Architectural betta tank build (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Architectural betta tank build (56k)

Decided the next tank I built needed to be the betta tank I've been promising my wife.

Its going to be a Japanese garden, in a 36" long 30 gallon tank. Heavily planted high tech setup, but featuring mini koi ponds that I made for it using epoxy resin and mini ceramic koi. Driftwood tree with moss on it in each section. The pagoda lanterns illuminated by LEDs so they look like they're actually lit.

The filter is going to be an overhead sump (which I also have to build). Illuminated by 36" and 24" planted+ 24/7 fixtures, all of which will be hidden inside the hood (yes, needs to be built too) that's going to look hopefully look like it was taken straight off a traditional Japanese building.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:15 AM
Algae Grower

Wow! That is very impressive.
adkaquascaping and RCB like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:32 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by celadon View Post
Wow! That is very impressive.

Thatís love.

YaBoiHunt
adkaquascaping and RCB like this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I promised her a tank. And I figure since she's doing all the work bringing our daughter into the world ... I can make her something really awesome. Hoping to have it planted within the next 3 or 4 days. Filter running (seeding it with ceramic media from another tank that I happen to have an extra filter on running just in case I need filter media for a new tank; I try to always keep some on hand ready to go). Hood won't be done for a while longer, but at very least the tank will be up and running and cycling so It can stabilize to move those bettas into.

Still gotta finish sealing background, finish sealing the pagodas and their wiring, reseal the tank since it's older than I am and has original silicone still, set up the filter, get all the hardscape done and air/electrical lines hidden, dividers made and secured into tank, background secured into tank.... Gonna be a busy busy week. But I'm planning to have it done and filled by the upcoming weekend.

RCB and Yaboihunt like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:16 AM
Algae Grower

Keep this thread updated as time goes by?! I would really enjoy watching as it takes shape. Also congratulations to you and your wife on your new little one!!! My girlfriend and I will be having our baby boy in August! Very happy for you and your wife!

YaBoiHunt
RCB likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I definitely will be!

Thank you and congratulations to you two too!

RCB and Yaboihunt like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wife was a little bummed I hadn't kept bubblers in tank since the bettas like em.

Solution? Fire pits. The silicone logs are curing RN. LEDs wired and tested. Rock pits curing.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Now I can keep bubbler on super low and keep bubble smoke rising from the "fire pit"

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:47 AM

Wow... Just wow. This is incredible!! Your hard work sure is paying off! I can't wait to watch how this turns out. Just beautiful

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Secured the LEDs, bubble stones, and silicone "logs" I made last night in place. Fully encased all electrical connections in silicone to waterproof them too. They're curing on that box because I cut holes in it so the air line and electrical cords could come out the bottom of them without putting tension on them until the silicone dries. Turned it into a diy drying rack with a box cutter.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Worked pretty well

JJBTEXAS and tredford like this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Fun idea! Can't wait to see it competed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Leak testing the tank since I resealed it. Decided to try out the fire pits. Wish I could put video up on here. Picture doesn't really do it justice. I need to paint the bottoms white so there isn't so much light out the bottom into the substrate, rather than up and out ... And then just make sure all the connections are waterproofed with silicone. Going to be assembling the major components Saturday if it doesn't leak overnight.

Going to put the pagodas in, and the fire pits. Run the electrical leads and air lines out the back of the tank behind the background we made. Silicone the whole thing in place so water can't get behind it. Make and secure my dividers with silicone. Sunday at work I'm gonna chemical weld the outlet for my overhead sump and assemble that whole thing when I get home. Sunday or Monday night I should be able to find time after work to put the substrate and water and plants in. Then I can seed the filter with the ceramic media I'm pulling from an existing tank (that is over filtered, specifically to keep media cycled for new tanks). Figure two weeks will give plenty of time to jump start the cycle, do a few water changes to get ammonia levels down from leeching substrate... And then hopefully in 2 weeks I'll be moving our bettas over into it.

It's been all fun and exciting up to now. But now... Now comes the whole putting it together bit. .. now is when my craftsmanship gets put to the test.

Immortal1 and tredford like this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 01:18 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Seriously cool ideas in this build. Really like the fire pit / bubbler idea. Won't work in my 75g layout but maybe in my wifes 40g...
Will be following along to see how this turns out. Also, FYI, if you have or create a YouTube account you can upload your video there, then post that link here so others can see your video.
adkaquascaping likes this.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So repairing the soldered connection that I broke by accident took longer than expected; it was more of a challenge to get the silicone I back filled it with out to waterproof the LEDs than I thought it would be. But electrical is repaired and waterproofed again. Front of the dividers is secured. Top of the back of them is also secured. Tomorrow I'll be able to finish hooking those in place. Then Wednesday I can get the bags of scapers soil and all my plants into it. Hopefully get the filter going and cycling on Thursday.

Then once I make the hood. . . There will be almost no visible filtration, no visible wires or air lines. Only thing that'll really stand out is if I do end up going high tech with it and need to put a diffuser in (since there's no way to integrate it in line with the overhead sump I'm making it'll have to go in tank)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode