• 2 Post By vijay_06
  • 1 Post By vijay_06
  • 1 Post By Phil Edwards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lava Rock Peninsula - 75 Gallon Low Light Aquascape

This is my second Journal. The first one was for a high tech setup that I had running for a year and a half and I enjoyed the ride a lot. But my work schedule changed which did not allow me to dedicate that much time for tank maintenance. I was not ready to give up the hobby either and hence decided to switch to a low light, low maintenance setup/scape.

Equipment List:

75 Gallon Marineland Tank
2 Fluval FX6 Filters
GLA CO2 Regulator
10 lb CO2 Cylinder
Rex Grigg Style CO2 Reactor
Eheim Surface Skimmer
2 Powerheads
2 Heaters
2 Kessil A360X Tuna Sun LEDS with Kessil Spectral Controller

Hardscape:

35 lb Lava Rock
Small piece of Driftwood

Substrate:

One 10 L bag if UNS Controsoil
One 8 KG bag of ADA La Plata Sand

Plants List:

Trident Java Fern
Anubias Barteri Nana Petite
Anubias Barteri Golden Nana
Anubias Barteri Nana
Echinodorus Horizontalis Mini
Buce Kedagang Red
Crypt Petchii
Crypt Lucens
Crypt Retrospiralis
Nymphoides Hydropylla Taiwan
Nymphaea Santarem

Livestock:

Harlequin Rasbora
Ember Tetra
Siamese Alage Eater
Cherry Shrimp
Amano Shrimp

The main goal was to establish a low maintenance setup. That meant going with Crypts, Ferns and Anubias for the most part. I also had to cut down on the light intensity. Except for the lights, all the other equipment have been carried forward from the high tech setup. More on the initial setup and lights to come later.

Phil Edwards and tredford like this.

Last edited by vijay_06; 04-22-2019 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Image update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The tank is positioned to be viewed from the front and hence I decided to go with a 'Peninsula' layout. Egg crate acts as the bottom layer to help with preventing any acute pressure points from the lava rocks. Crevices between the lava rocks have been sealed off using filter wool. UNS Controsoil was poured to a height of 2 inches or so.

I did not go with a very strong substrate such as ADA Amazonia knowing that it will require large water changes at least for the first 3-4 weeks and I could also be fighting algae issues during that period. I simply could not afford the time/effort needed to get through that phase. From what I could read, UNS Controsoil seemed like a decent bet and hence went with it.

The La Plata sand around the Peninsula provides a nice contrast and I find it very appealing. Yes, it has a mild coating of GDA at a few spots even though it has been just 7 weeks, but I plan to replenish the top layer once every 3-4 months. It is very easy to siphon off and lay down a fresh coating of new sand for the top layer.

The initial layout had a lot more of interesting Spiderwood, but they all floated upon flooding which was a bummer. They were soaked for a couple of weeks and seemed to not float in the big trash can, but I was clearly wrong. I decided to do way with Spiderwood and settled with the hardscape you see currently. Almost all the plants were planted/setup on Day 1.

There has been no major algae issue in these 7 weeks and the tank seems to be settling in well. I do a large water change every week (70%), but the overall maintenance takes around 45 minutes. This includes wiping down the glass, filter inlet/outlet, skimmer, heaters, powerheads and trimming off any dead leaves. There has been no visible algae on the equipments in the last couple of weeks, but I still give everything a good wipe. I am pretty sure that the low light intensity helps a lot and that brings me to the lights.

I was running T5HOs/SB Reef Freshwater LEDs on the high tech setup. When I decided to switch, I wanted to try the new Kessil A360X Tuna Sun LEDs. I was always intrigued by the shimmer the Kessil's produce. These lights are very expensive and my tank does not need the penetration/power Kessils can produce, but I bought them to see whether I like the shimmer in person. The plan was to return them if I was not fully convinced. Just after a few minutes with these new lights, I started loving the shimmer. I do think that these lights are not for everyone. It can really be distracting in a dark room, but the Kessils do add something to the overall experience. I am not sure how to express it. It is best experienced in person. I just hope that the lights last long (there are some reports on the net questioning the reliability of Kessils).

The Spectral Controller provides the ability to ramp up and ramp down. It also allows one to control the Red and Amber channels apart from the intensity and color temperature. The lights are hung 13 inches above the water surface and are currently set at 25% intensity, 55% color, 25% Red and 25% Amber. Total light duration in 6 hours with 30 minutes of ramp up and 30 minutes of ramp down. I expect the PAR at substrate to be around 30-35 PAR. I should be getting my hands on a PAR meter in the next few weeks and plan to measure PAR data at various intensities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

That looks great Vijay! I've got a boatload of A. nana 'Petite' available if you want to come down and grab it.
vijay_06 likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
That looks great Vijay! I've got a boatload of A. nana 'Petite' available if you want to come down and grab it.

Good to hear from you Phil. Welcome back! Thanks for the compliment.

I will PM you.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Anubias flower!

Phil Edwards and celadon like this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tank is filling in slowly but surely. No major algae issues so far. Anubias shows some GSA, but it seems to be improving every passing week.

I went on a 4 week vacation recently. Lights were dimmed down to 15% intensity and set for only 5 hours per day during that time. I had someone to feed the fishes every other day, dose fertilizers and top off the water. No water change was done during that period. I was expecting some algae to show up, but there was nothing new apart from the minor GSA on Anubias.

I measured PAR numbers for these Kessils before I went on the vacation. I will be posting them in around 3 weeks.

A couple of pictures on how the tank looks currently:

Phil Edwards likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

That's looking good!!
vijay_06 likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode