First Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Planted Tank

Hi guys, newbie here to planted tanks. I do have tanks setup now which are biotope or growout tank. I basely keep wild discus and wild altum angels. I have also kept smaller SA cichlids, cories and tetras. The tank I will be working with is a 50 gallon tank which is basically 36x15x20 inches tall or so. First I need to reattach the background. It's a background from Universal Rocks and silicone does not seen to work with it. . After that I will be looking into lighting and substrate. Thinking low tech with a sand substrate and a SA theme.

I was browsing YouTube and found this
. I would not mind something like this .

Pat
sittinglynx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What lighting would you guys recommend for a low-light tank? or do the plant choices need to be considered first and I know tank height is also a consideration.
Pat
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
@jeffkrol can help with lighting.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
What lighting would you guys recommend for a low-light tank? or do the plant choices need to be considered first and I know tank height is also a consideration.
Pat
Hey Pat, welcome to TPT. What's your budget like for the light? Would you prefer cheap and very basic, or something that's going to cost more with bells and whistles? i.e. sunrise, sunset, adjustable spectrum, etc..
What color sand are you looking for? I've been using sand exclusively in my high-tech tanks now for a while, could probably give you some good recommendations there.
Discusluv likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
Hey Pat, welcome to TPT. What's your budget like for the light? Would you prefer cheap and very basic, or something that's going to cost more with bells and whistles? i.e. sunrise, sunset, adjustable spectrum, etc..
What color sand are you looking for? I've been using sand exclusively in my high-tech tanks now for a while, could probably give you some good recommendations there.

Hi mgeorges, I use some basic LEDs over my tanks now and it would be nice to have it do the whole shebang. Especially for plants. But I do wish to remain under $200. Regarding sand; I use sand in my discus tanks. Generally use PFS as it is inert however always open to suggestions
Pat
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Planted Member

Finnex 24/7. I have two current led plus pros but I always see people recommending the Finnex. Just can’t speak from personal experience
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayinblitzed View Post
Finnex 24/7. I have two current led plus pros but I always see people recommending the Finnex. Just canít speak from personal experience

Hi Stayinblitzed, I actually had a Current LED Pro over my 230 have had no issues with it. I have seen both the Current and Finnex recommended in the online reviews.

Pat
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Algae Grower

I have a Finnex 24/7 and I appreciate its ease of use as a fellow beginner. It's been able to grow every plant I've added (I haven't tried any high light stem plants). Maybe I'll experiment with custom settings eventually, but the programs are working great.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Ankhari, does the Finnex have a build-in program or did you need to setup it up?
Pat
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:03 PM
Algae Grower

Built-in. The only thing you have to do is select what time it's closest to (increments of 3 hours), double click a button and it's off and running. You can customize the RGB channels to create 4 different programs, but I've not been that adventurous (read: lazy).

Have you looked at the Fluval 3.0 at all? That's the one that gets all the raves and has a better warranty than the Finnex. 3 years instead of whatever the Finnex has, which might sway you that way. There are definitely some bad reviews of the 24/7 out there, but mine has been without problems for the year and a quarter I've had it.

mgeorges likes this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhari View Post
Built-in. The only thing you have to do is select what time it's closest to (increments of 3 hours), double click a button and it's off and running. You can customize the RGB channels to create 4 different programs, but I've not been that adventurous (read: lazy).

Have you looked at the Fluval 3.0 at all? That's the one that gets all the raves and has a better warranty than the Finnex. 3 years instead of whatever the Finnex has, which might sway you that way. There are definitely some bad reviews of the 24/7 out there, but mine has been without problems for the year and a quarter I've had it.

Hi Ankhari, thank you for mentioning the Fluval 3.0. I spend the afternoon comparing the Fluval 3.0 with the Finnex and decided on the Fluval 3.0 and ordered it.

Pat
mgeorges and Discusluv like this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So a friend on the SimplyDiscus forum is sending me some plants. He is sending Java Fern and a few small anubias. At this point I do not have the tank setup so considering moving a 10 gallon to the front porch and placing the plants in that. I am in fla so having things outside should not be an issue. The tank will be placed to get some light without being in the direct sun.

I do want to treat the plants for snails. If I recall correctly a weak bleach dip will do this. I will need to lookup the percentage as I do not want to melt the plants and the anubias should be mounted on wood according to my friend. Thoughts on this??
Pat

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 06-10-2019 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Wording
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Apparently the Java Fern needs to be mounted on wood also.
Pat
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Planted Member

You shouldn’t need any driftwood for the fern. It can grow in substrate too. I believe the ratio is 4 parts water to 1 part bleach. But you have to be careful not to leave in too long and kill your plants also. Maybe better to just wash it the best. Then set up a snail trap. Just use some lettuce and leave it in the tank for a few hours. Collect all the snails off it
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
Hi Ankhari, thank you for mentioning the Fluval 3.0. I spend the afternoon comparing the Fluval 3.0 with the Finnex and decided on the Fluval 3.0 and ordered it.

Pat
For your price range and light requirement, I think the 3.0 is going to be one of your best choices. 3 year warranty and waterproof, two features that Finnex doesn't offer. Sorry for the delay on my response! Busy weekend.

Also, for snail treatment, you can do a potassium permanganate dip to take care of nasties. Bleach works, but the potassium permanganate is considered safer. If you want to go the bleach route, I've always seen the recommended dilution ratio at 20:1. Washing first is a good idea to knock loose what you can, also visually inspect for snails eggs.

Fern ROOTS can be placed in the substrate, but if you bury the rhizome, it will rot and die. Driftwood or stone is great for attaching ferns, and you can use either super glue or thread to attach your plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode