My 15 Gallons of Mishaps and Wonders - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mystic Mystus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 15 Gallons of Mishaps and Wonders

Hello everyone! I was a lurker in this forum a while back just didn't post here, like, at all. So here's this little box of wonders that has been with me for almost a decade.

When i was in standard 5, i can across a book-Ultimate Aquarium by Gina Sandford. I was enthralled by the contents of that book. As any young, impressionable child would've done in this situation; i latched onto my father until he provided me with an aquarium. He did give me one, a standard 24*12*12 tank. These five pieces of glass have been the subject of my wickedly weird and mostly uneducated experiments, like the time I fed my oscar a nice brown knife, or the time i thought Channas make good tankmates to livebearers. I did grow up, and picked up some tank education, this time by actually reading the book and not getting distracted by the viciously blue dimidiochromis compressiceps. After that i grew up some more and promptly stopped caring about this tank. it still housed a juvenile Synodontis and Clarias.

One day, I saw a planted tank at a friend's house, and i had to have it. So i went ahead and brought in Aquasoil, PL Lamps and the likes. Since then, I have changed the setups way too many times to count. Being a college student, I keep things lowtech, so not really any scope to experiment with high tech plants. Like everytime, I feel like my current setup is doing better than any of my previous ones. So here's the details:

Dimensions: 24*12*12
Lighting: 36W PLL & 9W CFL
Filter: 1 Internal Power Filter & 1 SOBO WP 308H HOB filter
Substrate: ADA Amazonia(reused)
CO2:none
Ferts:Fluorish Iron, Aquatic Remedies Macro, Aquatic Remedies Micro, Fluorish Iron & API CO2 Booster
Flora: Hyg. corymobosa Siamensis, Hyg. difformis, Aunbias barteri nana, Ludwigia repens x arcuata, Pog. erectus, Myrio sp., HM, AR Mini, AR, Nymphaea stellata, Crypt. undulata, Crypt. "axelrodi", Crypt. "flamingo", Crypt. lucens, Crypt. wendtii "Mi Oya" and an unknown grassy plant that I bought as Cyperus helferi which it clearly isn't.
Fauna: 6 banded rainbows(will be relocated), 6 white clouds, misc. fishes I adopted from my friend's tanks(1 guppy, 1 cherry barb, 1 black phantom tetra), 5 Erethistes pusilus, 1 Pseudolaguvia shawi, 1 Pseudolaguvia riberoi and numerous Caridina babaulti shrimp.

Currently battling BBA.

P.S. I plan on replacing most of the fishes with indian native cyprinids and catfishes, so the fauna list will keep on changing.
tredford likes this.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Tags
bba, catfish, cryptocoryne, lowtech, planted 15 gallon tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode