• 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Immortal1
  • 1 Post By Phil Edwards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nanoo nano

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
EVERYONE needs a nano tank in their life.

Don't argue with me

Pro's of a nano: Yes.

Con's of a nano: There isn't a single one.

Impatiently following along....
Phil Edwards and Discusluv like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I don't think anyone is as impatient to get going as the tank itself. The poor thing's been sitting unused for quite some time. I was going to wait even longer, but Karen Randall told me to set it up, and who am I to argue? I've argued with her over a number of things in the past with poor results so I didn't even try this time. Besides, what's the best way to get rid of extra aquarium stuff? Get all the tanks set up and find homes for the leftovers.
Immortal1 and Quagulator like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

6.11.19-

With the plants arriving in the next couple of days I thought it time to post the specs and pictures of the set up process.

Full disclosure: I wanted to try a mix of substrate materials for growing plants on my porch this season so I called up my friend at Brightwell and he ended up sending waaaay more than I needed so I used what I got sent. It's not sponsored by any company and I'm not endorsing any of the brands here, but folks do like to know what others are using (and tend to skim over that part in initial set up posts) so I figured I'd include pictures rather than having to restate things down the line.

A big reason for using this stuff rather than finding other sources is to get all the tanks I plan on keeping in the future put together so I know what's left over and can get rid of. It's time for another purge of the storage closet.

Tank: Cobalt Aquatics C-Vue All-in-One. It's an old 18 gallon prototype I grabbed when cleaning out the storage room which would eventually become my office. Production models start at 15 gallons. Actual living volume in this tank is approx. 8 gallons. After draining to plant I found out the volume is closer to 6 gallons of actual water in the living space.

Filtration: Two filter socks; one housing biomedia and the other to eventually house the organic adsorbing resin (part of a product line I developed, woo!)

Lights: Two 7 watt, 8000K CRI, Aquael LEDDY Smart plant lights. They're the old diode bar model rather than the current square arrangement that both Cobalt and Aquael sell. I've used them on a few tanks and like the light they provide, but the clip mechanism that hold it onto the (rimless only) tank is fairly weak.

Heater: 25 watt Neo-Therm

Substrate base: Microbacter Lattice (small particle approx. 3mm-15mm) base with DeltaGH+ GH booster, Osmocote Plus, and FlorinBase (powder and small particle versions mixed) amendment with some FlorinBacter sprinkled on top just because. The pumice can be had from Hessponics and I'm 99% sure the laterite products are different mesh grades of red art clay I used for my substrate study. They don't look like the rusty/iron rich laterite I used to get back in the day. Even so, I think the material itself has benefits so I figured I'd use it.

Substrate: FlorinVolcanit Rio Escuro. Once it was laid down I gave it a good spray with FaStart (a source of C, N, and P for fishless cycling. Another product I came up with; sorry, I can't tell you what the actual ingredients are as they're not stated on the label.) for shiggles to try to simulate the initial richness of Amazonia.

Wood: Spiderwood that I've been holding onto for eventual use in this tank (if it didn't get used for a reef instead of planted).

Rock: Not 100% sure as it came in with the wrong label. I'm pretty sure it's Seiryu though. Since this tank's not going to get CO2 and I had smaller bits laying around I figured why not use it?

Plants: Not sure yet, they haven't arrived. I may toss the Java Fern that's currently in the 80 gallon in there at some point if it's not needed for aquascaping contrast, etc.

Fish: Nothing set in stone yet. An Otto, Amano Shrimp, and a couple Nerites may get moved in there if needed. The Sparkling Gouramis may get moved over too once they get larger, we'll see. This is also a good opportunity to let the Mrs. pick out fish, which may trump all other options.

The tank's been running for 5 days without lights while the wood soaks and to see what happens when a very rich substrate is allowed to do its thing before adding plants and light. Again, for no other reason than shiggles.

From the viewing angle-

Thanks for watching,
Phil
vvDO, burr740, Immortal1 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Phil Edwards; 06-16-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: .
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Some plants came in yesterday, 6.14. Sadly, due to a mishap with the glue, I may have destroyed a big bunch of beautiful buces. They got tossed in the 80 gallon in hopes they'll recover eventually. While draining the tank to do the planting the majority of the water filled a 5 gallon jug, so I'm guessing there's only 6, maybe 7, gallons of water in the living space. It's good to know, but isn't a problem as the plan is to move a group of Sparkling Gouramis from the 80 into here once they're big enough to not get through the overflow strainers. At the moment a single Otto, Lucky the Second, and a Nerites are in there.

It drives me a bit bonkers not having a decent scape in there, but it looks like it'll turn into a nice jungly mess for the gouramis when the time comes. In addition to the plants Karen sent I added a couple stems of stems from the 80 to see how they do in here vs. the high tech system. Some other stuff is on the way and we'll see how that fills in some of the remaining spaces.

Current plant list:
Various Bucephalandra (I can't get to the labels at the moment for proper listing)
Staurogyne 'Porto Velho'
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Anubias barteri v. Nana 'Petite'
Anubias barteri (in the top left corner, hoping for emergent growth)
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hygrophila corymbosa 'Kompact'
Ludwigia repens 'Super Red'
Rotala 'Mexicana'

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
This tank is begging for Crypt lutea 'hobbit'

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yes it is. Unfortunately I've only got C. wendtii 'Tropica' to put in there, which I'm going to be doing soon. A friend decided I was the perfect receptacle for a major tank trimming so I'm having to replant and regroup the 80 sooner than I'd wanted to make some space, but it does give me the chance to grab a few small Crypts to toss in here.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
EVERYONE needs a nano tank in their life.

Don't argue with me

Pro's of a nano: Yes.

Con's of a nano: There isn't a single one.

Impatiently following along....
LOL! This gave me a chuckle.
Phil Edwards likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:53 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
I don't think anyone is as impatient to get going as the tank itself. The poor thing's been sitting unused for quite some time. I was going to wait even longer, but Karen Randall told me to set it up, and who am I to argue? I've argued with her over a number of things in the past with poor results so I didn't even try this time. Besides, what's the best way to get rid of extra aquarium stuff? Get all the tanks set up and find homes for the leftovers.

Have to admit Phil - I did chuckle a bit on this post. Especially after having met Karen in person
Phil Edwards likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Have to admit Phil - I did chuckle a bit on this post. Especially after having met Karen in person
I love the lady to bits, but we had some notable disagreements when I was on the AGA board.
Immortal1 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode