2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rainer
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
120g - Peninsula Ridge

I'm returning to the hobby after almost five years' absence and have decided to do it in a big way: a 120g long dreamt of. My old 29g high tech tank was never that successful/stable and I always tried to do too much in it, so perhaps this will be the perfect palette. Everything is currently in the research phase.

Vision: A well-planted, high-light tank with contrasting leaf shapes, sizes, & colors, teeming with colorful inverts and swarms of small fish. Still haven't decided on a hardscape of wood or rock, or perhaps the "river through the jungle" look with sand and gravel.

Tank: 120g 48x24x25 with built-in overflows. Minimum amount of any sort of equipment visible.

Filtration: 29g sump with appropriate pumps, K1 media, and possible Purigen fluidized reactor loop.

Controller: leaning toward Apex system with pH (CO2), auto top-off from a small container, LED & pump control, leak detection, and dosing modified EI in solution.

Lighting: TBD. I'm looking for an on-tank LED system with wide enough coverage for a 24" wide tank and bright enough for high light at the substrate. Any recommendations welcome.

Dosing: modified EI (TBD) appropriate for my 7.6 pH, 8 dGH, 7 dKH water; CO2 injection

Fish: some mix of brilliant rasboras, microdevario kubotai, pygmy cories, glass catfish, cardinal tetras, perhaps a dario-dario and/or sparkling gourami, ocelot danio. Number of species depends on which tend to stay together as a discrete group.

Inverts: PFR/Bloody Marys and OEBT/Tangerine Tigers from a breeder tank currently in process; various nerites and mystery snails; perhaps a CPO

Plants: some mix of lysimachia nummularia "aurea" (aka Golden Creeping Jenny), crinum calimistratum, elatine triandra, UG, h. corymbosa "stricta", hygro pinnitafida, limnophila aromatica, myrio mattogrossense, a. reineckii mini, vals, and some sort of small-leaved bush-like plant TBD.

I realize this sounds like a riot of color and contrast, perhaps too much; I may have to tone it down somewhat.

Suggestions/recommendations/criticisms welcome.
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by Rainer; 06-09-2019 at 02:32 AM. Reason: composition change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can't wait to see it come together! What part of TN are you from?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

On reflection, this isn't going to work. The tank is simply going to dominate the room I had in mind as well as block the main window there. I can either admit defeat, go smaller, and lose at least a quarter of the planting area or...

...double down, stay with the 120, and take a hard 90 degree turn. Literally. It would work as a peninsula tank separating two rooms which already have a partial wall between them. The length is still great enough that an internal overflow is necessary. Scaping will be more of a challenge, plus I'll need a larger pump to ensure sufficient flow along the long axis.

Scape: the 24" breadth (depth of field) of this tank might be enough to pull off a center row of stems for a more conventional look but I'm leaning heavily toward a ridge scape running the length of the tank, aside from a narrow, diagonal pass running through it. The back corner bordering the overflow in the back and the 18" partial wall would be a good location to get stems out of my system.

Plants: This will require a more restrained approach rather than the riot of color I first had in mind. I really want to work a crinum calimistratum into the mix but it would likely throw off the sense of proportion. Perhaps highland meadows of UG, some sort of cushion plants/low bushes, lowland fields of HC/MC, and an isolated, small carpet of elatine triandra.

Lighting: I'm leaning toward 2 Fluval Plant 3.0 fixtures.

Hi, Vadim, and thanks. I'm in the Nashville area.

Getting back to the hobby and up to speed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
So a peninsula tank where one side is partially against a short wall? That could look pretty cool if you scape/hardscape the bigger elements/plants just in front of wall area only but leave walk around areas a bit more open, maybe with few smaller branches protruding into it, smaller stones and lower plants there, bit more of a open area for fish to swim around in. Maybe even tie up some floaters in that end.
Rainer likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The project is on hold until I get a few issues sorted. One of them is how to lower the KH reliably and safely. Tap here is 6.7 dKH, so stunting of several species under a rich fert regime is a concern. I've yet to find a good way to lower it. Of the two options presented in the "EI is killing my plants" thread, using RO/DI water is logistically very difficult, requiring plumbing the basement and cutting through hardwood floors. The other, using muriatic acid, isn't something I can ask a housesitter to do while I'm away and it doesn't sound that safe either. Plus, there's going to be a shock to the livestock if I dose the tank with diluted water while filling with the water changer hose.

Getting back to the hobby and up to speed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode