Jim's Shrimp Rack - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KayakJimW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Jim's Shrimp Rack

I've been planning out this rack for quite a while now, trying to work out every last detail before cutting the first piece of wood. I think I've now reached the point where the planning is covered and it's time to make some sawdust. My vision of this rack is built around simplicity. It will be free standing with its own outlets, lighting, and filtration having just one plug coming out of it. The goal is to keep eight 10 gallon tanks for dwarf shrimp breeding projects while also creating more room to farm different Anubias, ferns, buce, mosses, etc. My two "display" aquariums have turned into collectoritis farms and I'm equally excited to get those back to proper display mode while still keeping the random plants I enjoy in the new 10s. Livestock will be mostly Neocaridina with two tanks for Sulawesi shrimp.

Here's the general idea, super rough sketch:

Will be 2 x 4 construction using the Ted Judy notch method. Man that blade is dull

Wanted to see if larger cuts broke out easier (or least the same with less cutting...)

Answer is about the same. Need to file it down either way but less cuts with that dull blade sounded good to me. In the future I'd prob take it to a buddy's house with a table saw and dado blade, but it was all tailgate workshop this AM. That's where I'm at now, but trying to finish this next weekend or two so I'll update along the way. All cuts are made, just need to assemble and rig up the fun stuff!

For filtration I'm going with the Alita 6a linear piston air pump due to its quiet reputation at 27db. This will hook into a pvc loop mounted to the back side of the rack to power 8 double sponge filters, plus 2 additional UGFs in the Sulawesi tanks with Onyx gravel on those. So 10 adjustable air valves will be in the loop plus a bleed valve with exhaust silencer to keep the Alita happy and cool

For Lighting I'll likely just use two 36" Beamsworks

The Sulaswesi tanks will be heated, but just those two

Lids will be Lexan cut to fit. Each tank will have two separate pieces. A smaller piece at the rear with a hole(s) for the airline/CO2 tubing. And a longer piece up front with a handle for easy removal. I'm betting the back pieces will only need to come out a few times a year for sponge cleaning and wanted as much covered as possible to reduce evaporation/humidity/noise

Also I'm going to set up a CO2 tank w/ 4 valves to juice up 4 of the Neo tanks and speed up the Anubias (whites, pangolino, bonsai, micro, etc.), Buces, mosses, etc that will be grown in them. And I like the idea of being able to offer local bred Neos that are used to CO2, ferts and larger water changes. The top shelf of the rack will be for storage tubs of supplies, the air pump, and CO2 tank negating the need for check valves as both gasses will be fed downward. The 2 x 4 post up there is to strap the CO2 tank. The plywood floor will hold extra hardscape material

I think that pretty well sums up the idea, now time to get back to work on it. Thanks for checking this out. Ideas and critiques always welcome
Yaboihunt likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Last edited by KayakJimW; 05-19-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: )

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode