My first attempt at plants - hopefully a cheap one - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first attempt at plants - hopefully a cheap one

Alright so I bought a 20g from the LFS yesterday. It cam with the filter, hood, heater and they threw in a substrate bag of my choice for $70. I upgraded the light to a Flora-Glo.

Going to head back out to another LFS today and pick up some plants. I've got a good idea of fish I'll be doing, but I need to work on the plants. I'm going to pick up a few carpeting plants today based on what they have and just give that a shot.

This might not be as exciting of a read as some of the others here, but I'm doing it so I can help document what I've done. Below the substrate I added FloraMax to help. I guess I'll still have to buy some liquid ferts, but I wont be adding any CO2. I don't have the space/extra money to spend on it. Any suggestions on plants and such I'm open. Gotta get going so I'll update when I get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have a couple bags of FloraMax mixed in with my fluorite and I love the stuff. It's super easy to plant in and looks nice. If you can get any java fern those are nice and some stem plants are nice because they will grow tall and cover equipment in the tank.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So here's a problem I didn't think about. The sand that I bought, isn't that going to get eaten up by the gravel vac? I guess I can put some gravel on top of it... idk, problem I have to figure out.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bought Micro Sword and Water Sprite at the LFS. Picked up a few pieces of driftwood and they're soaking. Now I just need to pick up more plants and some river rock and I'll be happy for a bit.

Pictures to come.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Once the tank is established you shouldn't have to vacuum the gravel very often. We vacuum ours once every 6 months at most. For CO2 you can try DIY for cheap. I've been using DIY CO2 on a 40 gal for almost 2 years and all is going well. I just set up a 50 gal and the DIY CO2 seems to adequate so far. Of course Pressurized would be more convenient but the cost is a bit high for me right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Figured I'd have a go at vacuuming and it wasn't that bad. If I have to get stuff of the substrate I can simply stir the water a bit and get it with the vac. Now to find some more plants! Promise to have some picture of this lamer tank up soon.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a full tank shot. Really wish I had more time to play with the camera and get some good ones for you guys. This is mainly for me to have a first few weeks picture to look back on.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay, so here it is with a few new plants. I think I have some issues with ferts - local fish store confused the crap outta me today.

I have FloraMax substrate and they suggested I dose with 0-0-3 Iron & Manganese "Macro-Algae and Freshwater Plant Supplement"

I really thought I should be dosing Micro nutrients, but this is my first attempt and I could be confused. I think I need a little guidance.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I also changed the positioning of the lower driftwood to my liking. I know this is really just a bunch of plants thrown together and not even in the nicest way. I'm really doing it to see what I can get away with cheaply. Once some things start to do well, then I'll probably get more of that and rescape a bit. I read up on the golden rule today

I also learned to never trust the LFS - they had a bag ready for me since I was in a bit of a hurry "some good quality plants in here" - well turns out that one clump of moss was pretty much gone (you can see it on the back piece of drift wood). Hopefully it will turn green again - I honestly have no idea *tear*
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bummer on the moss. sorry I can't help with that. I never had any in my tanks. The micro swords and java fern should do well. I had some of that in a 6.5 gallon Edge tank and they grew great with no co2. I had fluorite and some liquid ferts. The swords really took off but I took the tank down and gave my friend the swords. I think you will be happy when they start to spread out. If your LFS is not treating you good stick with the Swap N Shop here on the forum. You'll most likely get a great deal with healthy plants. A few more plants, some fish and time will do wonders. Try setting the heater horizontal and near the bottom possibly behind one of those pieces of wood. I'm using a 300w Fluval submersible and the directions say to mount it vertically but I went horizontal with no problems. Also if you have a tube get that intake lower to the bottom, it will clean the bottom a bit better.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Vonzorfox - you know I do have a tube to get that lower. I didn't think about it doing a better job so thank you for the suggestion! I think I leave them higher because in my other tank, the filter was eating a lot of my Mollies fry and it caused a dwarf frog his life also . I hadn't had any problems since I moved it higher.

I will also gladly turn the heater on it's side. My issue was just not wanting as much cord in the tank (I'm really nervous about anything electrical), but since you mentioned it I shall. Plus it will be easier to hide this way.

I'm dosing with a Marine feed right now (a 0-0-3) mixture and hopefully that will help everything a bit.

More fish will be on the way once I make sure that these one's last. I'm up in the air about getting Gourami or more Tetra's right now. I'd like to do both, but I don't think it'll work because I want a different type of Tetra.

I will be sticking to the trader here though. I need to get some river rock from someone or something because I can't find any here. Then we'll see what plants are doign well and probably order a few more of those as well.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No need to worry about the cord as long as it's not damaged, it's 100% water proof. You can put a pre-filter (sponge) on the intake strainer. It will need to kept clean or your flow will suffer.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yet another new thing I've learned. I have seen them before, but I figured they'd not help collect the larger pieces of debree that would be floating around? Would the prevent proper collection of the filter?

And since I'm asking questions - If I turn the heater sideways, is it best to keep plants away from it? Such as Java Moss? I would assume I don't want plants rooting to it correct?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added a few Pygmy Cats to the tank today along with some river rock. Been having a hard time keeping the Java Moss attached to the drift wood. I think I got it good this time though!

Pretty mad - Turns out the LFS sold me already dead Java Moss so now I have to get some more.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So my driftwood is developing a milky white substance as posted in this thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...ml#post1307601
and I'm honestly not sure what it is.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode