Holly - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's a bummer re the cories. Don't really feel the STS is sharp edged per se but I guess is somewhat abrasive on its face - like 2000 grit emory cloth. Did some searching here and found mixed opinions on cories and STS. Like anything else though I guess. What I did come across while searching the above is a pretty much unanimous experience of STS absorbing kH and with a kH of 0-1 out of my tap, thinking this is concerning. Mixed reviews of STS sucking up gH. I too subscribe to Phil's "work with the water you have" mantra, but you gotta do what you gotta do? What should I do? My gH test bottle expired some time ago and though my kH test is still within date, got them together so have replaced them both and will get some more comfortably valid data before and after today's water change.

Along with not being terribly comfortable with the stability of this tank, there's another issue I need to address before adding livestock. The hot water in the plant is not hooked up to my office though do have cold water. Thinking it will be easier to pump heated water from a 55 gallon barrel to the tank than to plumb in hot water. This will also allow me to potentially treat the barrel water as needed. If it does come down to it, any thoughts on target kh and gh values?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If the barrel solution works for you, go for it, lots of folks use that method. As for the KH/GH thing, try dosing after water change and then again midway through the week if you need to. I haven't added GH booster to actually get to a GH target in nearly 20 years. It's more useful to me as a way to supplement Ca, Mg, and often, K. It may be helpful to think of it like that too given your situation. As far as KH, if you're looking for CO2 consistency then you'll need to add a KH booster daily to make up for what's lost, or dose after water changes and call it good (what I do)...or not use one at all.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

06.09.19 Week 6 post water change:

Not a lot to report from week 5 to week 6. Still fighting diatoms. Pulled/trimmed/split/replanted the R. wallichii, L. cardinalis, and H. tripartita and deep vacuumed around the left side. Stirred up diatoms on and around plants on the right side. Thinking now I spent too much of the water change siphoning directly on the wood. Think next water change I'll simply rub it and swish plants and substrate and just siphon the water column generally. May do this mid week/tomorrow. Guess all in all am seeing some moderate growth.

Added twentyfive grams NilocG gH booster to add Ca and Mg which resulted in 2-3 degrees gH. Added eleven grams sodium bicarbonate bringing the kH to two degrees. There must have been a little kH in the tank pre WC as four grams NaCO3 gave me >1 degree and it took seven additional grams added one gram at a time to get >2 degrees. The next day, however, kH was <1 degree. Guess the Saf T Sorb is still sucking up kH. I really want to add fish but thinking it's more important to get kH stabilized. Am leery of putting a lot of sodium in the tank. Am thinking I might should roll my own gH booster with MgSO4, CaCo3, and KHCO3 to speed up saturating the STS without adding all that sodium. Thoughts?

And been working on dialing in CO2. Tap pH = 7.3. Off gased tank pH = 7.2 (24 hrs). Lights on pH = 6.5. Peak pH = 6.1 (from approx. two hours after lights on (CO2 on for three hours) to at least three hours after lights off. Not sure what the pH level is right before CO2 starts. Gotta get to work earlier tomorrow. Thinking it's only in the upper six range. Have a little bit of surface oil slick. Seems to me there's quite a bit of surface agitation from the filters but... Guess I need to divert more flow to the Cerges reactor. Also shut off CO2 earlier and possibly decrease CO2 volume?

Also have been increasing my understanding of fert dosing. Thank you @Greggz for your shared spreadsheet. It has been most helpful. Am not quite ready to post it though as there are still some blank fields and some other values I need to hone.

Ok, time to sit back and enjoy the last minutes of tank light and ponder all that I want to do before calling it a day.
Phil Edwards, Greggz and tredford like this.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

06.15.19 Week 7 post water change:

Diatoms may be a little better/less this week. Certainly post water change as I really stirred up the gravel as well as sponged the glass, rubbed down the wood, and brushed off the plants (multiple times). Installed an Aquaclear 70 during wc and left it on an hour after refilling before cranking the canisters back up. Then just left it running for now.

Finally see some wisteria growth. Thought and kinda hoped this would be the one I'd have to trim weekly. And some growth anyway on the other stems. Assembled all the vertical stems of what I'm thinking is Ludwigia palustrus (wild gathered)and moved to the left side of tank in front of the E. peruensis. Speaking of which, both have put out shoots with 5-6 plantlets. Guess I just cut these off?

And changed my GH booster to also boost kH as my STS substrate continues to suck up the little kH that's in my tap. Attaching a copy of GreggZ shared dosing worksheet. Again, most helpful. Thank you @Greggz:

First mixed five grams each KHCO3, CaCO3, and MgSO4 in a pint squeeze bottle to dissolve then squirted in tank. I guess the appropriate description would be chalky. I'm talking white water tank. Was a little concerned for a bit but water did clear up in fifteen-twenty minutes. So I did it again with five more grams of each. After that fully dissolved kH measured 3-4 and GH 4-5. Won't know 'til Monday if the Saf T Sorb sorbed all the kH again but suspect it will.

All in all, all's good. Wish my phone images weren't so washed out. Need to figure something out there. Also need to learn how to make the image a thumbnail that one can click and bring up the full size image. Could certainly use some help there. And if anyone notices anything questionable or even downright crazy especially regarding my dosing please chime in. Not at all confident and want to learn.

Cheers
Phil Edwards and Greggz like this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooldazed View Post
Again, most helpful. Thank you @Greggz:
Glad to see the spreadsheet helped.

Good record keeping is underestimated. I rely on it to help point me in the right direction.

And very nice start to a tank, really coming along nicely.

Will be following and looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. Subscribed.

------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode