180 Gallon Planted Discus Tank Low-tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow 180 Gallon Planted Discus Tank Low-tech

I took a few pictures of my 180G planted discus tank tonight. I setup the tank last November and its finally become pretty stable. I've been struggling with the plants in this tank. I think the sump is off gasing all the Co2. I sealed it up the best I could and the plants seemed to do better but they are still not as healthly as they were in my old 75G https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...scus-tank.html. The tank currently has:

5 Discus - want 10-14 but they are so expensive for quality ones
3 Angels - spawned in 75G and grew massive
Bolivian ram
German Blue ram - added today
Gold Rams - added today
2 Cardinal and 2 Neon tetras
15-18 rummy nose tetras
7 corycats - jumbo bronze and one albino
2 BN plecos
Clown pleco
And the descendent's of my original guppies that got me into fish keeping. They keep spawning and must be on the 10th+ generation. They dont live but a year or so in the 85*F water but they are always spawning so they never die out lol.

This is a pretty low-tech tank. I only have a 48" 2x54w T5ho and no Co2. I dosed excel when i initially setup the tank but I'm away too much to dose it daily now days. Not the best pictures but I plan to take some more soon with a better camera. Feel free to give me comments on layout and/or ways to improve the plant health. They look like they are lacking in nutrients since I dont dose any ferts.

Last edited by WhiskeyD; 02-21-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not able to see the pics

Efhipimp #456, 2026 & 2071

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(tore down)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do thumbnails work now?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yup! Great looking tank and fish!

Bet you cant wait to get more discus?!

Have you thought about ordering from a breeder online. The prices are good and quality is by far better than most LFS. Especially if you are buying several discus it can save you a lot of money.

Efhipimp #456, 2026 & 2071

(tore down)

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If I had the spare money I think I would buy them from a reputable breeder online. I got some prices from a few breeders and I was looking at $500+ for 10 discus with shipping. Maybe this summer or fall I will be able to afford them. I will probably get rid of the angels when I get more discus.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone know what type of anubis is on the far left?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Off-gassing CO2 is not an issue if you're not injecting CO2 in the first place.

I think your light level is a bit high and that's the reason for your algae issues. I'm guessing you're getting algae mostly right underneath the light? If you raise the fixture up about 4-6" off the tank that may help. It may actually help the light distribution to the ends of the tank, too.

Root tabs would probably help a lot, especially for the big swords.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There is still some Co2 present even if you are not injecting it. I've never had luck with HOB filters or with my overflows currently. It seems what little Co2 there is off gases from the water falling. For the last two years I've only ran canisters with spray bars and the plants thrived. I do use seachem fert tabs which is one of the reasons why the swords always seem to do well. But, this is the first tank I've had sunset hygro in that it didnt thrive in. I was thinking the more the water, the more the natural nutrients in the water from PWCs? Or is it the opposite, with so much water you need to dose nutrients?

Yeah, most of the algae is in the center of the tank. I raised the light 3" and it made a big difference. With the extra light coverage on the white sand the light really reflects off the sand and brightens up the tank and even the room. Its like being at the beach
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Algae Grower

CO2 only off-gasses if the co2 pressure in the water excedes that in the atmosphere. in a planted tank you need to balance co2 with light. in my low tech setups i aim for maximum surface agitation, to ensure consistent co2 levels, and adjust light accordingly. you may need to drop to t5no or raise your lights as suggested earlier. if not, injecting co2 is the other option, but not ideal if you already have good air-water gas exchange.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Algae Grower

BTW - Great tank. I love the pictures.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Took a picture right before feeding today, everyone was out and hungry.

The Bolivian ram is quick and hard to take a good picture of. He's normally nice and red, the pictures dont due him justice. Hopefully the next round of pictures will be with the good camera. Thanks for looking

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode