CMLaracy's ADA 90P (final photo shoot) - The Planted Tank Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
CMLaracy's ADA 90P (final photo shoot)

**Color corrected photos in updates**

Been a while since I've done one of these, upgraded from the 75P and hand made cabinet to a 90P and an ADA cabinet because I'm a big boy now ha. It's very obviously Iwagumi, I used seiryu stone (30kg+) and HC 'Cuba' exclusively; I'm not going to lie it's my favorite plant. Still using a MH pendant with a 150w ADA 'Green' that's brand new and still needs some time for the green to die down and settle/burn in a little bit. Ask away about other equipment.

Here's some set-up progression pictures. I used hand cut pieces of corrugated plastic board as substrate supports/dams to help the rocks keep the dramatic slope that allows you to see HC 'Cuba' in the background.

Here it is now after some time to clear, filled today.

Okay now we can rewind to the beginning.

The cardboard divider for the river, which was meticulously bent at nearly every corrugation (took hours I'm a nut).

This rock was the right shape but too large so I had it against the glass and propped up with smaller stones, the dirt did a good job eating it up and making it look smaller, and it also helped hold the slope.

Adding powersand advanced

Corrugated plastic supports peaking out before adding powdered AS

River getting filled in

Details coming along

The riverbed detail took many hours and lots of smashing of seiryu stone

Preliminary hardscape, things change from here a little

Planting this took at least 8 hours; I went through about a dozen of these trays and 32 cups.

Densely planting as it is the only bio-load

Filled with a bag with paper towels for wicking to further slow the fill water

Directly after filling

Cleared up a bit with in line CO2 diffusion on so there's bubbles adding to the fog

Off angle with the light in view. That's my tank for now, cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CmLaracy; 07-25-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: photos...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing it fill in. I think you went a little overboard on the amount of plants but it definitely doesn't hurt and if you can afford it more power to you.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Thanks! I figured with the HC being the only bio-load, I should go heavy for maximum nutrient absorption.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Algae Grower

Love it. Great execution, it should fill in quickly. Jelly of the cabinet, do you think it’s worth the price?
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

Clean setup, the overhead shot really shows the effort you put into this. What filter are you running?

Subscribed!

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dude, welcome back! How've you been? I've got to admit to being jealous of the old lighting. The 7000K CRI is my favorite and I'm having a hell of a time finding T5 in that range. That's some serious planting; how long did it take to separate and plant all those pots?

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoncor View Post
Love it. Great execution, it should fill in quickly. Jelly of the cabinet, do you think it’s worth the price?
Thank you! And yes actually, you can't hand make something of this precision. It's machined to extremely small amounts of error as everything fits and is shaped too perfectly to be hand cut. Then I'm sure they put it together by hand. It's surprisingly light, but plenty stable; although because my old handmade one was made redundantly strong and did have less wobble if I say push on the suction cups too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventchur View Post
Clean setup, the overhead shot really shows the effort you put into this. What filter are you running?

Subscribed!
Thanks! Just a modest Rena XP3 (Don't even think that's the name anymore) still running like new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Dude, welcome back! How've you been? I've got to admit to being jealous of the old lighting. The 7000K CRI is my favorite and I'm having a hell of a time finding T5 in that range. That's some serious planting; how long did it take to separate and plant all those pots?
Hey man thanks! Life's been good, biochemistry degree, working my medicinal chemistry masters degree, getting married next spring... I did develop psoriatic arthritis though and had to give up 90% of everything I do so there's that. Life is good and life is bad, but I still have a lot to be thankful for.

And yeah I'm dreading the day I have to move on from these MH bulbs, they're just so nice. They also have the perfect amount of shimmer... some LED's I see these days just have too much shimmer it's like a disco in your tank.

I didn't keep track but way more than 8 hours. "Day two" was 26 straight hours of work non stop.
Phil Edwards likes this.

Last edited by CmLaracy; 06-03-2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: grammar
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:14 PM
Algae Grower

That going to look awesome!

Bump: That going to look awesome!
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:22 PM
Planted Member

That's going to be lush once it fills in
I think you should add at least one more species of plant though, it'd be a shame not to since there's a lot of potential here. Hair grass usually contrasts nicely with these carpeted tanks

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPlantsAquarium View Post
That going to look awesome!

Bump: That going to look awesome!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
That's going to be lush once it fills in
I think you should add at least one more species of plant though, it'd be a shame not to since there's a lot of potential here. Hair grass usually contrasts nicely with these carpeted tanks
I've actually done a scape or two with just HC and hair grass. Arguably my best scape was those two and those two only. For this I really wanted it to look extremely minimalist and like rolling hills surrounding mountains. I'm also very curious to see what this much HC looks like. Wasn't a decision I made lightly, the cabinet took 2 months to come so I had a lot of time to plan this one.

I'll upload a pic of the inside of the cabinet, which now fits my ballast which is awesome because I can't hear it humming anymore (magnetic ballast).
Phil Edwards likes this.

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

As promised, here's a shot with the inside of the cabinet visible. Lots of storage space.

tredford likes this.

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Finally got some shots with a proper white balance, my iPhone XS Max washes the photos out in blue quite badly. I messed up the back left corner when my water change vacuum burped water because I decided I wanted to do a water change drunk, not hung over in the morning ha! (celebrating engagement, don't drink and scape people). Managed to fix the slope and add some more soil, replant everything and some more extras I had in the fridge, the area is recovering nicely and everything is beginning to spread.

So I've never had a tank start so easily, and I think I came up with a new technique for starting a planted tank without getting diatoms etc. Instead of a 50% WC every day for the first week, I did 50% WC in the AM before the light, AND PM after the light (8 hour photoperiod, will move it up to 10 eventually). I also put a carbon pad in my filter along with the purigen; soon it will be spent/exhausted and will just act as biological media - its only absorbing things in the beginning when you need it to, especially with how much AS I used (not the first time I've had success with charcoal in filter during cycle). Here ya go:

With the cabinet in view:

FTS

Color and white balance corrected cabinet interior shot:

Cheers!

Last edited by CmLaracy; 06-09-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: ..
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Filling in insanely fast... not even at the 2 week mark, ammonia on decline, nitrites through the roof.

Phil Edwards and tredford like this.

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
HC 'Cuba' Guru

Crickets in here! Here's the full setup from far back, filling in more and more each day and the HC is starting to go flat and spread runners and roots instead of growing up into clumps. I have some trimming of the original vertical stems to do soon once the runners really take off. All of the slope is being held perfectly by the plants and the roots, as the filter was causing mild erosion of the slope. The scape all of a sudden is far less fragile now that the HC is holding everything together, its a huge relief lol. (I must admit, this tank is extremely stressful to maintenance between the slopes, heavy rocks, and perfectly manicured easily destroyed sand river)

60 green neons and ~100 tiny colorless red cherry shrimp (think tiny Amano's, as Amano's would throw off the scale of this scape) are going to be on the way very very soon
vraev likes this.

Last edited by CmLaracy; 06-16-2019 at 12:47 AM. Reason: ..
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:34 AM
Planted Member

Looks great!! love the old MH, brings back memories! Those ADA bulbs are hard to beat. Scape is awsome too, well done.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode