• 1 Post By aydemir
  • 1 Post By aydemir
  • 1 Post By aydemir

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lazy ADA 60f

Hi all, I wanted to share my ADA 60f tank! I call it the lazy ADA 60f because even though I know better I get lazy with it and don't follow my own rules...(i.e. weekly water changes, trimming etc)

Equipment:
Tank: ADA 60f
Filter: Eheim canister filter
Pipes: Jardli nano lily pipe (amazon)
Light: Micmol 60W freshwater LED
CO2: DIY with S.T. international diffuser (amazon)

Fauna:
4 rummynose tetras
2 oto cats
3 pygmy corys
1 celestial pearl danio (had a small group initially but all but 1 were killed by dropsy...)
cherry and crystal red shrimp

Flora:
Staurogyne repens
Hydrocotlye tripartita
Xmas moss
Anubias petite
Dwarf baby tears
Rotala (forget exact kind)

Pics as of today right before a trim, is basically an unintentional jungle tank!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 PM
Algae Grower

I was going to post that your first pic looked really squished and then I remembered that this is a 60F.

OOOOooops.

AquaMaxx Cuboid 9.1 + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba XB-303
ADA Mini M + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba PF-120 HOB
UNS 3N + Chihiros RGB+ Azoo Mignon 60 HOB
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha yeah its really shallow! Also forgot to mention I have about a million ramshorn snails and some assassin snails in there that clearly aren't getting the job done. Theres tiny holes on a lot of the S.repens...

Bump: Haha yeah its really shallow! Also forgot to mention I have about a million ramshorn snails and some assassin snails in there that clearly aren't getting the job done. Theres tiny holes on a lot of the S.repens...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update/more pics

Just did a water change on my canister filter, and damn. I should've cleaned it out a while ago, the amount of gunk that came out was pretty impressive....

Actually wasn't lazy and did some trimming and sort of fixed the sand path that was supposed to be there from the start...ruined accidentally when I started the tank...

Also finally bit the bullet and ordered a CO2 regulator! Hopefully I'll get that and have it running soon. Now for some cloudy pics right after a water change:

tredford likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:10 AM
Planted Member

Nice looking setup. I kind of like the jungle look lol.

How do the rummy noses do with the shrimps?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:14 AM
Algae Grower

That looks beautiful though, looks like your laziness might be good for the tank hahaha.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Nice looking setup. I kind of like the jungle look lol.

How do the rummy noses do with the shrimps?
Thanks! I'm not hugely a fan of the jungle look in this particular tank (i think its because it's shallow)...

The rummynoses have been fine with the shrimp but on the other hand i haven't seen new babies for a while. The rcs population was well established when i added them so i'm not too worried. Ive never actually seen them go for the shrimp either.
Quint likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Snapped a good pic of the shrimps/oto crew/rummynoses at feeding time yesterday. Pygmy corys still camera shy...
tredford likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydemir View Post
Just did a water change on my canister filter, and damn. I should've cleaned it out a while ago, the amount of gunk that came out was pretty impressive....

Actually wasn't lazy and did some trimming and sort of fixed the sand path that was supposed to be there from the start...ruined accidentally when I started the tank...

Also finally bit the bullet and ordered a CO2 regulator! Hopefully I'll get that and have it running soon. Now for some cloudy pics right after a water change:

if you're interested in cleaning up the ADA soil from your sand, you can run a strong neo magnet and itll suck up all the ADA soil out of the sand. ADA soil is magnetic.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWRX View Post
if you're interested in cleaning up the ADA soil from your sand, you can run a strong neo magnet and itll suck up all the ADA soil out of the sand. ADA soil is magnetic.
Its not called the lazy ADA 60f for no reason!

In all seriousness, I made a rookie mistake of not separating the sand and soil with some sort of divider (I used corrugated plastic, it just wasn't tall enough, and the flow from my canister filter was much more than expected). Now that the S.repens around that area is really rooted in there hasn't been any spillover. I actually bought a magnetic pick up tool off amazon rated for 15 lbs and I thought that would be plenty, but it doesn't grab a whole lot of the aquasoil at once, it would still take a really long time to separate it with this method. Unfortunately don't have a way to get a neo magnet for cheap or from a friend so I've just left it as is for now...

The original intention for the aquascape was to have a sand path through the small underpass of the wood, creating a much better sense of depth since the tank is so short (depth-wise)...oh well lol!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode