• 1 Post By TheDukeAnumber1
  • 1 Post By TheDukeAnumber1
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
100g Summer breeding pond log

Although I have been in the hobby casually for a while this is my first attempt at pond breeding. I am a white cloud fan and wanted to try to breed them this summer in a tub pond since I've read it's a fairly easy method to breed white clouds. I'm posting this log in hopes to get advice and recommendations and to share my experience.

I setup this 100 gallon stock tank in early May. I put in a dozen or so pieces of pre-soaked cholla wood and a 3d printed truncated octahedron for structure. I live on a personal well in IL so I filled the tote, dropped in some established media and a wonder shell, and called it good. The next day I added 7 gold white clouds and 8 regular ones. I had a 50watt heater running through most of may to take the edge off of the lows. The pond is right near a window so I can feed and check water parameters without even going outside.

I'm using chicken wire to keep out critters and hopefully dragon flies. I'm not using any filtration but I am running two air stones, one on each side on the pond.

So my attempt with getting the giant duckweek to grow has failed. I want to use it to improve water quality and provide cover but when I put new plants in it just slowly turnes red and isn't multiplying like it does in my indoor tanks. I have all the required fertilizer salts to run a hydroponic system and I'm getting tempted to mix some up and dump it in but at the same time I don't want an aglae explosion either. This pond has had many of those helicopter seeds drop into the water but the fish and water seem fine atm.

A couple weeks ago I got fry, some gold and some regular, although the gold fry seem to be disappearing. I wonder if the parents are eating them.

Also my feeding schedule is I feed 0.2tsp of live baby brine in the morning and fluval bug bites in the afternoon. I haven't seen the fry eat the baby brine yet but they are growing.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190603_062728.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	882313  

Name:	20190603_062732.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	498.1 KB
ID:	882315  

Name:	20190527_082358.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	882317  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Algae Grower

I would go get some Water Lettuce or Water Hyacinth. Maybe they will do better.
TheDukeAnumber1 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The water was getting pretty stained with tannins and the baby production has appeared to slow down since the initial boom. So this weekend I did a 50% water change, I dosed 1tsp of methelyne blue, and went to a pond down the street and picked up a scoop of daphnia to add to my pond hoping they will culture and be added food for the minnows.

During the change I didn't see a single original but I did see a few half grown juveniles and half a dozen fry. I'm hoping there are more below. When I started this I didn't realize I would hardly see my fish all summer. Thinking about doing another water change in a few days to clear things up further.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190614_154356.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	882931  

Last edited by TheDukeAnumber1; 06-20-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: cuz

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I stepped up my feeding a bit, feeding about .5tsp of fluval bug bites and .2tsp of baby brine every day, so I'm keeping up with weekly 50% water changes and 1 tsp of methylene blue w/ each water change. The tannin staining is mostly gone and I now have light green water which I'm happy to have in there. I rarely see my original stock, only occasionally I get a glimpse of one of the golds darting to the surface to grab some baby brine or some algae.

I finally got some pictures of the first breeding, now in their juvenile stage, but finally starting to look like real white clouds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190624_173046.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	883289  

Name:	20190624_173056.jpg
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	883291  

Name:	20190624_173117.jpg
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	883293  

Phil Edwards likes this.

Last edited by TheDukeAnumber1; 06-26-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: grammar
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I decided to close down the pond for the summer. I haven't seen any new fry for a few weeks and the existing babies have grown out to tank ready size. My guess is the fry stopped showing up because of snails sneaking their way into the pond and eating eggs and temps being very high. Some days the water was hitting 90F. I was very happy with the results and will try again next year for sure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190712_162817.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	884147  

Name:	20190712_184344.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	884149  

Discusluv likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
This is great - thank you for sharing.

Maybe next season you'll be able to find a way to provide more shade for the pond so it doesn't get so warm. With some good floating plant cover and a bit of shade, they'll probably go for much longer.
TheDukeAnumber1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I also have a 100 gallon stock tank outside. It has some water lily's, water lettuce, duckweed, dwarf water lettuce, crypts, watersprite, anachris, plus more that I can't think of right now. In this past week's hot spell, 100 degrees, the tank got up to 90-91 and the fish really didn't seem to mind. In fact the cichlids were more active than they had been, just not at mid-day. Occupants are Nanacara anomala and Corydorus elegans.

RAOK Club #55
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddhawkk View Post
I also have a 100 gallon stock tank outside. It has some water lily's, water lettuce, duckweed, dwarf water lettuce, crypts, watersprite, anachris, plus more that I can't think of right now. In this past week's hot spell, 100 degrees, the tank got up to 90-91 and the fish really didn't seem to mind. In fact the cichlids were more active than they had been, just not at mid-day. Occupants are Nanacara anomala and Corydorus elegans.

Neat. How much aeration are you using?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I have one of those submersible pumps (Chinese) from Amazon. I think it was about $13 total and it works great!

RAOK Club #55

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode