First Planted Tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
For your price range and light requirement, I think the 3.0 is going to be one of your best choices. 3 year warranty and waterproof, two features that Finnex doesn't offer. Sorry for the delay on my response! Busy weekend.

Also, for snail treatment, you can do a potassium permanganate dip to take care of nasties. Bleach works, but the potassium permanganate is considered safer. If you want to go the bleach route, I've always seen the recommended dilution ratio at 20:1. Washing first is a good idea to knock loose what you can, also visually inspect for snails eggs.

Fern ROOTS can be placed in the substrate, but if you bury the rhizome, it will rot and die. Driftwood or stone is great for attaching ferns, and you can use either super glue or thread to attach your plants.

Thanks mgeorges What ppm for a PP dip do you recommend for plants?

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
@Second Hand Pat
Quote:
I don't have a prescribed dosing method. I only use it for an anti-snail dip on new plants, so keep that in mind when you consider my recommendation.

I add permanganate to my dipping bowl until the water is a medium to dark pink. It takes only a very small amount to reach that concentration. I usually leave plants in the dip for fifteen to twenty minutes. So far, I haven't introduced any unwanted snails to my tank.

A precaution: permanganate is a strong oxidizer, and also capable of causing serious brown stains on anything you might get it on (the MnO2)

Be careful with it, and don't let it come into contact with things that might burn. Wood, sawdust, sugar, you get the picture.

edit: this link shows a picture of a solution which looks about the same as what I use for a snail dip.

http://deosum.com/Articles/208-how-t...ate-kmno4.aspx

another edit: Your Ebay seller shouldn't be shipping KMnO4 in a plastic baggie. It could break.
Quoted from this thread - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...tructions.html
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you mgeorges, I have a stock solution of PP and have using it on fish. Rarely do that these days but nice to know it can be used on snails
Pat

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 06-11-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Wording

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Since I have my lighting figured out perhaps substrate is the next consideration. My plan is to use PFS (pool filter sand). It is easy to work with, cheap and vacuums easy. What other questions should I be asking regarding substrate?
Pat
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:30 PM
Planted Member

I’ve found that it is hard to keep plants rooted in pool filter sand. I would also be surprised if there are any nutrients in it so root tabs would be a good idea
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
Since I have my lighting figured out perhaps substrate is the next consideration. My plan is to use PFS (pool filter sand). It is easy to work with, cheap and vacuums easy. What other questions should I be asking regarding substrate?
Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayinblitzed View Post
Iíve found that it is hard to keep plants rooted in pool filter sand. I would also be surprised if there are any nutrients in it so root tabs would be a good idea
I've been exclusively using a #20 pool filter sand for a while now, zero issues with plants staying rooted and it's heavy enough that it doesn't become suspended if disturbed.
Here's the specific PFS I use, and this is where I buy it. Cheapest I've found it, plus free shipping...how they swing that on a 50 lbs bag blows me away - https://www.intheswim.com/p/pool-filter-sand
It's definitely on the pricier side for PFS, but I've tried others and have not been as pleased, so I'm happy to pay a little extra. This stuff is very clean out of the bag so there's minimal rinsing involved, very uniform grain size, a nice white color - love it! It is inert, but root tabs aren't needed if you're dosing the water column. I tried DIY root tabs very briefly, but I move stuff around fairly frequently, so I ended up with Osmocote+ balls getting pulled to the surface. No bueno. I strictly dose the water column, even the "heavy root feeders" like Crypts are 100% happy. The "heavy root feeders" thing is a myth, FYI

If you have questions about fertilizers, I can try my best to answer.
Maryland Guppy likes this.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:43 PM
Planted Member

Mine was just from the local pool shop. No clue what the brand or Type was. I just couldn’t get clippings from my main tank to stay rooted
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have used PFS for many years in past- kinda a discus keepers "go-too" substrate ( as Im sure you well know)- and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again for my discus tanks. It works great, is easy to keep clean "vacuum", and is economical.

Outside of discus- I tend to splurge on my substrate as I have particular tastes. I dont really like to "look" of PFS and loathe coal slag ( both aesthetically as well as for the health of bottom-dwellers).

My choice for getting the look I want in a substrate is Caribsea. Caribsea has some great looking substrates that do excellent with keeping plants rooted. I especially like their Sunset Gold and Crystal River Sand. I do low-tech tanks, root tabs, and liquid ferts ( Seachem line). So, yeah, not an advanced plant aquarium hobbyist- novice at best.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode