the next few weeks. The rocks in the left are just there temporarily while I figure out how I want to place them. The idea is to have S Repens near the glass, and to use the rocks to separate them from some stems that I have on order.

The glass was so nasty that it looked like I had gotten everything off last night, but I'll need to take another pass tonight. The new diffusor is really great. It includes a black string that allows you to bend the diffusor without damaging it by applying heat. So I was able to make a perfect fit for my tank.

For those interested, this is my nano tank that was keeping me occupied. I have a few dwarf crayfish on the way for it!

My Tank Journal:
post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Step two--I rearranged the rocks and added some stems. The S. Repens tissue culture didn't look too hot, but I'm hoping that it pulls through.

My Tank Journal:
post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 03:35 AM
Algae Grower

Try adding 1 dozen of Bristlenose plecos... may be Super red colors. You can find in aquabid, they will clean it for you..
post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Another week and the tank is looking better, with mixed results. BBA continues to die off on rocks, but I've seen a bit more of it in the dwarf hairgrass. I'm really liking the stem growth and how it obscures my skimmer. It will be a shame to cut and replant them. I'm also excited that S. Repens seems to be responding well, especially after looking terrible in the culture cup. I think that I am at the point with at least one is tall enough to trim and replant.

My Tank Journal:
post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think I'm going to throw in the towel. Algae has come back and the stems that were growing fine have started curling up on themselves. Simply put, I've been trying for a high-tech tank for close to two years and for whatever reason, it hasn't clicked with me, even despite a lot of the great input from the board. I get a lot of joy out of my two low-tech pico tanks, but this tank and the tank before it were constant sources of frustration. This is especially true since I started working from home 2.5 months ago, where I constantly see the tank.

I think I am going to strip the tank, drill an overflow and install a sump, and make it into an African cichlid tank. Thank you everyone.

My Tank Journal:
post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 07:30 PM
Algae Grower

Iím sorry to hear that - itís a unique looking tank. But can certainly understand the frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 08:54 PM

Coincidentally I actually have this same setup but am using aquasoil instead of tropica. This was a quarantine project so its not done yet, but if you keep this running and mine works out I can let you know what I did. I've kept quite a few planted tanks before so I don't anticipate there being any major issues. Right now I'm just waiting for the remaining supplies to come.

Edit: I also wouldn't make this an african cichlid tank. You are going to have a lot of territory issues.
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc91 View Post
Coincidentally I actually have this same setup but am using aquasoil instead of tropica. This was a quarantine project so its not done yet, but if you keep this running and mine works out I can let you know what I did. I've kept quite a few planted tanks before so I don't anticipate there being any major issues. Right now I'm just waiting for the remaining supplies to come.

Edit: I also wouldn't make this an african cichlid tank. You are going to have a lot of territory issues.
I'm going to go with tiny shell dwellers, so it shouldn't be an issue. I'm not trying to put any of the larger cichlids in.

My Tank Journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode