(soon to be retired)Shrimp Sauce... Now with Shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (3/100%)
(soon to be retired)Shrimp Sauce... Now with Shrimp

Hey all!

Thought I would share a few pics of my tank!

2.5 Gal - Aqueon Bowfront with corner filter.
1" Miracle Grow Organic Potting mix base
1" Black gravel top
No hardscape yet.. water is too cloudy to bother.
**Driftwood soaking**

Flora
2x - Egeria Densa
2x - Banana Plant
**Java Moss on order**

Fauna
**8-10 Ghost Shrimp when the moss is in and the water is clearer**

Heres a full shot

Front Right corner (Egeria will be eventually moved back)

Right center (Egeria looks weak )

Left Back corner

Close up of my small banana plant

Bubby Leaves

The better piece of Egeria

Different angle FTS

And.. that's pretty much all :p

I'll be getting more pics as the water clears up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sjuapseorn; 03-03-2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What filter are you using? As I'm still a noob, I can't help but ask, why is the water so cloudy?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantesmx View Post
What filter are you using? As I'm still a noob, I can't help but ask, why is the water so cloudy?
^_^
Well... To be honest I really don't know what this filter is. It's whatever came with the box set I bought. But I do know it's Aqueone brand and it takes the Small pads with the side slit..
*It also will be getting replaced with a Rio-50 as soon as possible*

This water wasn't cloudy at 1am this morning when I put the water in so the only thing I can think of is particles of stuff are floating up out of the substrate.

Hopefully one of the veteran tank guru's will get on and shed some light on this issue.

SJ

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuapseorn View Post
^_^
Well... To be honest...

Hopefully one of the veteran tank guru's will get on and shed some light on this issue.

SJ
Haha, yea! - A lot of experience in these forums man. So is this your first ever tank?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Oh.. no it's just my 1st planted tank.
Kinda got the bug when I started working at my college. We are trying to grow Egeria Densa in large quantities for experiments.

And.. once you get the bug there's no cure I see...

But normally I would have at least 1 betta tank going at any given point in the year.. just lost the interest for a while after a bad breakup about 4 years ago..

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Your tank is cycling and the water should clear in a few days to a week. You should have a couple of small hardy fish in there also. Just try not to disturb the filter system too much. When you switch filters you will most likely get the cloudy water for a while but it will clear on it's own. I just did a filter change last night and mine is cloudy too. I would get some stem plants in there as they will help with the process, the more the better. What lighting system and bulbs are you running?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Planted Member

I have this exact tank, I'm sure you'll like it. Lemme finish cleaning then I will post some pictures.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
^_^
Well... To be honest I really don't know what this filter is. It's whatever came with the box set I bought. But I do know it's Aqueone brand and it takes the Small pads with the side slit..
*It also will be getting replaced with a Rio-50 as soon as possible*

This water wasn't cloudy at 1am this morning when I put the water in so the only thing I can think of is particles of stuff are floating up out of the substrate.

Hopefully one of the veteran tank guru's will get on and shed some light on this issue. SJ
Based on the photographs in your original post, it looks (to me) like the size of the black gravel you're using to overlay the soil may be too large to keep the underlying soil from slowly leaching out between the individual pieces of gravel. If you agree with me, and if the filter is not able to clear the water within the next day or two, I recommend that you set the tank up again with a smaller particle size black gravel overlayer. I have found that black Eco Complete works well as an overlayer for soil... but less expensive, black-colored, small gravel alternatives probably are available.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Oh man I hope I don't have to re-do it... I got a ton of Substrate, but I don't wanna waste it just because of gravel..

would it be possible to layer something smaller over top of it and kinda "gently" tamp it down in between the other stuff?

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonzorfox View Post
What lighting system and bulbs are you running?
Running the hood fixture right now. Might change to something different when I change to a different filter style. I don't really like the fact that this one is showered in light and open to the atmosphere. (I cant run CO2 into it because it'll just diffuse right out...)

That's the troubling issue... I have no idea what spectrum this light is, but it's the Wal-Mart 13w loop fluorescent T10 base for plants. It seems like it is going to be enough light but i hate not knowing the actual specs on it. It is also on a timer for 12h on and 12h off and doesn't seem to add massive amounts of unwanted heat to the tank.

I guess I'm going to chance it and put some shrimp in here tomorrow and see if they can get the tank cycling faster. I would go get a Betta for this tank but I don't want to kill it as I'm not going to be running any heaters. Just ambient temperatures (72) range.

The tank doesn't get any sunlight at all, it's in a bathroom without windows so I don't have to worry about fluctuations in temperature of more than 1 degree +/-

I am also going to add 5ml of beneficial bacteria.... since I'm 'tarded and forgot to do it when i put the new water in!!

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Oh man I hope I don't have to re-do it... I got a ton of Substrate, but I don't wanna waste it just because of gravel..

would it be possible to layer something smaller over top of it and kinda "gently" tamp it down in between the other stuff?
How large is your tank? Your original post mentioned that it is 2.5 g in size (which would not contain much soil substrate in the 1"-thick layer). However, your above statement that you have "a ton" of substrate in it makes me think the tank's size is 25 g rather than 2.5 g. :-)

So, if the large volume of soil substrate in your 25 g capacity tank keeps you from wanting to set the tank up again, right now I can only think of two options. First, if you think that the bulk of the currently severe cloudiness may be due primarily to a heavy bacterial bloom because the tank is cycling (as stated clearly by a previous poster), you can just wait until the cycling is finished and see if the cloudiness dissipates. Second, you can try the approach mentioned above in your 2nd paragraph... and see if that has the desired effect.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

oh my.. I should have been more specific on what I meant by a ton of substrate..
sorry bout that!

It's a 2.5 gallon

I meant I have a ton in the bag still but i don't want to waste it as I'm going to be redoing the Elodea tank in my bio department this week sometime

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

some pics of the driftwood i'm working on and 2 more shots of the tank

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
oh my.. I should have been more specific on what I meant by a ton of substrate..
sorry bout that!

It's a 2.5 gallon

I meant I have a ton in the bag still but i don't want to waste it as I'm going to be redoing the Elodea tank in my bio department this week sometime
Oh, O.K. That's a different situation, then. :-)

After thinking some more about your problem, I think you should try the approach I like to call "watchful waiting;" i.e., patiently waiting to see if the turbidity clears as the cycling progresses, as recommended by Vonzorfox. That approach probably would be the simplest, although the most time-consuming, one. Then, if it doesn't seem to be working and you have enough soil left after you redo your biology department's tank this week, you can decide whether you want to redo your 2.5 g tank by using a different protective layer on top of the soil layer, as I recommended in my first post.

Personally, I never have had a reason to try the alternative approach you asked about in a prior post; i.e., using a smaller size gravel or sand cap on top of a too large gravel overlayer. So, I can not say how well it might work. However, I have found that a layer of Eco Complete or of a similar size substrate/gravel does an excellent job in protecting a soil underlayer and preventing excessive dispersal of its particles and nutrients into the water column.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Also..
Here is my planned scape.. Will be a long time going though. As I only have 2 stalks of Egeria and I am going to need 10-15 more for this setup. Also I have to get the moss in and spreading so I can bust it up into carpet areas....

Any ideas on how I can set it up temporarily to be hospitable for Ghosts with 2 golfballs of moss, 2 Egeria, and 2 bananas?

btw...

I'm a massive fan of asymmetrical designs as I'm sure some of you have seen me say on other posts of nanos and what not

SJ

PS.. now that I look at my crude drawing I realize that it's borderline symmetrical *AACK*
Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode