6Likes
  • 4 Post By TheOne
  • 2 Post By Phil Edwards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post New setup 1 month update.

One day shy of one month since I planted and flooded the tank.

Specifics:
Tank: 29 gal
Substrate: Fluval Shrimp Stratum
Filter: Aquaclear 50
Light:Nicrew Classic LED Plus (Full sprectrum)
CO2: None
PH: 6.4
Plants: Water Wisteria, Variegated Water Wisteria, Lugwigia Repens, Bolbitus Heudelotii, Anubuias Nana, Java Fern Windelov Surprise Guest: utricularia gibba
Critters: 10 Blue Ramshorn Snails

I started with around a week long dry start to the monte carlo just to give it a chance to grab hold of the very light substrate. I got lucky compared to others I've seen post about fluval, my tank water never got dusty or dirty at all. Everything has been growing very well since then. Not sure I was prepared for how rapidly the water wisteria would grow and take over it's areas of the tank but I'm pleased with it. My poor java fern(attached to furthest right rock) is almost shadowed out by it. Still trying to coax a little more red coloration out of the ludwigia but it's growing nicely, even though I planted them a little too bunched up. All my plants came from Dustin's Fishtank except the monte carlo which was a tissue culture that barely survived shipping.

I just gave my Bolbitus a trim as the large/older stems were turning brown. There is one new stem that appeared a few weeks back and several new nodes that look ready to grow, so hopefully the trim will encourage that. The monte carlo did a major melt and has started growing back pretty well I think, the new leaves are much smaller. The tank is just coming out of brown alage/diatom infestation. You can still see plenty of it on the intake filter. But the snails have completely removed it from the glass and almost all of the hardscape and the substrate. It hilarious watching them go on a short coaster ride when the flow picks them and the substrate up. I had turned down the flow to let them keep at it on the substrate and then immediately noticed egg sacks all of the glass so I'm testing to see if the heavier flow will discourage egg laying. ( I can dream).

Currently toying with the idea of adding more plants right beneath the filter intake and behind the driftwood, I actually left space there for that purpose. Thinking about Alternanthera reineckii or Alternanthera reineckii mini. Any other thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190413_111743.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	497.4 KB
ID:	881673  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190512_155518.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	499.0 KB
ID:	881675  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's looking good for a month's growth! The Java Fern and Bolbitis are the perfect plants to put down near the wood. They both appreciate strong flow and make good midground plants. If it were my tank, I'd attach the Anubias to the wood and put it a few inches in front of the Wisteria on the right on a diagonal. That'll both give you more room in the back for stems and cover up the lower portion of the Wisteria which will make things look cleaner and more full. The Bolbitis can then go in front of the larger rock at about the 5 o'clock position. That'll free up the Java fern rock to go in the midground to make a nice bush and cover up the lower portion of any stems you plant behind it. Basically, what you want to do right now to get the most usable space and visual impact later is frame the Monte Carlo as you have it now. You've got a decent arrangement right now. Most new aquascapers fall into the trap of making their carpets too large, which ends up making their tank look smaller and takes away room for other plants in the rear. Unless you're making mainly carpet aquascape a good rule of thumb is to keep the majority of your carpeting plants within an inch or two of the front glass. That gives you more space in the midground and rear to add groups of plants which will both make the aquascape more full and add depth at the same time. Try playing around with arranging the rock, wood, and epiphytes (Bolbitis, Java Fern, and Anubias) closer to the glass in a way that frames the MC better. You may be surprised at the results.

Regards,
Phil
tredford and TheOne like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
anubias nana, bolbitis heudelotii, java fern, ludwigia repens, water wisteria

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode